Tuber Mirum

The Hartlepool Deadlypool

About Rose Marie, yes to RadGuy and DeathImpends. The last picture I saw of her was not looking good. She's old and there's been no real news about her for 2 years. Also she was on Hollywood Squares and I feel somewhat confident in those old and silent picks since I've had success with Jin Youzhi in this competition last year. I was looking for some person to die roughly February/March with some bonus potential. So, no inside information, just another gamble.

Well, Sir Creep gets a unique hit with the death of Andrew Smith. For now I'll take the Sports Illustrated item as a qualified obit. If this is over turned by NAP then the following will all be revised.

Now then, the guy played US basketball and the -3 point bonus factors badly for him. 45 points basic sounds nice, but (45/5) 9 points times the 2 points for unique would be an extra 18. But bonus point multiply and 18 points times -3 points equals -54 "bonus" points. So that's nine points off your total this time. Very hard luck.

4th Leader Board

1st - 80.2 points - gcreptile

2nd - 72.3 points - Captain Chorizo

3rd - 72.1 points - Death Impends

4th - 71 points - Sir Creep

5th - 28 points - Toast

6th - 0.5 points - Switch

=last, everyone else.

• Like 3

Wow... I knew that was the logical result of the rules as stated, but I thought, that couldn't possibly be right. I thought it would just reduce the bonus, not turn it around...

Wicked thought of the day: Underage picks also get a negative bonus, so an underage basketball/baseball player multiplies a negative number with a negative number, lol... So if there's someone like that, he/she would be golden.

• Like 2

laughing-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif

Wow... I knew that was the logical result of the rules as stated, but I thought, that couldn't possibly be right. I thought it would just reduce the bonus, not turn it around...

Wicked thought of the day: Underage picks also get a negative bonus, so an underage basketball/baseball player multiplies a negative number with a negative number, lol... So if there's someone like that, he/she would be golden.

Like, as has been noted. HPDP has no outright ban on picking underage team members.

• Like 1

Why is a 25 year old person picked "Underage"?

He isn't.

U.S. Basketball players -3??

*Shrugs shoulders*

It's a fair cop.

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2315&p=245683

I did drop you a gentle hint, and Death Impends was even more explicit (post 973), but clearly you didn't peruse the scoring rules with enough attention.

• Like 2

Sorry, you have the wrong end of the stick. The minus points build from Andrew Smith being a US basketball player. (Minus points apply). His age was 25. That's fine. Our rules about underage is 17 and lower = underage, 18 and over are fine. If Andrew Smith was 17 then it would have been reprehensible to have picked him, and negative points would apply. Now for the maths. If you multiply two negative numbers then you get a positive number.

Your basketball player, was too old to benefit your score.

However, If you can prove he played baseball at any professional level then you will get a stack-full of points.

He isn't.

U.S. Basketball players -3??

*Shrugs shoulders*

It's a fair cop.http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2315&p=245683

I did drop you a gentle hint, and Death Impends was even more explicit (post 973), but clearly you didn't peruse the scoring rules with enough attention.

Only rules I saw were chasing down page 1 or so of this thread. Alas. I don't know nor understand the basketball rule but I guess we live and learn.

That's why we created the DL Rules thread so they (or links) could be found in one place. At least that was the intention. Alas.

So please shoot me a link so I can see the rules for next time. I didn't expect an anti-basketball rule :-/

SC

It's not the rules exactly, it's the scoring system - which is, shall we say, unconventional.

It's all laid out somewhere in this thread, I'll have a looksee where it is.

6 teams land points from the death of Rene Angelil. They all knew he was ill... Maybe now he is just an angel?.

Maryport, The Unknown Man, Uschi and Switch get 45 points. Book gets 40 and The Dead Cow gets 35. Multi pick micro bonus points add in too, for 5 teams.

5th Leader Board

2nd - 72.3 points - Captain Chorizo

3rd - 72.1 points - Death Impends

4th - 71.0 points - Sir Creep

5th - 45.6 points - Switch

6th - 45.5 points - Maryport

7th - 45.4 points - The Unknown Man

8th - 45.2 points - Uschi

9th - 40.0 points - Book

10th - 35.3 points - The Dead Cow.

11th - 28.0 points - Toast

= last - 13 teams

oh and here is the list of teams in "entered order" to show who gets what in those micro point hand out.

YoungWillz

Shaun of the Dead

Not Sir Peter Maxwell Davies

Maryport

The Unknown Man

msc

Death Impends

The Dead Cow

DDT

Deathray

Uschi

Switch

LFN

CaptainChorizo

Sir Creep

Book

gcreptile

Hein

Tick Tock

MorbidKid

Toast

Time

Dr. Zorders

STAB in the DARK

Here are my copy/paste notes on the intricacies of the HPDP - subject to any corrections by Rotten Ali. Hope it helps.

Points are scored according to the following highly complex scoring system:

Competitors are awarded points according to the order in which their candidates die.
The starting positions are as follows:

• Candidate 1: 50 points

• Candidate 2: 45 points

• Candidate 3: 40 points

• Candidate 4: 35 points

• Candidate 5: 30 points

• Candidate 6: 25 points

• Candidate 7: 20 points

• Candidate 8: 15 points

• Candidate 9: 10 points

• Candidate 10: 5 points

When the first candidate dies, points will be awarded as above, and the remaining potential scores will slide up or down one position. If candidate 1 dies first, the team gets 50 points and the points below all increase by 5, so candidate 2 will get 50 points if he or she is the next to go.
If a celebrity departs further down the list before the ones above are gone, the scores above are reduced by 5, causing the highest remaining score on the list to disappear. Those below will increase by 5 as before.
This will often cause two celebrities to have the same number of points next to their names, but the order in which they die will still influence subsequent scores.
The Bonus System:

Candidate not picked by any other competitor +2
Candidate under 18 years old -2
25th or less in line to the throne of Belgium, The Netherlands, Sweden or Denmark +2
Been on Celebrity Squares (or Hollywood Squares)+3
Death of candidate in spite of extremely high improbability or unlikeliness of same. +5
US Baseball or Basketball player -3
Former or present UK Prime Minister +3
Drummer +2
Incumbent or recent US president +3
Guilty (in Notapotato's opinion) of crimes against humanity +3
Both of the above +6
Has played in a pantomime+2
Has performed Morris dancing +3
Found dead in a Swimming Pool +3
Died in a farming or gardening accident +2
Death worthy of a Darwin Award +2
Murder, Suicide, Lightning +2
Dies on Notapotato's birthday (16th of May) +2
Death by Fire +2
Death by Water +2
Death by Bongo +6

The bonus is calculated according to the following simple formula:
bonus x (score gained from death divided by 5)

Multiple bonuses multiply so a bonus of 3 and a bonus of 2 give together a bonus of 6. This makes negative bonuses extremely unattractive. This is also the reason why some bonuses have been increased this year, because 2*2 is the same as 2+2.

So a bonus of 2 on a score of 40 gives you 2*(40/5)=16

Additionally there will be a bonus of 50 points for coming in in 13th place in the Hartlepool Deadlypool. Unless there are only 13 or fewer entries. then there won't be.
Nothing could be simpler.
Oh yes, and there's an extra bonus of unspecified size payable on the first hit of the team which has the most interesting and unusual selection of celebrities.

1. Dead means dead. No longer living:

A bit like William Holden who having just been fished out of Gloria Swanson's swimming pool, died drunk and impoverished a mere 31 years later.
Eligible for a death certificate. (A Munchkin is optional but may get a bonus)

2. For the purpose of the game a "celebrity" is someone well-enough known to get their death mentioned in the UK national press or on the BBC news website. Or anywhere else Notapotato's heavily-prejudiced mind considers a reliable, respectable source of international news. In the event of disagreement as to the celebrity of any individual or the validity of an obituary, Notapotato's word is final.

3. Only human beings may be submitted as candidates. Animals may take part in the deathpool, but may be ridiculed for doing so, and may not get any points. Unless they are cats with a long history of doing deathpools. Team names which sound like an animal such as "Donkey from Hell" or "Dead as a Parrot" are allowed, I suppose, but may be ridiculed.

3a. Strictly only one team per participant. The submission of teams in the name of domestic animals in an attempt to circumvent this rule is doomed to failure. And ridicule.

4. If a participant dies during the competition, unlike in some deadpools he doesn't win the competition automatically. He may, however get awarded a few extra points by way of consolation. And next year a bonus will be named after you, perhaps. If you do die during the course of the year, do drop us a line and let us know where you went wrong so others can avoid making the same mistake.

4a. For legal reasons we are unable to actively encourage participants to murder or otherwise accelerate the deaths of their chosen celebrities. There is however no penalty in the Hartlepool Deadlypool for doing so. Your Procurator Fiscal or local alternative may see this differently though, so we reccommend asking beforehand.

5. Anyone selecting tender-aged sufferers of terminal diseases or anyone under sentence of death or highly likely to be sentenced to death at the start of the year will be summarily ridiculed and very likely penalised in an arbitrary and unpleasant way should their candidates actually die or be killed.

5a. And you won't be getting the extra bonus points for original and unusual picks if you don't come up with something a bit more original or unusual.

Now I know this I might play next year.

Notapotato's birthday is the same as my wedding anniversary.

If there is a next year...

You can still enter this year. That is, if you want to take the nine name challenge.

p.s.

I was expecting someone to have picked Dan Haggerty but it looks like we all overlooked him.

• Like 1

Well spotted YoungWillz, 0.1point for you. 25 basic points to Toast for having Dale Griffin on her team. Unique hit (5x2) and drummer bonus (x2) points take it to 45 points and 2nd place on the leader board.

6th Leader Board

2nd - 73.0 points - Toast

3rd - 72.3 points - Captain Chorizo

4th - 72.1 points - Death Impends

5th - 71.0 points - Sir Creep

6th - 45.6 points - Switch

7th - 45.5 points - Maryport

8th - 45.4 points - The Unknown Man

9th - 45.2 points - Uschi

10th - 40.0 points - Book

11th - 35.3 points - The Dead Cow.

12th - 0.1 points - YoungWillz

= last - 12 teams

Well spotted YoungWillz, 0.1point for you. 25 basic points to Toast for having Dale Griffin on her team. Unique hit (5x2) and drummer bonus (x2) points take it to 45 points and 2nd place on the leader board.

6th Leader Board

= last - 12 teams

Respect for such a good early performance - it's a marathon, mind!

6th Leader Board

= last - 12 teams

Respect for such a good early performance - it's a marathon, mind!

Indeed, and one in which the unexpected must always be expected :lol:

Yes you did. Unique points hit for LFN's choice of Abe Vigoda. Plus Hollywood Squares bonus too.

Go Fish...

44 points in total.

7th Leader Board

10th - 44 points - LFN

11th - 40.0 points - Book

12th - 35.3 points - The Dead Cow

13th - 0.1 points - YoungWillz

= last - 11 teams

• Like 1

Lead change. Death Impends is the first into three figures this year, and is now lording it. 40 basic points and a single micro point for Eric Lubbock. Dead Cow also ventured on him and picks up 35 points.

8th Leader Board

1st - 112.2 points - Death Impends

2nd - 80.2 points - gcreptile

3rd - 73.0 points - Toast

4th - 72.3 points - Captain Chorizo

6th - 70.3 points - Dead Cow

7th - 45.6 points - Switch

8th - 45.5 points - Maryport

9th - 45.4 points - The Unknown Man

10th - 45.2 points - Uschi

11th - 44 points - LFN