Sign in to follow this  
Magere Hein

Prince Friso Of The Netherlands

He was never really on my radar since I felt that if he's lasted this long in a coma, he'd last for years yet. It seems like most comatose folk either die within a week or last for years.

Think the only reason I kept him off this year was the reports that he had regained "minimal consciousness" in late 2012. Thinking of the kind of top notch health care royals get, too, I thought he'd be another Sonny von Bülow.

Will the funeral be a quiet affair or will there be lots of photographs of ageing European royalty to get our 2014 teams into line?

• Like 1

Will the funeral be a quiet affair or will there be lots of photographs of ageing European royalty to get our 2014 teams into line?

I suppose the right answer is: yes.

The Dutch government hasn't announced funeral plans yet. He'll probably be buried in Delft next week. I don't expect it to be a repeat of Queen Juliana's funeral, but I think there'll be enough furrin royalty to gawk at.

regards,

Hein

The Dutch government hasn't announced funeral plans yet. He'll probably be buried in Delft next week. I don't expect it to be a repeat of Queen Juliana's funeral, but I think there'll be enough furrin royalty to gawk at.

Not quite right, I learned this morning. Prince Friso will be buried Friday, in a private ceremony in Lage Vuursche.

ETA: I read in the paper that King Harald of Norway will attend. At 76 he's apparently fit enough for travel.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Added bit about King Harald

In other bad news for Dutch royalists: Prince Bernhard (a 42 y/o first cousin of our freshly minted king) is diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. No further details have been released, so don't trust him to cark it anytime soon. He's a strong candidate for MoX2014, mind.

regards,

Hein

Anyway, it took Friso a year and half to buy the farm.

I'd guess that it was a matter of the time taken for the doctors to conclude, and the family to accept, that there was no hope of recovery.

That's pretty much what I think. Strangely, there's been very little public discussion on this. I appreciate his relatives' right to privacy in what is primarily a private matter, but I hope to learn more details before the archives become availabe in 50 years or so.

regards,

Hein

Another example of comatose royalty is Kardam, Prince of Turnovo, heir apparent to the Bulgarian throne, who has been in a persistent vegetative state since 2010.

Another example of comatose royalty is Kardam, Prince of Turnovo, heir apparent to the Bulgarian throne, who has been in a persistent vegetative state since 2010.

The Prince is dead, according to his father's website. Awaiting UK obits for DDP. http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2015040724463/prince-kardam-bulgaria-dies-accident/

The Prince is dead, according to his father's website. Awaiting UK obits for DDP. http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2015040724463/prince-kardam-bulgaria-dies-accident/
The Not-So-Fresh Prince of Turnovo.

SC

The Not-So-Fresh Prince of Turnovo.

SC

Kardam, killed by a damn car.

• Like 4