maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

I have just crunched some numbers comparing acts that had UK No.1 hits in 1957, 1967 & 1977.

In 57 there were 11 acts who had a No.1. Still living there are four solo artists (Tommy Steele, Tab Hunter, Paul Anka & Harry Belafonte) in addition there is one cricket (Jerry Allison) So 4.25/11 is 38.6%.

A similar analysis for 67 gives 7.33333/12 = 61% and for 77 12.683333/16 = 79.3%.

The only person who is on more than one list is Paul McCartney.

So we should lose 2.7 acts from the 67 list in the next 10 years.

• Like 1

I have just crunched some numbers comparing acts that had UK No.1 hits in 1957, 1967 & 1977.

In 57 there were 11 acts who had a No.1. Still living there are four solo artists (Tommy Steele, Tab Hunter, Paul Anka & Harry Belafonte) in addition there is one cricket (Jerry Allison) So 4.25/11 is 38.6%.

A similar analysis for 67 gives 7.33333/12 = 61% and for 77 12.683333/16 = 79.3%.

Putting aside the question of why, this is an interesting piece of analysis. Of the '57 names, Tab is writing books, Paul is still performing, Harry is still an activist and Tommy is crap as Glen Miller (a horrendous piece of miscasting). Hard to say who would go first (though Tommy Steele is dying more often). What about letting us see the rest of the lists?

• Like 1

Jerry Allison is the last remaining original Cricket, he still performs at festivals and the annual show each February at The Surf Ballroom with Sonny Curtis and Glen Hardin, both of whom are in their late 70s

• Like 1

Its good............but its not RA good...... :)

• Like 2

Putting aside the question of why, this is an interesting piece of analysis. Of the '57 names, Tab is writing books, Paul is still performing, Harry is still an activist and Tommy is crap as Glen Miller (a horrendous piece of miscasting). Hard to say who would go first (though Tommy Steele is dying more often). What about letting us see the rest of the lists?

The why is because next year will be 40, 50 & 60 years and you have a comparative set of data.

I am off on holiday now but will expand when I get back.

The why is because next year will be 40, 50 & 60 years and you have a comparative set of data.

I am off on holiday now but will expand when I get back.

Tease.

• Like 1

Jerry Allison is the last remaining original Cricket, he still performs at festivals and the annual show each February at The Surf Ballroom with Sonny Curtis and Glen Hardin, both of whom are in their late 70s

Lol Sir Creep mentions Jerry Allison a couple weeks ago and he's been mentioned no less than 3 times since.

SC

• Like 1

Lol Sir Creep mentions Jerry Allison a couple weeks ago and he's been mentioned no less than 3 times since.

SC

Phantom is accessing the site via his phone and can't be arsed to search. Phantom also doesn't like when people refer to themselves in 3rd person

• Like 3

SC

Fewer! :angry:

Did Stannis Baratheon die in vain?

• Like 3

Trisco Pearson of the Force MDs, who had a UK #23 in 1986 with Tender Love, has reportedly died from cancer. http://allhiphop.com/2016/09/17/legendary-group-force-mds-announce-death-group-member-trisco-pearson/. The only original surviving member of the group is Shawn Waters out of 5 performers. Phew!

Tender Love: .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW_vpwbERBo

• Like 1

Frank Secich, bassist for Stiv Bators Band, Blue Ash and more recently The Deadbeat Poets has just been released from hospital following hip replacement surgery.
He hasn't been in the best of health recently following a couple of severe asthma attacks and now this.

Trisco Pearson of the Force MDs, who had a UK #23 in 1986 with Tender Love, has reportedly died from cancer. http://allhiphop.com/2016/09/17/legendary-group-force-mds-announce-death-group-member-trisco-pearson/. The only original surviving member of the group is Shawn Waters out of 5 performers. Phew!

Tender Love: .

I count two survivors yet, but even so, still that's not a good result

AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams calls it quits. That only leaves Angus Young as the one founding member. So, I expect the death of the band after the tour ends.

Bon Scott - Dead.

Malcolm Young - dementia.

Brian Johnson - Hearing problems.

Phil Rudd - Breaking the law....

Hell, if Angus leaves, means Axl Rose is left! :sherlock:

• Like 1

AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams calls it quits. That only leaves Angus Young as the one founding member. So, I expect the death of the band after the tour ends.

Bon Scott - Dead.

Malcolm Young - dementia.

Brian Johnson - Hearing problems.

Phil Rudd - Breaking the law....

Hell, if Angus leaves, means Axl Rose is left! :sherlock:

That would be a touch too much.

• Like 1

Going by recent photos of Bobby Vee posted from his son's (Robby) Facebook page, he's starting to look more and more frail.

Could be one to watch for next year.

One for us 80s kids.

Billy Franks, the lead singer of The Faith Brothers who had a couple of Top 75 hits in 1985, has reportedly died. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ellie-rashbrook-1?utm_campaign=projectpage-share-owner&utm_content=ellie-rashbrook-1&utm_medium=Yimbyprojectpage&utm_source=Facebook&utm_term=EaE3j5Y2e

Also wrote the book A Far Cry From Sunset.

To brighten your Saturday, here's The Country Of The Blind (UK #63): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY5nS_1AlT0

• Like 1

Dural, leader of the band Buckwheat Zydeco and sometimes even appearing under that same name, dead:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/2016/09/24/dural-leader-buckwheat-zydeco-passes-away/90910752/

One sneaky pick for 2017 gone.

He was on the long list with a large "?" around his QO capabilities. (Also known as my Deathrace short list, then...)

Just to brag, he was on my draft 2017 team without a QO worry. Figured he had enough Grammy love to get an AP/Reuters obit.

Just to brag, he was on my draft 2017 team without a QO worry. Figured he had enough Grammy love to get an AP/Reuters obit.

Daily Mail, even.

This puts the gimme I stumbled across the other night direct into my draft team. Bound to get a Mail obit at this rate.

Hehe, I thought he was a typical DQSP pick, had him In my draft as well.

The Reuters UK QO is already there. I had thought that a Guardian obit is assured as well.