Godot

What Are You Giving Up For Lent?

And his Cup team for Round 2, or Grim will never let him hear the end of it!

Being a horrid atheist, I give up nothing. I didn't even know it was Lent till I saw posts about pancake day on here yesterday.

Being a DLr, I always misread it as 'Pancreatic Day'.

Far more appropriate.

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, msc said:

And his Cup team for Round 2, or Grim will never let him hear the end of it!

Hmmm - if we both make round 2 (be wrong to count chickens etc) it's not going to be much fun smashing Joey's face in if he's not even posting :(.

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, while I won’t completely stop posting, I definitely feel like that I need to limit my own posting for lent (and in general). I know for me this will be a very difficult task, however, as every time I post something it gives me a brief relief to my anxiety...

Joey (I know nothing whatsoever about your health so I apologise for saying something that might be completely not appropriate or relevant) - one of my daughter's suffered a lot from anxiety - she got it under control by two things - she massively reduced her sugar intake (including hidden sugar in foodstuffs like bread for example) and also had some counselling (which you may not be able to get access too). She is now working on conquering more normal phobias like flying, crowded places by undergoing some hypnotherapy but that is the dream topping stuff. Anyhow you have my sympathy.

26 minutes ago, msc said:

Being a horrid atheist, I give up nothing. I didn't even know it was Lent till I saw posts about pancake day on here yesterday.

I was in Poland last week. The Thursday before our Pancake Tuesday is their Fat Thursday where everybody eats loads of doughnuts - I gorged myself.

Then on Pancake Day they all eat fish, Fish Tuesday doesn't sound so good, pleased I wasn't there this week!

No passeran GUN.

Its Zoey. Fuck all wrong with him bar arthitus picking up his pension.

6 minutes ago, charon said:

No passeran GUN.

Its Zoey. Fuck all wrong with him bar arthitus picking up his pension.

Well it cost me nothing to write what I did either way.

Just feeling the love today like you I guess :wub:

Fuck up/off cunto.

• Haha 1

Irrelevant post.

13 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:
20 minutes ago, Toast said:

What do people mean by "anxiety"?   Wherever I go there seem to be people claiming to suffer from "anxiety".  Never used to hear of this.

Might be an Americanized term, but it refers to worrying a lot about the past or future. It’s actually quite common in a lot of people, but it’s definitely a pain to go through...

Right, well, everybody worries about something or other. 

My mantras for dealing with this are "Worrying will not change anything" and "Almost everything I have worried about has never happened".

Worrying is pointless.

This type of "anxiety" does not make you different from anybody else. Neither does shyness or lack of confidence, as I would imagine most people experience these at various times.  Even those who appear most confident.

In short, I think this "anxiety" business is not a mental health issue, but an aspect of the normal human condition.

• Like 1

Think it's called "life" I have this problem with my teenaged snowflake and her boyfriend and friends who are all suffering from mental health issues and in need of safe spaces and fuck knows what else. And they're being encouraged to live independently at university while being completely indulged :lol:

I'm off the scale on the autistic spectrum,  I deal with it, try to "pass," as NT, always have.

• Like 3

Tbf anxiety as a medical term isn't "just worrying" or being a bit anxious like a normal person as Toast outlines. It's a medical condition, sometimes linked to stress or a terrible thing like PTSD or the like, where the body starts acting the fuck up physically without an obvious cause. Irregular heartbeats, uncontrollable dizzy spells, signs of shock and so on. Controllable with medication or therapy but... it's usually a sign of something else being wrong. Physically or mentally.  I know someone who they later found out needed a pacemaker, for example, but it's not always heart related.

Oh, and avoiding stimulants is usually best too, like coffee and what not.

Wait I get that all the time msc is that really not normal? I thought that was just "life" tbh.

• Like 3

^ I refer you to the comments made a few moments earlier.

12 minutes ago, Boudicca said:

I'm off the scale on the autistic spectrum,  I deal with it, always have.

If everyone normal and "life" is off the autistic spectrum....

Actually, that'd explain a lot. As you were, then.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, msc said:

Tbf anxiety as a medical term isn't "just worrying" or being a bit anxious like a normal person as Toast outlines. It's a medical condition, sometimes linked to stress or a terrible thing like PTSD or the like, where the body starts acting the fuck up physically without an obvious cause. Irregular heartbeats, uncontrollable dizzy spells, signs of shock and so on. Controllable with medication or therapy but... it's usually a sign of something else being wrong. Physically or mentally.  I know someone who they later found out needed a pacemaker, for example, but it's not always heart related.

If it's really a medical term for a more serious condition, then imo it's unwise to give it a label that is shared by a state of mind that is routinely experienced by healthy people.  That results in  lots of attention-seeking wankers swarming on to the bandwagon claiming to be special.  Mumsnet, for example, is full of these drips.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No coffee? Fuck off msc just fuck right off to the edge of the cliff, turn around and take a step backwards.

The same applies to any one who uses PTSD in any semblance.

Fucking wanting to be led by the hand poofs .

*not an anti gay thing, 70's term for what now is a snowflake. But fuck going by their terminology.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

If it's really a medical term for a more serious condition, then imo it's unwise to give it a label that is shared by a state of mind that is routinely experienced by healthy people.  That results in  lots of attention-seeking wankers swarming on to the bandwagon claiming to be special.  Mumsnet, for example, is full of these drips.

It was a medical term that people co-opted to use more widely, no, ala hysteria? Iirc, of course, and the powers that be are a matter into themselves on such things. I've no idea if Joey has anxiety or is feeling anxious, just trying to answer the question!

I'm a bit lost in this but I'm anti anycunto who wants to separate me from coffee :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, msc said:

It was a medical term that people co-opted to use more widely, no, ala hysteria?

Not according to the OED.  1 is first recorded in 1475, 2 in 1555, 3 in 1661, and 4 is a newcomer in 1887.

1. Worry over the future or about something with an uncertain outcome; uneasy concern about a person, situation, etc.; a troubled state of mind arising from such worry or concern.

2. Strong desire or concern for something to happen or to do something; an instance of this.

3. Med. A physical feeling of discomfort or tightness in the chest or epigastric region; an instance of this. In later use more fully precordial anxiety. Now rare.

4. Psychiatry and Psychol. A pathological state characterized by inappropriate or excessive apprehension or fear, which may be generalized or attached to particular situations, and may be accompanied by physical symptoms such as tachycardia, increased muscle tension, and shortness of breath.

Newcomer from 1887! :D Point taken, however.

4 hours ago, msc said:

Aye -- I'm one of those - turns out I have very severe allergies (i.e. epi-pen jobbies) to common place things like Latex etc etc - I really thought I was' bonkers in the nut'*

* I believe that's the current correct medical term

22 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, while I won’t completely stop posting, I definitely feel like that I need to limit my own posting for lent (and in general). I know for me this will be a very difficult task, however, as every time I post something it gives me a brief relief to my anxiety...

How's this going Joey?

I make it a rather modest 20 posts for you yesterday.......seems in your self imposed post wilderness that temptation is winning at the moment and it's only day 1, 39 day and nights to go!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

How's this going Joey?

I make it a rather modest 20 posts for you yesterday.......seems in your self imposed post wilderness that temptation is winning at the moment and it's only day 1, 39 day and nights to go!

I think I make a lot more posts on days where there's a significant death than a normal day with a few smaller deaths. Yeah, I knew this was going to be very tough...

14 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think I make a lot more posts on days where there's a significant death than a normal day with a few smaller deaths. Yeah, I knew this was going to be very tough...

NOOOO - don't reply - that makes it 4 already today!:evil2:

• Haha 1