TAFKAG

President al-Assad of Syria

It seems quite likely that he'll be the next of the Arab spring (autumn?) topplers, but will he suffer the same fate as Saddam and Gaddafi or that of Ben Ali? Saleh's in a similar position, but could step down before he's brought down. I suppose Mubarak's somewhere in the middle for now.

• Like 1

Gaddafi's fate is definitely making me consider putting fellow Arabian dictators Bashar al-Assad, Ali Abdullah Saleh, and maybe even Abdelaziz Bouteflika on next year's DDP.

Al-Assad in particular is begging for a bullet to the head and Saleh already has had an attempt on his life.

Only thing I'm worried about is the possibility bastards being taking alive and executed, robbing me of points.

As time goes on, I grow more and more convinced that 2012 really will lead to the end of the world.

This is just an attempt to pick a fight with Iran.

Only a species as fucked up and self-centered as humanity would equate it's own destruction with the end of the world. The planet will survive us, even if we nuke ourselves into oblivion. But we warned, Cumbrians have been messing with nuclear power longer than any other corner of the planet. I'm fairly convinced my cousin and a few of his mates, who've been at Sellafield since anyone can remember, would survive the so-called apolcalypse and if we're reliant on those head-bangers to re-populate the planet you could safely assume that movies like The Road have under-estimated the bestial nature of the survivors.

• Like 1

Only a species as fucked up and self-centered as humanity would equate it's own destruction with the end of the world. The planet will survive us, even if we nuke ourselves into oblivion. But we warned, Cumbrians have been messing with nuclear power longer than any other corner of the planet. I'm fairly convinced my cousin and a few of his mates, who've been at Sellafield since anyone can remember, would survive the so-called apolcalypse and if we're reliant on those head-bangers to re-populate the planet you could safely assume that movies like The Road have under-estimated the bestial nature of the survivors.

From which we learn that what God has united, human beings must not divide.

regards,

Hein

Really upset at the BBC news reports coming out of Syria tonight. How can we let ordinary people from this area just be be murdered like this? Shooting orders going out to kill anything that moves even down to 12 year old boys. Just unreal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Really upset at the BBC news reports coming out of Syria tonight. How can we let ordinary people from this area just be be murdered like this? Shooting orders going out to kill anything that moves even down to 12 year old boys. Just unreal.

There's not much we can do. With these countries you seem to remove one set of murderers to let another set in.

• Like 1

There's not much we can do. With these countries you seem to remove one set of murderers to let another set in.

If Syria had oil, then something would be done...

• Like 1

If Syria had oil, then something would be done...

If they had oil we'd be doing even less. Better the evil you know...

• Like 1

Killing anything that moves .. sigh. He's a president.

Right in front of him someone should fuck his .. god said no to this post, Mr.Scream.

If he sticks around, sooner or later chances are he'll end up like Gadaffi, or perhaps he and the missus will suffer the same fate as Mr & Mrs Ceausescu. Couldn't happen to a nicer couple

I have a feeling he won't stay and die in syria like gaddafi. If he is killed it will be with an attack similar to the one that killed half his inner circle. he will probably flee to Iran or russia when the net starts to tighten in.

I have a feeling he won't stay and die in syria like gaddafi. If he is killed it will be with an attack similar to the one that killed half his inner circle. he will probably flee to Iran or russia when the net starts to tighten in.

If he has any sense

Here's a run down from Wikipedia on who's died and who might be on the verge of dying. Syrian State TV just confirmed a few minutes ago that the Intelligence Chief had carked it; I believe the interior minister is not far behind.

Here's a run down from Wikipedia on who's died and who might be on the verge of dying. Syrian State just confirmed a few minutes ago that the Intelligence Chief had carked it; I believe the interior minister is not far behind.

Now that's what you call a cabinet shake-up :)

Speculation on the Today programme this morning that the whole thing was a failed coup attempt, which might explain the tonnage of death given that those loyal would tend to dispense summary justice and leave the coupsters silent. Either way; I don't think Assad is as stupid as Gadaffi and reckon he'll get the hell out of there in time to save his own skin. Next stop (almost certainly) Russia.

Guest Guest

Just heard on the BBC news that the intelligence chief died today from his wounds

Farouk Al-Sharaa, the Vice President of Syria, has been conspicious by his absence in recent days/weeks. The Assad loyalist, who has been foreign minister to both President Assad's has either fled to Jordan, or now possibly has been killed/died in an accident - http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/159177

Farouk Al-Sharaa, the Vice President of Syria, has been conspicious by his absence in recent days/weeks. The Assad loyalist, who has been foreign minister to both President Assad's has either fled to Jordan, or now possibly has been killed/died in an accident - http://www.israelnat...ews.aspx/159177

I think its a good possibility he defected and was killed . If he had safely he would be all over the news condemning the assad government , he could of also been bombed and killed on the way out trying to escape .

See also "The Case for a Non-Interventionist Foreign Policy" by Jean Bricmont: http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/02/20/the-case-for-a-non-interventionist-foreign-policy/

• Like 1