harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Boxing Clever?

Perennial heavyweight contender Carl "The Truth" Williams dead of œsophagal cancer at 53. He fought pretty much every major name of his day - Tyson, Bruno, Holmes, Morrison, Witherspoon - and lost to them all. He was robbed against Holmes, though.

British boxing scene publicist/writer/general all-round busybody, Andrew Millwall, has died at the age of 53. He's a unique pick for me in the DDP so I'm just gonna sit here and hope Steve Bunce mentions him in his Independent column.

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/emile-griffith-dies-age-75-former-champion-072313

Emile Griffith - gay, black boxer who beat Cuban opponent Benny Paret to death in 1962 - has died aged 75 as a result of dementia.

If anyone wants to watch the grisly footage, here it is. Skip to about 1:50.

Paret really shouldn't have called him a "maricon" (Spanish slang for "Faggot") at the weigh-in/press conference.....

• Like 1

http://msn.foxsports...champion-072313

Emile Griffith - gay, black boxer who beat Cuban opponent Benny Paret to death in 1962 - has died aged 75 as a result of dementia.

If anyone wants to watch the grisly footage, here it is. Skip to about 1:50.

Paret really shouldn't have called him a "maricon" (Spanish slang for "Faggot") at the weigh-in/press conference.....

And they say boxing is in decline these days...

"Probably the tamest round of the entire fight"...just as a guy gets beaten to death

Amir Khan must be relieved he wasn't born 50 years earlier :blink:

British middleweight Billy Smith has committed suicide, aged 35. He fought 160 times, losing on no less than 145 occasions.

Billy Smith's twin brother Ernie, also a boxer, also killed himself in 2010, after his 161st fight. :huh:

Seems like a fight with

Kdd8bJE.png

could have gone either way

Another year, another "Tommy Morrison is days away from dying from AIDS/Tommy Morrison says that AIDS doesn't exist" story. I think this is the time the germ finally finishes him off, tbh.

Is this the same guy who was in Rocky V as "Tommy Gunn"? I seem to remember hearing he had HIV a while back. I did a Google but he looks so different in what seem to be the "latest" pics, that I can't believe it's him. BTW yes I'm aware HIV fucks people up.

Another year, another "Tommy Morrison is days away from dying from AIDS/Tommy Morrison says that AIDS doesn't exist" story. I think this is the time the germ finally finishes him off, tbh.

Is this the same guy who was in Rocky V as "Tommy Gunn"? I seem to remember hearing he had HIV a while back. I did a Google but he looks so different in what seem to be the "latest" pics, that I can't believe it's him. BTW yes I'm aware HIV fucks people up.

Dead. http://8countnews.com/index.php/boxing/boxing-news/979-former-heavyweight-champ-tommy-morrison-has-died.html

The first of Rocky's opponents to die, unless the past 30 seconds I've spent googling is wrong.

Former World heavyweight champ Ken Norton ko'd at 70.

Former World heavyweight champ Ken Norton ko'd at 70.

Ali's outlasting all his rivals...

...George Foreman will surely win in the end.

By my quick fag packet calculations, 27 of Ali's opponents are still alive (28 if you count Parkinson's), with Jimmy Robinson having vanished off the face of the planet (the subject of this fascinating article).

• Like 2

So Henry Cooper (put Ali on canvas in 1963), Ken Norton (beat Ali in 1973) and Joe Frazier (beat Ali in 1971) have all passed away in the last three years. Trevor Berbick died in 2006. That leaves Leon Spinks and Larry Holmes looking over thier shoulders...

So Henry Cooper (put Ali on canvas in 1963), Ken Norton (beat Ali in 1973) and Joe Frazier (beat Ali in 1971) have all passed away in the last three years. Trevor Berbick died in 2006. That leaves Leon Spinks and Larry Holmes looking over thier shoulders...

Plus Ron Lyle (was beating Ali clearly on all three cards before the referee stopped the fight for no apparent reason) died in 2011, and Jimmy Young (utterly ridiculous decision, Ali markedly lost this one) died in 2005.

It's almost as if being repeatedly punched in the skull is bad for your health or something.

• Like 2

The irony is that those dodgy decisions which otherwise have ended Ali's career in 1976 rather than 1981 may have contributed to Ali's health problems...

The irony is that those dodgy decisions which otherwise have ended Ali's career in 1976 rather than 1981 may have contributed to Ali's health problems...

Is this the truth? Is there any proof that Ali's boxing career shouldn't have seen the 1980's?

Is this the truth? Is there any proof that Ali's boxing career shouldn't have seen the 1980's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz3vkUvuVO4

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz3vkUvuVO4

Right on, bro.

That is the equivalent of seeing an actress from a sitcom from the gods, like say Pauline McLynn, pitching up in a shite "oirish" tragedy of a comedy, which may have put another rusty nail in British sitcom's coffin...

The British Situation Comedy: 1946-2013. Rest in Peace...

Right on, bro.

That is the equivalent of seeing an actress from a sitcom from the gods, like say Pauline McLynn, pitching up in a shite "oirish" tragedy of a comedy, which may have put another rusty nail in British sitcom's coffin...

The British Situation Comedy: 1946-2013. Rest in Peace...

Eh? I must assume you are talking about "Father Figure"? Sorry, last time I actually tried paying attention to what they show on BBC1 it took 3 days before I managed to convince myself to stop flushing my own head in the toilet. Is it on the same level as The Wright Way?

• Like 1