Sign in to follow this  
Guest deathgal

60 Minutes

Guest deathgal

60 Minutes II has been canceled by CBS. Will the 87 year old Wallace be next?

I'm a Brit so have no idea what/who you are talking about but 87 is a ripe old age. :D

• Like 1

At one point i suggested him but accounting on that hes 87 and was still up and working on his show i think he may have a couple years left within him.

Guest DeathLister

Without a doubt, 87 is an old age, but Mike Wallace shows no signs of rapidly declining health or any indication that he is soon to die. I wouldn't be surprised to see him live to 100.

Mike Wallace suffers from rather severe depression and if he hasn't offed himself yet then the odds are he won't and since he still appears weekly on 60 Minutes(of left wing garbage) a weekly television news-magazine (very little in the way of real or honest news), on Sunday evenings at 7 p.m. Eastern Standard time, on CBS, uh, what was the question again?

Oh yes the thing is that entire series has octagenerians.

Andy Rooney born in 1919.

Mike Wallace born in 1918.

Morley Safer born in 1931 but looks like it could be reversed numbers and he may have been born in 1913.

Ed Bradley born in 1941 but looks a lot older than that.

and none of them seem ready to polish the chrome just yet.

On the brighter side 60 MinutesII the Wednesday show has died. It's met up with the HH axe.

News has arrived or arrove that Arthur Bloom a big time founder of the weekly televeision program series 60 Minutes frequently viewed by our very own Banshhees Screams bit the dust.....croaked.....kicked off....had his watch stopped. He was 63 and died at his picturesque home in Grandview-on-Hudson New York the cause of death was cancer.

The man is dead. Dead as a ducat! Deader than a bad episode of East Enders or Suddenly Molly. Deader even than Polonius. He helped found the weekly newsmagazine on CBS back before Dan Rather was called Kenneth and Walter Cronkite was still alive. bEfore Ed Bradley had arrived on the scene or wore that silly ear ring or tried to run me over with his car at York Avenue and 70th Street. However in those days Mike Wallace, Morley Safer and even Andy Rooney were there as they still are.

Anyway he is dead. The only news article available so far has been from NEWSDAY a rather bland paper but then again aren't they mostly? Here's a link although it may not last so try to get it while you can. Arthur Bloom at Newsday He was 18 when he joined CBS back in the older days somewheres around 1961 when Kennedy was President. When CBS formed 60 Minutes Bloom was a founder and even lent his Minerva Stop watch to create the shows iconic ticking image.

He is survived by his wife Maria who he was wed to for 40 years, his daughter Jill Bloom-Butterman, a son Scott and his favorite surviving brother Richard along with 4 grandchildren.

Guest iain

top CBS newsman Arthur Bloom has died of cancer at 63

[Moved from Near Misses for 2006 thread -ff]

Edited by football_fan

Hello there moderators since Iainainain has now posted this (once more without READING through to seee if the topic existed......) maybe you can merge this with his thiredade. Thanks ever so much.

[Done - ff]

Edited by football_fan

I reckon Near Misses was the right place for it though.

It would be, but this thread was already in existence for 1 day before iain posted to the Near Misses thread.

Perhaps we can make the most of this thread and use it to discuss other people from 60 Minutes?

I know a lot of them are fairly old, but none are all that infirm to my knowledge... :(

Perhaps we can make the most of this thread and use it to discuss other people from 60 Minutes?

I know a lot of them are fairly old, but none are all that infirm to my knowledge...  :(

The cast of 60 minutes are:

Morley Safer, 74 – b. Nov 8th, 1931 (Toronto, Canada)

Ed Bradley, 64 – b. Jun 22, 1941 (Philadelphia, PA)

Mike Wallace, 87 – b. Mar 9, 1918 (Brookline, MA)

Lesley Stahl, 64 – b. Dec 16, 1941 (Lynn, MA)

Andy Rooney, 87 – b. Jan 14, 1919 (Albany, NY)

60 minutes

I know a lot of them are fairly old, but none are all that infirm to my knowledge...  :(

60 minutes

Andy Rooney, he looks like a good bet,

any relation to Mickey?

60 minutes

Hmmm... I guess I was wrong... probably because I was mistakenly thinking that Walter Cronkite was on 60 Minutes.... I guess I was just thinking CBS in general. :lol:

Hmmm... I guess I was wrong... probably because I was mistakenly thinking that Walter Cronkite was on 60 Minutes.... I guess I was just thinking CBS in general.  :(

Walter had enough common sense to stay away from 60 minutes he was a real newsman... ....and a darned sexy one too I might add......

walter_cronkite.jpg

And for what' its worht Paul I thought your idea was a fine one when you consider how OLD some of those geezers are at 60 minutes.

I had forgotten of this thread until just this very moment. So any further ideas about what happened to Bob Scheifer?

Mike Wallace retiring from 60 Minutes.

I'll post without comment. Read into it what you want.

I predict with his long lingering depression and his advanced (87) years he will not surrvive until the next tiome CBS has a hit show.

Mike Wallace retiring from 60 Minutes.

I'll post without comment. Read into it what you want.

I predict with his long lingering depression and his advanced (87) years he will not surrvive until the next tiome CBS has a hit show.

The CNN Website state this in their report on Mike Wallace's retirement

""He'll still be in the building, will still do an occasional piece," (Kevin) Tedesco said Thursday. "It's not a retirement. It's a new status."

He's retiring being a regular corresponent, but they're giving him a "reduced role" on the program

He's slowing down, and I don't know of any diseases that could hasten his decline. Until I hear the word 'cancer' or 'heart problems' or 'meth induced psychosis', I'm going to continue to think that Wallace will live into his 90's.

Poor George......

and poor Martha as well......

according to the obituary his wife his President of the Martha Stewart Fan Club.

Oh wait it says Martha Stewart Omnimedia...

Then again maybe not.

The way it was written is sort of sloppy and confusing....well, here take a look for yourself:

"Survivors include, his wife Susan Lyne, President of Martha Stewart Omnimedia Living, four daughters and two sisters." It may be that the President is someone other than his wife.

Oh well either way he seems to be dead.

I had forgotten of this thread until just this very moment. So any further ideas about what happened to Bob Scheifer?

Well, according to a news search this very morn; I find that Mr.Scheiffer has just received the Fred Friendly First Ammendment Award through Quinnipiac University.

Come October 3rd of this year he is scheduled to meet the roasters at the 18th annual Spina Bifida Association roast. It is said that he will be the Roastee, which Mr.Schieffer adds is for a good cause. In the same article I was able to cull more information, including that Mr.Schieffer began his news carreer as a reporter for the Fort Worth-Star Telegram at a whopping salary of One hundred and fifteen dollars weekly. Would anybody know his current salary or net-worth?

I know a lot of them are fairly old, but none are all that infirm to my knowledge... ;)

This a fabulous idea C.P. You must be commended for this divine suggestion.

I know a lot of them are fairly old, but none are all that infirm to my knowledge... ;)

This a fabulous idea C.P. You must be commended for this divine suggestion.

To respond to your sarcasm, this thread used to be titled "Arthur Bloom" before some kindly mod took up my suggestion and changed it into a 60 Minutes thread. :lol: