Lady Die

The Death Penalty

Do you agree with the Death Penalty?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think we should be able to pull that off at least every year. 

I bet you do a lot of pulling off. :lol:

As someone once said to me and a good friend:

"Knock it on the head you two...or I'll have you both stay behind after class."

• Like 1

Sounds dreadful unless your teacher happened to look

like a playboy model. ;)

Well actual it was Anubis who said it to Entropy and me.

I suppose we could ask his bra size....

Bruno and me, just be funning.

He knows I do love him so.

Who couldn't love that whimsical wacko.

forced to live out the rest of his days in prison and suffer there with nothing more than plasma screen TVs, outings, pool tables, gyms and other such facilities.

The trick is to give them the tellys and then limit them to endless re-runs of 'Pets Win Prizes.'

forced to live out the rest of his days in prison and suffer there with nothing more than plasma screen TVs, outings, pool tables, gyms and other such facilities.

The trick is to give them the tellys and then limit them to endless re-runs of 'Pets Win Prizes.'

Or some Richard O'Sullivan sit-coms :lol:

I'll try again.

To those that don't support the death penalty...

Give me a good reason why someone like Sidney Cooke shouldn't be executed?

First, you tell me what it would achieve?

First, you tell me what it would achieve?

Fair enough. The opening 3 paragraphs of the article...

Sidney Cooke is regarded as a dangerous and predatory paedophile who even at the age of 72 remains a constant threat to youngsters.

He has been given two life sentences for a catalogue of crimes involving the systematic rape and abuse of two brothers over several years.

But these horrific admissions are just one of a series of depraved acts the persistent offender has committed during the past three decades.

Jason Swift

Cooke Refused To Undergo Treatment, And Has Admitted He May Offend Again

Cooke Under Investigation For Raping A Vulnerable Prisoner Whilst In Protective Custody

My reason for his execution would be to remove the threat to society. He's been a practicing paedophile twice as long as his victims have been alive. He's already shown that he is dangerous and likely to reoffend. The punishment itself would justify the torture he subjected those boys too especially Jason Swift. I was anti death penalty until I read what they actually did to him.

Ultimate punishment and reduces his likely to reoffend to zero. Why should the tax payer fund this predatory nonce, his protection, his benefits and when he reoffends, his stay at Her Majesty's Pleasure?

I don't think that capital punishment should be used for anything other than extreme cases. Like this one. It doesn't act as a deterrent but in this case it is justice.

So why shouldn't he be executed?

Edited by Harvester Of Souls

It might be that in such cases, the prisoner would actually prefer being executed to spending the rest of his life in solitary confinement. In which case, I say let him spend the rest of his life in solitary confinement - with nothing to read, nothing to write on or watch or listen to, absolutely nothing to do.

But I suppose such treatment would upset human rights lawyers. :blink:

Well, I'm not saying that there's much doubt as to his guilt or his threat to society but I don't see how executing him achieves anything more than keeping him locked up out of the way. It doesn't change history and on a personal level I don't think I'd want the responsibility for another person's death, regardless of who they were. Society rightly criminalises those who kill, I just don't agree with juducial killing being acceptable where murder isn't - the deliberate removal of somebody's life is murder is murder is murder in my book. Does execution bring society down to the level of a murderer? What about those people who aren't entirely responsible for their own actions (mentally ill, schizophrenics etc)?

If somebody was to suggest putting all of the convicted murderers etc on an island somewhere and leaving them to fend for themselves then I'd fewer qualms, provided the surrounding ocean was suitably shark infested and the island was several thousand miles away from the nearest mainland..........

Or some Richard O'Sullivan sit-coms :P

HAHAHA nice one teddy ..I like that :ghost::blink::D

Well, I'm not saying that there's much doubt as to his guilt or his threat to society but I don't see how executing him achieves anything more than keeping him locked up out of the way. It doesn't change history and on a personal level I don't think I'd want the responsibility for another person's death, regardless of who they were. Society rightly criminalises those who kill, I just don't agree with juducial killing being acceptable where murder isn't - the deliberate removal of somebody's life is murder is murder is murder in my book. Does execution bring society down to the level of a murderer? What about those people who aren't entirely responsible for their own actions (mentally ill, schizophrenics etc)?

If somebody was to suggest putting all of the convicted murderers etc on an island somewhere and leaving them to fend for themselves then I'd fewer qualms, provided the surrounding ocean was suitably shark infested and the island was several thousand miles away from the nearest mainland..........

How about a system where a life sentence means life.

The option should then be given to the prisoner of suicide, via a cyanide capsule say. This option should remain open for all lifers', so at any point in their sentence they can opt for death.

That way the State's hands are clean, the prisoner opted to kill themselves, the State just provided the means.

Well, I'm not saying that there's much doubt as to his guilt or his threat to society but I don't see how executing him achieves anything more than keeping him locked up out of the way.

Executing him achieves nothing more than stopping him breathing. Keeping him locked up means I have to pay more taxes to feed him. Clothe him. Provide him a standard of living that alot of law abiding people in this country don't have. I have to pay to keep him entertained. I have to pay to keep him segregated from others.

After his release I've had to pay to keep him in protective custody. I've had to pay to have him relocated to stop angry citizens killing and torturing him.

Executing him would not only prevent him reoffending it would save me a few quid and I'm happy with that.

It doesn't change history and on a personal level I don't think I'd want the responsibility for another person's death, regardless of who they were.

No problem at all. I'd quite happily open the trap door. Kick the chair away. Plop the tablet into the water. Push the lever that operates the syringe.

In this case I would sleep like a baby. Infact better than I would if I knew he had the possibility of parole.

Society rightly criminalises those who kill, I just don't agree with juducial killing being acceptable where murder isn't - the deliberate removal of somebody's life is murder is murder is murder in my book.

Society has just slaughtered 10's of thousands of people in another country so they don't have to pay too much at the petrol pumps.

I don't advocate the death penalty for anything other than exceptional cases. Sidney Cooke being one.

There are people rotting in our prison systems and secure hospitals that have commited heinous crimes. Crimes that make what Sidney Cooke has done look trivial. Even monsters like Brady are lightweights in comparison. Why should we fund their care and their Sky TV? They are beyond rehabilitation. They can never be released into society. What do we gain from keeping them alive?

Does execution bring society down to the level of a murderer? What about those people who aren't entirely responsible for their own actions (mentally ill, schizophrenics etc)?

See above. Society is at the level of these people as we're happy to allow them to mingle among us.

I think we used to call that Australia. :blink:

The option should then be given to the prisoner of suicide, via a cyanide capsule say. This option should remain open for all 'lifers', so at any point in their sentence they can opt for death.

That way the States hands are clean, the prisoner opted to kill themselves, the State just provided the means.

Why fund them TF? The ones that are beyond help? The ones that are guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt? Those that will do it again if the opportunity arises?

Why even subject those that can be rehabilitated to the wrath of those that can't?

Why even offer them the dignity of a choice?

A reasonable point there in a good majority of cases but there should

allways be something reconsidered. If a man didn't murder one of

his fellow Co - Workers then he shouldn't get 35 years. He should

not receive any time, but when the case is reviewed carefully he

only gets 5 years.

I'm more focused on other laws being possibly reviewed.

For example - In Hastings it is illegal for a man and a women to

fall asleep naked in a bed together. Not like anyone would actually know!

A very strange and silly law it is probobly one if you were caught would

be let go.

Alot like getting seen riding a bicycle without a helmet..

I'm in favour, with certain caveats. One would be Multiple murderers (a single murder can sometimes be driven by circumstance - it doesn't make it right, but it does mean it might not be repeated). I'm sure if I thought about it I would come up with loads of exceptions, but for now my vote is Yes.

DWB :blink:

I'll try again.

There is no reason whatsover why he should not hang, certain people are evil beyond belief and if they are put in prison sooner or later some buffon thinks they have served long enough and should be released, and if he his released he will certainly kill again.

Because chopping his balls off would work instead.

I'm in favour of the death penalty for surviving DLters still breathing on the 31st of December in any given year.

I voted no, because I don't.

I bet if they started pumping the Crazy Frog song into prisons 24/7, that would be enough to put anyone off commiting further crimes.

Leading charities report that sex offenders are incurable. If they can not be rehabilitated should they not be put down?

I'll go out on a limb and say no. Imprisoned yes, but I can see absolutely no reason why sex offenders should be given worse treatment than, say, murderers. That is if you are starting from a position of being against the death penalty.

Also when you say incurable is that incurable in the sense of not being able to stop commiting sex offences on others or incurable in the sense of not being able to stop thinking about it?" Sex Offender" is a very broad term.

Now that I come to read your post again maybe you are right, perhaps they should "not be put down".

I'll try again.

Had never heard of him until I read that link. Certainly there is something deeply, seriously wrong with him getting out after 6 years. Can hardly believe it in fact.

Apparently (Times yesterday) the hangman in Singapore has been dismissed for speaking to an Australian newpaper, or something like that.

They're finding it hard to get a replacement who can match his record - he hanged 18 in one day once, in lots of three at a time.

They're looking abroad for candidates now, so it might be a career opportunity for some on this list.

Does anyone have an axe I could borrow?

• Like 1