maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

70s rocker Willy DeVille has Spanish Strolled off into the sunset. That song always made me regard him as a poor man's Lou Reed. Which isn't much of a compliment, I know, and probably more than a little unfair.

He sure does have a whopping wiki page.

feck feck feck.........I'm changing my CPDP team through gritted teeth. He was first pick.

• Like 1

Blitzkrieg guitarist Ian Jones has died, though you can still contact him through Myspace apparently.

Session musician Larry Knechtel has died. A multi instrumentalist, he played the piano on Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water", lead guitar on Bread's "Guitar Man" and bass on The Byrd's "Mr Tamborine Man". :ph34r:

Jake Brockman

The former keyboard player with Echo and the Bunnymen, often referred to as "the fifth Bunnyman" has died in a motorcycle accident on the Isle of Man. He was 53 years old. He became a full-time member of the band in 1989 having played keyboards with them for some years. This echoes :rolleyes: drummer Pete de Freitas' death in similar circumstances in 1989.

Jon Eydmann, former manager of Suede, has died of a heart attack after jumping in to a lake.

Guy Babylon, keyboardist with Elton John's touring band, has died of a heart attack after jumping in to a swimming pool.

Jon Eydmann, former manager of Suede, has died of a heart attack after jumping in to a lake.

Sad to hear that news. He was an acquaintance, rather than a friend, of mine back in the Britpop days. We bought each other a beer or two as we propped up the bar at the Garage or Dingwalls while slagging off some no-hoper indie band or other. Hey-ho, that was the scene. RIP.

Sad to hear that news. He was an acquaintance, rather than a friend, of mine back in the Britpop days. We bought each other a beer or two as we propped up the bar at the Garage or Dingwalls while slagging off some no-hoper indie band or other. Hey-ho, that was the scene. RIP.

I wish their previous manager would suddenly drop dead. Make my day that would....

I wish their previous manager would suddenly drop dead. Make my day that would....

In case anyone was wondering, that was Mr Gervais. Maybe this is the place to declare my own personal Pete Bestness, as we turned down Nude Records about a month before they signed Suede and went on to world (oh alright, London) domination.

Probably for the best, it's a sh*t business. Etc.

In case anyone was wondering, that was Mr Gervais. Maybe this is the place to declare my own personal Pete Bestness, as we turned down Nude Records about a month before they signed Suede and went on to world (oh alright, London) domination.

Probably for the best, it's a sh*t business. Etc.

And who is this 'we'? Was this a bid for pop superstardom?

C'mon, spill the beans...

Bassist Mark Smith has been found dead at age 49.

Played with Roxy Music, George Michael, Robbie Williams amongst others.

Bassist Mark Smith has been found dead at age 49.

Played with Roxy Music, George Michael, Robbie Williams amongst others.

So this is a drum'n'bass thread now, right?

Suede and water don't mix.

Singer Vic Chesnutt isn't showing much festive spirit. He's in a coma after attempting suicide. :(

I read this interview a couple of months ago in which he claims to have tried it three or four times, but I thought it was a bit obscure to post.

According to some reports he's got it right this time.

Merry Christmas everyone.

[Edit: On balance, it seems he's still alive - I guess he flies below the TMZ radar

Edit - the final chapter - he's dead. Now, I never want to hear about him again.]

Singer Vic Chesnutt isn't showing much festive spirit. He's in a coma after attempting suicide. :(

Perhaps he'll be a chestnut roasting on an open fire by boxing day??

That should be, Chestnutt's roasting on an open pyre

Perhaps he'll be a chestnut roasting on an open fire by boxing day??

That should be, Chestnutt's roasting on an open pyre

worms are nipping at his toes.....

I read this interview a couple of months ago in which he claims to have tried it three or four times, but I thought it was a bit obscure to post.

Edit - the final chapter - he's dead.

Another to add to my (surprisingly short) 'people I've seen in concert who are now dead' list. I saw him support Kristin Hersh in 1994. Wasn't particularly impressed to be honest.

Who else have you seen recently, VT?

Can you post a list in the next few days or so? :(

Who else have you seen recently, VT?

Can you post a list in the next few days or so? :lol:

I saw Atomic Kitten (probably best not to ask the circumstances) when Kerry Katona was still with them so... you know, wishful thinking and all that :(

Steeleye Span founder Tim Hart died of inoperable lung cancer on Christmas Eve. Was last seen in late 2008, joining Maddy Prior at her Electric Proms gig.

I shall stick a finger in my ear and sing something involving the words "rake" and "hey nonny nonny" in memory.

There's obviously a bit more life in Van Morrison than you'd expect from the usual corpulent, heavy drinking 64 year old.

Who's the daddy now, or summat.

Wasn't sure whether this should go here or in the 'G'bye mate' thread, but Australian guitarist Rowland S. Howard (The Birthday Party) has lost his battle with liver cancer, aged 50. Link to Aussie obit here.

BBC Radio Two have just run a - belated - report on the death of Tim Hart. That's points for them as picked him, right?

• Like 1