Grim Reaper

Harper Lee

Harper Lee is very hurt by media criticism, says her lawyer:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/08/harper-lee-lawyer-statement-hurt-by-book-controversy#comments

Lots of discussion about her mental faculties follow...

The for us most disturbing sentence in that piece is this:

[T]he death of her sister Alice last year, at the age of 103.

Since Harper is a mere 88, her membership of our list may be premature.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/08/harper-lee-lawyer-statement-hurt-by-book-controversy#comments

regards,

Hein

But from what I can gather she relied on Alice to stop people taking advantage of her. Just being over 100 doesn't stop you being big sister.

regards,

Hein

But from what I can gather she relied on Alice to stop people taking advantage of her. Just being over 100 doesn't stop you being big sister.

So, which of us is suitably qualified to offer to take Harper's power of attorney and look after her?

Personally, I'd be tempted to suggest she promote the new book by becoming a late entrant in the reality TV spectacle that is The Jump.

• Like 1

regards,

Hein

So, which of us is suitably qualified to offer to take Harper's power of attorney and look after her?

Personally, I'd be tempted to suggest she promote the new book by becoming a late entrant in the reality TV spectacle that is The Jump.

Probably less potentially fatal than appearing on Loose Woman because if I had to encounter that banal collection of Harpies I would want to top myself.

• Like 1

Was the reasoning behind that: she's 88 so she must be potty?

Was the reasoning behind that: she's 88 so she must be potty?

Something about "Did she really want to publish that second book"? I don't quite understand it.

Turns 89 tomorrow.

Maybe she'll earn Party Pooper points for some lucky DDP teams...

Here's a quote from TKAM:

"There are just some kind of men who - who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results."

How true, have a good birthday. :party:

I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird.

I really like it, can't wait for the sequel.

I wonder, will Harper Lee have one of those cliche movie deaths, where an old person dies after their final wish is granted (after Go Set A Watchman is in bookstores, she dies peacefully in her sleep).

bad news when one of the death list 50 (or 42 now) ventures outdoors.

i prefer my candidates to be bed ridden

Recipe book and some children's novels should hit the market soon---with her explicit non-Alzheimer's approval of course.

SC

Recipe book and some children's novels should hit the market soon---with her explicit non-Alzheimer's approval of course.

SC

Four & Twenty Mockingbirds baked in a pie

I'd never read TKAM until about 10 years ago; never did it at school. It was a disappointment given its massive popularity and the number of people who assert that it's their favourite book evah. I mean, it was OK, but ...

My theory is that as a school set book, it compared favourably with other set texts. It's an easy read with young protagonists and a reasonably interesting plot. And as such, people remember it fondly because it was more accessible and less 'boring' than Shakespeare and the like. Many of these people will not have read a book since they left school.

Not saying this applies to everybody, of course, but it may account for some of its enormous following.

There's another one that people (mainly females) go on about, and that's 'I Capture The Castle'. Left me cold. Again, I may have enjoyed it more if I'd read it when I was a teenager.

TKAM was one of our school Eng Lit books, and beyond familiarity with the names of some of the characters I can't say I remember a thing about it.

I suspect that this may be because each pupil had to read aloud a chapter, rather than us reading it ourselves.

TKAM was one of our school Eng Lit books, and beyond familiarity with the names of some of the characters I can't say I remember a thing about it.

I suspect that this may be because each pupil had to read aloud a chapter, rather than us reading it ourselves.

Same here, it's been about 30 years since I last read it and never been compelled to read it again. Because it was one that we read in school, we had to give it back at the end of the year, so I never bothered to get my own copy.

Just finished reading Watchman, and damn, this woman's got talent!