maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

Aye, news were all over him tonight

Last Word this Friday, then?

Brazialian communist author Ferreira Gullar, who was elected immortal by the Brazilian Academy some years ago, has died aged 86.

http://g1.globo.com/pop-arte/noticia/ferreira-gullar-morre-aos-86-anos-no-rio.ghtml

He was not so immortal...

• Like 1

Joe Dever D&D player and author of Lone Wolf series dead at 60.

My daughter went to Dragonmeet this weekend and her con programme proudly declared Joe as VIP guest. I bet he wasn't I told her.

John Newhouse, a widely admired journalist and author who turned often-impenetrable technical subjects such as nuclear arms negotiations and Cold War politics into dramatic and absorbing narratives, died Dec. 10 at his home in Washington. He was 87.

Author of ‘War and Peace in the Nuclear Age.'

SC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/national/john-newhouse-author-of-war-and-peace-in-the-nuclear-age-dies-at-87/2016/12/10/3b4113ca-beef-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.html

ER Braithwaite, most famous for To Sir, With Love, dead at 104. Two get their DDP points, probably more would have if they'd realised he was still alive.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people knew he was still alive, but there was a great deal of uncertainty about his age. 1912, 1920 and 1922 all given as a date of birth.

The news report says he was 104 but he may have been 96 or 94... often you get later news reports coming out with different ages.

I imagine he'll get numerous QOs and they might be more reliable. (hopefully - never rely on the British press to fact check or get anything right).

• Like 1

I think a lot of people knew he was still alive, but there was a great deal of uncertainty about his age. 1912, 1920 and 1922 all given as a date of birth.

The news report says he was 104 but he may have been 96 or 94... often you get later news reports coming out with different ages.

I imagine he'll get numerous QOs and they might be more reliable. (hopefully - never rely on the British press to fact check or get anything right).

Hmm... the date of birth has to be known for the DDP. What if Zsa Zsa Gabor's obits mention her various possible birth dates?

Hmm... the date of birth has to be known for the DDP. What if Zsa Zsa Gabor's obits mention her various possible birth dates?

Zsa Zsa was born in 1917 as was confirmed by school photos realeased some years back.

American author and "gender theorist" Kate Bornstein has announced she has been diagnosed with early stage lung cancer. She is already suffering from a mild form of leukemia and her blog post alludes to other health problems.

I quite like Bornstein's choice of titles for a couple of her books huh.png :

Nearly Roadkill: An Infobahn Erotic Adventure.

Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws

Kate's cancer is back, according to her blog.

Kate Bornstein tweets she is cancer free. https://twitter.com/katebornstein/status/809136708512059392

Ah, wonderful. I was just bemoaning to a Guardian pal about their lack of an obit for her the other week. This must have been in the works already though.

Good for her! (and my Generation Game team) Thank you, Willz. I was surprised a female author writing about the Third Reich didn't receive a Guardian obit.

Good for her! (and my Generation Game team) Thank you, Willz. I was surprised a female author writing about anything at all didn't receive a Guardian obit.

FTFY

• Like 2

William Peter Blatty, best known for The Exorcist, died yesterday, five days after his 89th birthday.

William Peter Blatty, best known for The Exorcist, died yesterday, five days after his 89th birthday.

:(

:(

Whatever could have possessed him?

• Like 4

Damn. Now I'm just waiting for that big music name, cause this is starting to become like 2016 now...

Damn. Now I'm just waiting for that big music name, cause this is starting to become like 2016 now...

Well, don't exaggerate.

Well that's bollocks. All the major death this year have been relatively obscure or reasonably old (over 70). I.e normal.

Well that's bollocks. All the major death this year have been relatively obscure or reasonably old (over 70). I.e normal.

I'd like to thank Time for this one. In my DP you need two writers and I couldn't come up with one after Huston Smith died at the last seconds of 2016, so I just took a flyer on Blatty. Yay me, and a thumbs up to Time.

SC

I'd like to thank Time for this one. In my DP you need two writers and I couldn't come up with one after Huston Smith died at the last seconds of 2016, so I just took a flyer on Blatty. Yay me, and a thumbs up to Time.

SC

I didn't kill him y'know!

SC

I didn't kill him y'know!

That would be cheating, if you did