maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Wasn't sure whether this should go here or in the 'G'bye mate' thread, but Australian guitarist Rowland S. Howard (The Birthday Party) has lost his battle with liver cancer, aged 50. Link to Aussie obit here.

From Another article:

"Howard's last public performance was at St Kilda's Prince Bandroom in October. He struggled through the gig, coughing and spitting up blood" - how very punk!

• Like 1

We should probably keep a watching brief on Ben Watt, international DJ, former half of Everything but the Girl and solo artist. He's doing well and recently celebrated his 47th birthday. But - after a bout of life threatening illness - his intestines are down to about three feet in length and his future involves dieting carefully and taking the tablets.

On a similar note, Bis frontwoman Manda Rin has been battling multiple sclerosis for over a decade now, which while not being a short-term health concern, probably marks her down as a potential suicide risk.

Rin was memorably described in an NME review once as singing "like a stuck pig on a sugar rush".

On a similar note, Bis frontwoman Manda Rin has been battling multiple sclerosis for over a decade now, which while not being a short-term health concern, probably marks her down as a potential suicide risk.

Rin was memorably described in an NME review once as singing "like a stuck pig on a sugar rush".

Given plans for band reformation and festival dates plus the cheery and active nature of her blog, I wouldn't put her on suicide watch any time soon.

We should probably keep a watching brief on Ben Watt, international DJ, former half of Everything but the Girl and solo artist. He's doing well and recently celebrated his 47th birthday. But - after a bout of life threatening illness - his intestines are down to about three feet in length and his future involves dieting carefully and taking the tablets.

Sh..!

Complete shite, albeit catchy, annoyingly catchy.

Lardy, there really is no beginning to your musical taste! :rolleyes:

Catchy like

?

Listen gramps, just because your musical enjoyment starts and ends in 1972, doesn't mean the rest of us should miss out on aural gems produced since then. However, just for you,

is some proper music from just after your time :banghead:

Geronimo, those legs!!! :rolleyes:

Sally Carr, Scotlands finest body of 71.

As for you, Lardy, you bloody ninja, I was never really into the Pistols as I was only 11 in 76.

I do, however, remember seeing the death throes of the career of Bill Grundy as he "interviewed" them on the Today programme. Pure gold.

Anyway this is more my kinda thing.

Well I AM an old fucker, arent I ?

Geronimo, those legs!!! ;)

As for you, Lardy, you bloody ninja, I was never really into the Pistols as I was only 11 in 76.

I do, however, remember seeing the death throes of the career of Bill Grundy as he "interviewed" them on the Today programme. Pure gold.

OMFSM, we're the same age.

Geronimo, those legs!!! ;)

The television equivalent of all those 'hundreds' who saw them at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester earlier in 1976...;)

Manda Rin! Haha! I only just got that! 13 days, not bad for me!

New Zealand singer Pauly Fuemana has died at the age of 40. He led the band OMC, who had a worldwide hit with the bloody annoying "How Bizarre" in 1995.

Doug Fieger

The lead singer of one hit wonders "The Knack" has died of cancer at the age of 57. Points for 6 teams on the DDP when the appropriate obits arrive!

That brings to mind one of Mark Lamarr's better quips on "Never Mind the Buzzcocks" when discussing said band. He referred to an article which had been put out around the time of their big hit "My Sharona" which said something like "The Knack - are they the next Beatles?". "I don't see any bands around called 'The Bootleg Knack'! ".

Doug Fieger

The lead singer of one hit wonders "The Knack" has died of cancer at the age of 57. Points for 6 teams on the DDP when the appropriate obits arrive!

That brings to mind one of Mark Lamarr's better quips on "Never Mind the Buzzcocks" when discussing said band. He referred to an article which had been put out around the time of their big hit "My Sharona" which said something like "The Knack - are they the next Beatles?". "I don't see any bands around called 'The Bootleg Knack'! ".

Reuters UK obit.

Hall & Oates bassist T-Bone Wolk is now officially "As Cold As Ice"

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...Q5Rq-QD9E62UEG0

Nice attempt at a pun but I do believe Cold As Ice was a hit by Foreigner... :lol:

Yeah but........(S)he's Gone!