Paul Bearer

Not Seen Any Good Films/movies

As we have a thread for 'seen any good movies' Thought I'd start up a thread about 'good' movies you've never seen, or wished you had the time or made the effort to go and see.

I have never seen Bambi. I've been told it's a good movie (in a cartoonish sort of way, I suppose). No doubt more alleged good movies to follow.

I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan or Atonement, which are - according to most - ''brilliant''.

I haven't seen The Godfather, nor Godfather II, nor Godfather III.

In an effort to remedy this situation, I bought the trilogy on DVD about 6-7 years ago, and still haven't watched them.

Similar for Once Upon a Time in the West.

(I haven't seen any of the previously mentioned films either but haven't got those on DVD).

I have seen what to me seems like a tremendous amount of films with Ben Stiller in them, which leads me to the conclusion that Ben Stiller is unfortunately in every film and thus it is not worth watching every film. For this reason I have never seen Star Wars, The Godfather, Fightclub, Goodfellas, The Matrix (though I do have the DVD), Avatar, Batman films, Titanic. I could go on. I have however seen Bambi, can't remember the plot, don't they all die?

I make a point of watching British films, films that make you cry, films that make you laugh and Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, in case you were worried I was one of those hippy nazis that don't let their children watch TV.

There must be thousands of films I haven´t seen:

• Most films made in Hollywood.
  • Most films made in Europe.
  • Almost all films made in India, China, Japan and other furrin´speaking nations.
  • Some films I deliberately didn't watch. Titanic was such a one. The most recent film I didn't want to watch was Geert Wilders' My Struggle Fitna.

regards,

Hein

[*] Some films I deliberately didn't watch. Titanic was such a one.

That was a very good decision.

I've never seen any of the Matrix films either, even though they are all on ITV 2, 3 or 4 every so often.

I've never seen

. Apparently now available on DVD. From the bits I've seen, looks like a gift that would keep giving. :huh:

I'll cop for a complete duck where viewing the Matrix films is concerned. Also never seen Gone With the Wind, Bridge on the River Kwai or I'm Alright Jack. In fact, I've avoided loads of classics, and fell asleep - extremely hungover - the only time I tried to watch Apolcalypse Now.

I've never seen
. Apparently now available on DVD. From the bits I've seen, looks like a gift that would keep giving. :huh:

Er that just like any Indian party I've ever been too, bar the absence of Coca-Cola bottles on each table and old Mercedes in the car park...

I've never seen any of The Matrix films, and I am even less inclined to do so because there is this fucking annoying bitch at work with make up like Aunt Sally who wanders round like she owns the place in a long leather coat and boots, I think she thinks she is Keanu Reeves, but sadly she looks more like Vic Reeves. I swear by almighty God if she walks in my office one more time saying 'hello sweetheart' in that patronising drivelly tone she uses I will smack her in her over-made-up chops.

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars films.

I've seen the first Matrix film, it was ok, got dragged to see Star Wars as a 10 year old because my brothers wanted to see it, hated it and have refused point blank to ever watch it again or any of it's successors. I saw Gone With the Wind the first time it was shown on TV back in my early teens, it was split over 2 nights and I never knew it didn't have a happy ending. I can remember it finishing and me choking out a goodnight to my parents and rushing off to bed to have a good cry, oh the joys of teenage hormones. I've seen The Big Lebowski and I did not enjoy it - sacrilege to some I fear, similarly I didn't like Bladerunner or Apocalypse Now.

I have seen half of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, there was a teachers strike at school one day and we got taken to the film theatre where they ran it to keep us quiet, but the bell went at 4 p.m. and I never got to see the end.

There are loads of films I haven't seen, including all of the Godfather films, Psycho and, to my shame, Spinal Tap and Young Frankenstein (I own both of these DVD's so there really is no excuse). I have seen Bambi though, the stag gets shot, that's all I remember about it.

Mostly I haven't seen recent films as my local cinema is 22 miles away and the last bus back from it is at 8 p.m., so I rely on friends passing me occasional copies of films or sometimes visiting a website I recently found that has many films (and TV series) uploaded onto it, won't give you the URL as I'm sure that's not allowed on DL.

I have had the misfortune to see all 3 of the Twilight films, I will admit to having read the books and they were ok, but the films are atrocious, about 6 hours of my life I won't get back.

If I have a film recommended and fancy it I'll try to get to watch it one way or another, except for The Seven Samurai. I'm not sure why I've never watched this the whole way through. I've never seen Bambi either but I bet I've seen most of it in bits. Another Disney film, The Incredible Journey, was one I wanted to watch as a kid but never did and couldn't be bothered now. I'd like to see Mr Hulot's Holiday again as it was once shown at school as a Christmas film and everybody messed about which pissed off the art teacher who picked it. Not sure I could handle the whole of Battleship Potemkin but I'd like to see it for the massacre on the steps with the baby's pram that has been copied in films such as The Untouchables. Unfortunately they rarely run these films on telly that seems obsessed with running the same films over and over and over again.

3D leaves me cold. I can't see it catching on (which means it will be a soar away success). There are a load of action films I haven't seen and can't be bothered seeing - anything with Steven Seagal - but those aren't good films. The best film I saw that I'd never heard about before seeing it and had missed it in the cinema was Short Cuts. Falling Down was one of those too. Of the the more recent misses, I'm looking forward to seeing Toy Story 3.

Movies? I've heard Americans use this word.

I am one of the few people in the world who has never seen Jurrasic Park. I assume its good because so many people have seen it

Never seen Casablanca, The Great Escape, The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins. Of those the only one I'd be interested in is Casablanca.

• Like 1

Amongst many films I haven't seen (including Inception - I bought the DVD to watch at Christmas FFS) never seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show or the Blues Brothers.

I've never seen One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

It might be quicker if I list the films I have seen.

You've heard correctly.

You should also be aware that British people use it as well. Indeed as I am sure you're aware, Sky's channels showing such features were known as "Sky Movies".

Don't really know why you made that point, some kind of British English protector are you?

You've heard correctly.

You should also be aware that British people use it as well. Indeed as I am sure you're aware, Sky's channels showing such features were known as "Sky Movies".

Don't really know why you made that point, some kind of British English protector are you?

British people may well use this word, even in this context, but the fact remains, that, this side of the pond, films is films.

You've heard correctly.

I don't recall asking for your opinion but I do recall referring to your "dumb arse" comment in the joke thread and that is certainly an Americanism I wouldn't use every day. Yes I think it's right to take a stand against too many Americanisms. For example, I don't like to hear of Father Christmas being referred to as Santa. Let me direct you to this helpful list. Now I'm wondering, should it be dumb arse or dumb ass? Which do you prefer?

Thread title altered slightly

May I suggest ...Films/Movies - or at least ...Movies/Films

Back on-topic, I've looked at the list of Best Picture Oscar winners; the last one I actually saw at the cinema was Platoon (1987). Of the winners since then, I've seen 3 on TV, missing such classics as Schindler's List, Braveheart, Titanic and Gladiator.

Of Best Picture winners prior to Platoon, I've not seen (amongst others) Gone With the Wind, Kramer vs Kramer, Gandhi and Out of Africa (some of these I'm not likely to see as I do have a natural aversion to anything featuring Meryl Streep).