themaninblack

28 Years Of The Deathlist!

Who'd have thought that a conversation in a student bar on the death of Cary Grant

could have led to all this.... :ph34r:

(probably) Britain's longst running 'Dead Pool'.

drygulchramblersvw3.jpg Who's who?

• Like 1

I can imagine Grim Reaper being the goody goody of the crowd - only one beer and a half for him and then it's back to the dorm to study Algebraic expression.

Then in the upper right corner on the cheap TV which hangs Carey Grant is shown being carried away dead by the medical team on the stretcher. Then Grim Reaper had a few more beers and he figured it all out.

Only if people really listened to their ideas more often. One day it just might spark something genius.

Cary Grant wasn't dead yet in that picture, he was on his way to the hospital and died a few hours later.

Today is the 21st Anniversary of Cary Grant's death, whch led inevitably to the Deathlist itself so.....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEATHLIST!

:D

He died? When did that happen?

Happy 5th birthday to the Deathlist Forum. :ph34r:

Looking back at GR's first post is like watching in black and white, or those early Simpsons when Homer had a different voice. No pictures, and primitive links and quoting.

Probably had just about as many regular posters as now, though. :)

Looking back at GR's first post is like watching in black and white, or those early Simpsons when Homer had a different voice. No pictures, and primitive links and quoting.

Thing is, was there a website devoted to the list before this one?

In what medium were the previous lists dating back to the 1980s published?

Guest Hellboy

Happy Birthday to the creators of the original Death List site. Inspired work.

Thing is, was there a website devoted to the list before this one?

In what medium were the previous lists dating back to the 1980s published?

The idea of guessing who will die next is probably as old as humanity itself.

Recent findings suggest that the first Deathlist Forum may have appeared on the walls of a prehistoric cave in Croatia:

TMIB, circa 35,000 BC: But why ? Why can't it be on the list?

Grim Reaper, circa 35,000 BC: Because it's against the rules.

TMIB: But that's not fair. There's hardly any left, anyway.

Grim Reaper: I don't care how many of them are left !!*&%$??@!!. I'm not putting "Any Given Neanderthal" on the list and that's final.

TMIB: Oh bugger.

• Like 1

I've heard a rumour that Jezebel herself was the first to be accused of post-whoring.

• Like 1

HAPPY 22ND BIRTHDAY, DEATHLIST!

:crossbone:

22 years of Deathlist. Well, I've helped set the tone around here and for now I will continue observing the world of death. Let's remember that if it weren't for all of our regulars this hobby wouldn't exist.

Anyway, I changed my avatar earlier today and it consists of actual statistical data concerning death. Some of the numbers are difficult to see but the image resembles the face of death or at least it seems that way. I like it.

22 years of Deathlist. Well, I've helped set the tone around here and for now I will continue observing the world of death. Let's remember that if it weren't for all of our regulars this hobby wouldn't exist.

Anyway, I changed my avatar earlier today and it consists of actual statistical data concerning death. Some of the numbers are difficult to see but the image resembles the face of death or at least it seems that way. I like it.

If you had helped set the tone BS, this forum would be full of bollocks.....which it isn't.

Your avatar is merely a confusing mishmash of tripe, a bit like you, actually.

Dont take it to heart fella, the forum needs its bollocks as much as it needs its brains.

I hope you understand that people in the United States do not use the word "bollocks". What exactly are you trying to say? If I'm bollocks what does that make you? I admit that I take you as a very vulgar individual. I realize that I haven't posted the greatest material for first impressions but it's insulting to have somebody like you describe my value.

I hope you understand that people in the United States do not use the word "bollocks". What exactly are you trying to say? If I'm bollocks what does that make you? I admit that I take you as a very vulgar individual. I realize that I haven't posted the greatest material for first impressions but it's insulting to have somebody like you describe my value.

So what if people in the good ole US of A don't use the word bollocks - is there a rule on this forum that says we must only indulge in Yankspeak? Allow me to ease you into the wonderful world of bollocks - bollocks is a fantastic word that can be employed to good use in a range of topics, the first and obvious being one's testicles, i.e 'I shagged that bag lady from Fraserburgh last night and now my bollocks are itching like a bitch'. Secondly, it can be used as an exclamation of frustration, i.e. 'Bollocks! I've lost my wallet and now I can't find any money to pay for my appointment at the VD clinic to sort out my itchy bollocks'. Thirdly, and probably most aptly for you, my old chum, it can be used to describe something that is utter f*****g shite, thus 'The majority of Banshees' posts are complete bollocks'.

Please, don't hesitate to ask if you are confused by any other phrase that comes out of our fair land - I'll be more than happy to explain cuntbubble, dickwad,

f uckwit, cockspanner (Copyright LFN), knob jockey, flange and spunkbucket.

Hope that's not too vulgar for you - have a nice day!

• Haha 1

So what if people in the good ole US of A don't use the word bollocks - is there a rule on this forum that says we must only indulge in Yankspeak? Allow me to ease you into the wonderful world of bollocks - bollocks is a fantastic word that can be employed to good use in a range of topics, the first and obvious being one's testicles, i.e 'I shagged that bag lady from Fraserburgh last night and now my bollocks are itching like a bitch'. Secondly, it can be used as an exclamation of frustration, i.e. 'Bollocks! I've lost my wallet and now I can't find any money to pay for my appointment at the VD clinic to sort out my itchy bollocks'. Thirdly, and probably most aptly for you, my old chum, it can be used to describe something that is utter f*****g shite, thus 'The majority of Banshees' posts are complete bollocks'.

Please, don't hesitate to ask if you are confused by any other phrase that comes out of our fair land - I'll be more than happy to explain cuntbubble, dickwad,

LB I must add for clarification that Banshees is definitely not the dogs bollocks, would you not agree?

LB I must add for clarification that Banshees is definitely not the dogs bollocks, would you not agree?

Of course, how remiss of me to omit that most brilliant use of the word, and you are correct, Banshees is not the dog's bollocks - however I have no doubt that he sits in front of the mirror, panting whilst trying lick his own testicles, in the style of a slightly mangy cross-breed that hasn't been out for a walk in a long while.

Guest Guest
I have no doubt that he sits in front of the mirror, panting whilst trying lick his own testicles, in the style of a slightly mangy cross-breed that hasn't been out for a walk in a long while.

Maybe you need to go out for a little walk Lard Bazarr. :rolleyes:

I have no doubt that he sits in front of the mirror, panting whilst trying lick his own testicles, in the style of a slightly mangy cross-breed that hasn't been out for a walk in a long while.

Maybe you need to go out for a little walk Lard Bazarr. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, why is that then?

BS, do you know if the first Sex Pistols album - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols - is currently available under that name in the USA? It came out there with that title in 1977 and a similar sleeve to the UK release.

BS, do you know if the first Sex Pistols album - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols - is currently available under that name in the USA? It came out there with that title in 1977 and a similar sleeve to the UK release.

Yes it is - I used to have it. It's a pink sleeve with a green banner.

51FTDX31ABL._SL110_.jpg

I know, I know, I'm not BS. Sue me. :rolleyes:

HAPPY 23RD BIRTHDAY, DEATHLIST!!!

:)

Oh, Happy Birthday DL.

Still as smug and as irrelevant as ever.....

• Haha 1

Happy Birthday DL

Respect on 23 solid years of educating, informing and entertaining. Lord Reith would be proud, or summat.

The brand is 24 today and is currently trading at 3893, up 14 points. To celebrate, I'll have another look for the 1988 list; maybe it's down the back of the sofa or stuck between dog-eared copies of Now That's What I Call Music Vols 11 (Climie Fisher) and 12 (Glenn Medeiros).

Could one of the two or three remaining mods/admins update the thread title, please?

Edit: thanks.

Edited by Lady Grendel
You're welcome

I know we've discussed before that the DL was born the day Cary Grant died, but the following are on Wiki sharing the same date, but not the same year. A serious question: who is the most notable person born on 29-11-86? We could - like -invite them to a DLcon.

1984 – Sitti Navarro, Philippine bossa nova artist

1985 – Shannon Brown, American basketball player

Roger Moore retired as James Bond in November 86... might mean something to someone. Doubt it though