themaninblack

28 Years Of The Deathlist!

Roald Dahl's death was mentioned on Going Live a few days after he carked it, which I can clearly remember, but the first death I was aware of when it actually happened was Rajiv Gandhi, because they interrupted whatever was on TV at time with a newsflash for him.

I remember being very upset about the death of Deryck Guyler from Sykes and the Blue Peter cat.

Roald Dahl's death was mentioned on Going Live a few days after he carked it, which I can clearly remember, but the first death I was aware of when it actually happened was Rajiv Gandhi, because they interrupted whatever was on TV at time with a newsflash for him.

I don't remember that at all. After looking it up he was killed at 10PM Indian time which I guess would have been during Neighbours or something over here, I dunno.

If they'd interrupted one of my favourite TV shows as a kid, just to deliver the shocking news that the Indians had decided to knock off yet another member of the Gandhi family, then by fuck I would be incredibly retrospectively angry about that.

Was anyone else "up for Diana"? (ha ha?) I remember just flicking the telly on at 6am on a Sunday morning for no reason and was rewarded with the shocking news and those impressively grisly pictures of the remains of the Merc.

My main memory of Diana dying was being stuck on a motorway traffic jam on route to a holiday in Germany. Dad turned on the radio to find out about the traffic, got wall to wall Diana is dead coverage, and at one point, the announcer told us that there would be "no traffic reports" to focus on the important news story. But then, bar the whole "Queen is not mourning the way we want" outrage which got reported abroad too, and Mother Theresa carking it a few days later, the main thing I remember from the time was the German papers one day having the story in a sidebar, so they could focus on the big news story. A bullfighter had been gored to death by a bull in Spain, complete with big gory pictures, and the headline: "Finally the bull gets revenge"!

Nice thread revival, I approve.

I remember Diana's death as my youngest child was only three months old, my dickhead ex-husband had got up in the night to feed her and then came back into the bedroom and said she had died, I didn't believe him. Then he put the telly on to prove it. I also distinctly remember Michael Jackson's death, as I was shagging, and my friend text me, I read her text during the 'act' and that put Boyf right off.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Nice thread revival, I approve.

I remember Diana's death as my youngest child was only three months old, my dickhead ex-husband had got up in the night to feed her and then came back into the bedroom and said she had died, I didn't believe him. Then he put the telly on to prove it. I also distinctly remember Michael Jackson's death, as I was shagging, and my friend text me, I read her text during the 'act' and that put Boyf right off.

Lardy, you truly are an amazing person. I think it would wound me beyond belief if I was shagging and my g/f/ wife/ whatever started reading a text during the act.
  • Like 2

Lard's love life is one of the more intriguing subplots in this forum. It's like one of those sitcom characters that are oft mentioned but never seen, like Sheridan in 'Keeping up Appearances' or Mrs H's Willy in 'Shelley'. Keep it up...

Edited by themaninblack
  • Like 2

First death I can actually remember being aware of was Jack Benny.

I had no idea who he was.

• Haha 1

when i found out about Diana's and Michael Jackson's deaths i was playing computer games. Diana i thought she was the queen of England at the time , i was playing that terrible handheld game gear console lol when my mum turned on tv and I found out. That was the first time from TV that I felt something serious was happening, second time was 9/11. Michael Jacksons death i was playing gears of war 2 online heard over the mic people talking Michael Jackson is dead thought they were messing , put TV onto news saw it quit the game and came straight online reading articles and deathlist of course.

BTW on a side note about 9/11 our school were the absolute worst at handling it we left school usually at 3.30 pm but like a hour earlier they literally gathered all the pupils together went from class to class and just told us all to go home , you may think we were all happy but actually many were freaked out fellow pupils were asking why and all we were told to just go home. Looking back on it the teachers were probably freaked out too but they could of handled it better.

Lard's love life is one of the more intriguing subplots in this forum. It's like one of those sitcom characters that are oft mentioned but never seen, like Sheridan in 'Keeping up Appearances' or Mrs H's Willy in 'Shelley'. Keep it up...

Fnarr fnarr ......

• Like 1

I still remember Diana's death very vividly, because my mom was a huge fan of her (she has noted how my sister and I were born when Princes William and Harry were). My parents are divorced and it happened at a weekend my sister and I were under her care (Indeed, the main carer for us was our father). It was morning and I turned on the TV and saw it. I immediately woke up my mother and we watched the coverage the whole morning.

During 9/11, I was at the beach in Barcelona because of a school trip. I remember how the two of my classmates who reported it first, came back from the hotel to the beach and said how the Twin Towers and the Pentagon were hit, but also the White House and the Empire State Building. I guess there were lots of rumours going around at first... If I recall correctly, the first guess was Saddam Hussein, but the second suggestion, by me, was Osama Bin-Laden, mainly because just the week before I read about him in connection with the USS Cole bombing.

I think I learned of Michael Jackson's death in front of the computer. No special story. But I remember how I watched the colossal funeral at work.

To be fair it hasn't been that exciting. When I joined the forum I was married, then during my divorce year I went a bit mental, embarked on a couple of rather inappropriate (but sometimes jolly good fun!) dalliances, and then met the current sucker lucky bastard and have settled into domestic mediocrity.

By the way, I only looked at the text because it was late at night, and usually when someone texts you late at night it's because someone has died. Oh, wait.....

• Like 3

To be fair it hasn't been that exciting. When I joined the forum I was married, then during my divorce year I went a bit mental, embarked on a couple of rather inappropriate (but sometimes jolly good fun!) dalliances, and then met the current sucker lucky bastard and have settled into domestic mediocrity.

By the way, I only looked at the text because it was late at night, and usually when someone texts you late at night it's because someone has died. Oh, wait.....

I find if I wake up and there's multiple texts on my phone, someone has died. Usually because my friends who get up earlier have caught it on the 6am news. I learnt about David Frost and Tony Benn that way.

Like YoungWillz I think the first celeb death I can remember is Elvis. I had no idea who he was but I remember my primary school class being interrupted by another teacher coming in to talk to our teacher to tell her 'Elvis has died', I vaguely remember I thought she was talking about a pet. I didn't give it much thought at the time. The second memory of a death was when Mountbatten was blown up by the IRA, I had just started secondary school and our Modern Studies teacher took us along to the TV room so we could watch his funeral on the premise this was 'history in the making', cue loads of bored 12 year olds wondering WTF was going on, we had no interest in politics or royalty, I doubt any of us had ever heard the name Mountbatten in our lives before, this was Glasgow in the 1970's. We got a free couple of hours lounging about pretending to watch TV and not have to do boring work.

John Lennon's death was certainly my most vivid memory from childhood. I was heading to school and arrived at the local train station about 8:30 in the morning, there was always a huge scrum of us kids squeezing through the station office and onto the stairs, the news John had been shot was the talk of the day.The BBC showed Help or maybe it was Hard Days Night on the telly that evening and while I should have been studying for a history exam the next day I was glued to the TV.

Diana's death is also memorable mainly because they held her funeral on my 30th birthday and everything shut down. Even Glasgow was like a ghost town, here was I trying to party at reaching a milestone and nowhere was open. I celebrated the night before instead and got suitably pished so I had a raging hangover while her funeral took place. Happy birthday to me, in fairness my family laid on a huge meal at home that afternoon with copious amounts of booze and the hangover and Diana's demise were soon forgotten.

Ross McWhirter's assaination sticks in my mind. That was about two years before Elvis and I have about a year on you LG.

This thread makes me feel really old, because I think the first celeb death I remember was Marilyn Monroe. Not that I had a clue who she was.

• Like 1

The first celebrity death I remember was Jimi Hendrix, though I didn't have a clue who he was. The first I can remember who I did know who he was, was Pete Duel of Alias Smith & Jones.

The Munich Olympics massacre was the only event for which we were all marched to the school hall to watch unfold on TV - it was during a PE lesson, so was deemed relevant I suppose.

On the night Diana died, I'd fallen asleep in front of the TV (after a few drinks) and woken up some hours later with the news giving sketchy details. I did what any normal person would have done and crawled off to bed.

I particularly remember the death of Peter Sellers - it was the day after my Grandad died.

I feel fairly young in comparison, as the first celebrity death that I remember and knew who he was, was Roy Castle.

Like YoungWillz I think the first celeb death I can remember is Elvis. I had no idea who he was but I remember my primary school class being interrupted by another teacher coming in to talk to our teacher to tell her 'Elvis has died', I vaguely remember I thought she was talking about a pet. I didn't give it much thought at the time. The second memory of a death was when Mountbatten was blown up by the IRA, I had just started secondary school and our Modern Studies teacher took us along to the TV room so we could watch his funeral on the premise this was 'history in the making', cue loads of bored 12 year olds wondering WTF was going on, we had no interest in politics or royalty, I doubt any of us had ever heard the name Mountbatten in our lives before, this was Glasgow in the 1970's. We got a free couple of hours lounging about pretending to watch TV and not have to do boring work.

John Lennon's death was certainly my most vivid memory from childhood. I was heading to school and arrived at the local train station about 8:30 in the morning, there was always a huge scrum of us kids squeezing through the station office and onto the stairs, the news John had been shot was the talk of the day.The BBC showed Help or maybe it was Hard Days Night on the telly that evening and while I should have been studying for a history exam the next day I was glued to the TV.

Diana's death is also memorable mainly because they held her funeral on my 30th birthday and everything shut down. Even Glasgow was like a ghost town, here was I trying to party at reaching a milestone and nowhere was open. I celebrated the night before instead and got suitably pished so I had a raging hangover while her funeral took place. Happy birthday to me, in fairness my family laid on a huge meal at home that afternoon with copious amounts of booze and the hangover and Diana's demise were soon forgotten.

She died on my 28th birthday and we didn't find our until lunchtime because it was a Sunday and no reason to turn the telly on. My Brother in law phoned up and assumed we already knew. Watched the rest of the days coverage though. Hilarious Peter Sissons/Jennie Bond moment late on in the afternoon.

The death of Princess Diana I didn't find out about until I switched on the telly at 7pm to watch the footy (Feyenoord beat De Graafschap 2 - 0) and the news was all over the screen. Her funeral was broadcast live on Dutch TV, but I had more entertaining things to do.

About the 11 September events I learned when I arrived at my chess club, some five hours after the attacks. I then realised that what I had seen on the telly (with the sound turned off, at the Surinamese restaurant where I had dinner) was live footage, not some film.

I vaguely remember when Martin Luther King was killed. I heard it on the radio news (no telly in the house) the next day. I didn't understand the importance of it, so I asked my mom. This was the first time I learned about race relations in the US.

The first death I remember being discussed at the family dinner table - other than dead relatives - was that of Lou de Palingboer, a self-proclaimed reincarnation of Jesus.

• Like 1

Diana's demise I heard on radio 5 as the reports came in , at stoopid o'clock. Very entertaining.

Not so entertaining was the funeral. Had to take the day off work, and NOTHING was open. No pubs, bookies etc and the same shtick on every TV/radio channel.

Selfish cow.

11th Sept and I was on day off (Tuesday). Saw first plane hit in the house and was in the pub in time to see the second. Nice big plasma they had iirc.

Mountbatten/Neive/McWhirter I remember well, but Bolans death registered more than Elvis. Strange as I didn't care two hoots for t Rex.

Very hard to pin down first I definitely recall, but I'll take a stab at Pompidou. My brother was overdosing on Piaf at the time and I do recall him going on about it, and that would predate my dad being all chuffed about de Valera by about a year .

Of no interest in the UK, like the events discussed above, I recall vividly when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded wiping out a crew and that teacher who had little business on it, as her students and 1000s of others watched live. Anyway I worked as groundskeeper for an apartment complex at the time -- 22 yrs old I think --along with 5-6 other males. We were all silent and stunned and just gutted, and after listening and watching updates we were sent home.

Not sure the ragging on Princess Di. WTF does someone have to do to get respect around here? It hit the TV ticker about 9pm EST in the States and I stared at the TV knowing nothing particularly new would come of it (though the immediate reports made it sound she was alive but messed up), and didn't shut it off till 4am. You may recall Mother Teresa died within a day or two and no one noticed cuz it was all Di all the time on the news.

I was 3 when MLK died. We move from Detroit to Pittsburgh the year before the Detroit Riots so I missed that first hand.

Sept 11 is a story to itself. Nutshell: My wife at the time worked in the 26th floor of the most visible office tower in Detroit overlooking Canada. I called her and told her get the fuck outta there now! Drove past the airport to/from work the next couple weeks and no air traffic was eerie and creepy.

SC

Another huge death I remember is Neil Armstrong

For the 30th anniversary list what you guys think of including the only survivor of the orignal list Ozzy ?

• Like 1