Davey Jones' Locker

Who Should Be On The 2016 Deathlist?

Yes, indeed, Toast.

I think the gender gap needs to be closed somewhat, there need to be more women on the list (especially since the mortality rate for women is just as high as for men - 100%). And I believe that an appropriate criterion for "Death List eligibility" should be a BBC obit in most cases.

But putting those two together is hard. Eva Marie Saint is an obvious possibility. Joni Mitchell, probably not, if the reports about her recovery are correct. Maybe Imelda Marcos, or Gina Lollobrigida. Outside chances for Vanessa Redgrave or Honor Blackman.

I like how this year saw a certain decline in the names that were solely on the list because of their age - for one, we can replace them with other names prominent and old enough, especially Hugh Hefner. Maybe also Sir Neville Marriner,

Obligatory random names to increase diversity: Sir Jeremy Morse, Judith Kerr, Boutros-Boutros Ghali, Jihadi John, Lord Carrington, Albert Uderzo

Dead, with obligatory telegraph obit:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/12140770/Sir-Jeremy-Morse-banker-obituary.html

He was also a proficient crossword creator, I believe there's a special term for it. He could have been a very creative pick for the Death List.

Didn't Colin Dexter name Morse after him?

(It probably says this in the obit, but it wants me to disable my adblocker and I can't be arsed so I didn't read on)

Yes he was

Inspector Morse, the donnish detective invented by Colin Dexter, was said to have been named after him, and partially modelled on him in personality.

I think the gender gap needs to be closed somewhat, there need to be more women on the list (especially since the mortality rate for women is just as high as for men - 100%). And I believe that an appropriate criterion for "Death List eligibility" should be a BBC obit in most cases.

But putting those two together is hard. Eva Marie Saint is an obvious possibility. Joni Mitchell, probably not, if the reports about her recovery are correct. Maybe Imelda Marcos, or Gina Lollobrigida. Outside chances for Vanessa Redgrave or Honor Blackman.

I like how this year saw a certain decline in the names that were solely on the list because of their age - for one, we can replace them with other names prominent and old enough, especially Hugh Hefner. Maybe also Sir Neville Marriner,

Obligatory random names to increase diversity: Sir Jeremy Morse, Judith Kerr, Boutros-Boutros Ghali, Jihadi John, Lord Carrington, Albert Uderzo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/12140770/Sir-Jeremy-Morse-banker-obituary.html

He was also a proficient crossword creator, I believe there's a special term for it. He could have been a very creative pick for the Death List.

(It probably says this in the obit, but it wants me to disable my adblocker and I can't be arsed so I didn't read on)

It's right in the sub-head!

Sir Jeremy Morse, banker - obituary Lloyds Bank chairman with a passion for poetry who inspired the eponymous fictional detective

It's right in the sub-head!

Sir Jeremy Morse, banker - obituary Lloyds Bank chairman with a passion for poetry who inspired the eponymous fictional detective

I couldn't read it - it was obscured by a huge banner that blanked out the lot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reg_Grundy

Nope Reg Grundy still alive aged 92.☺

No he's not. Reg Grundy dead aged 92.

Wow. Was it on a Sunday, or on a Monday? Either way, can't wait for poetry day.

Died in Bermuda so I surmise it was Sunday.

• Like 1