Mr Stats

World's Oldest

56 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Violet Brown, the oldest living woman, has reportedly died

and so the last living person from the Victorian era finally leaves us. R.I.P 

edit:I forgot about Nabi Tajima who is now the last living person from the Victorian era. Violet Brown was the last living subject of Queen Victoria though

Very sad to hear this news about 'Aunt V'. Certainly sad that her last days were so dramatic.

If she had lived 6 more weeks, she'd have surpassed Marie-Louise Meilleur, and would've become the first person since the 1990s to crack the top 4. 

RIP to the last Victorian subject, and a wonderful lady.

Honorine Rondelio, oldest living French person and 8th oldest French person of all time has died aged 114 years and 84 days.

• Like 1

One of the UK's four oldest people is a Cumbrian who lives in gale-hammered/rain-lashed Shap

Link: http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/VIDEO-Cumbrian-woman-who-is-one-of-the-UKs-oldest-celebrates-110th-birthday-3553cabd-4549-471b-a203-a670288e04ce-ds

• Like 1

Kenny Meyer, the New Jersey man who in July made headlines as he became the world's oldest skydiver (at age 102), died Tuesday. Meyer, who was a car salesman for 47 years at Norris Chevrolet in Westfield, passed away Dec. 5.  On July 27, Meyer took the jump that earned him the Guinness Book of World Record holder for oldest person to skydive.

SC

• Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 13:35, Drewsky1211 said:

Ana Maria Vela Rubio, Spain's oldest person ever, has died at the age of 116.

Descansa en paz.
So do the Spanish say D.E.P. instead of R.I.P.?  Cuz why would they say RIP?

SC

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Descansa en paz.
So do the Spanish say D.E.P. instead of R.I.P.?  Cuz why would they say RIP?

SC

Because RIP is Latin.  Requiescat In Pace.

It's just a coincidence that the English words fit the abbreviation.  It works in Italian too, unsurprisingly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

Because RIP is Latin.  Requiescat In Pace.

It's just a coincidence that the English words fit the abbreviation.  It works in Italian too, unsurprisingly.

Admittedly I knew that (school taught Latin) but another example of why this is, imo, one of the great forums on the web. Come for the morbid interest, stay for the educating posts!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, msc said:

Admittedly I knew that (school taught Latin) but another example of why this is, imo, one of the great forums on the web. Come for the morbid interest, stay for the educating posts!

Yes, because I didn't know the Spanish for Rest In Peace either!

• Like 1

Well, some days both sides of the people arguing gets to learn something new...

18 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, some days both sides of the people arguing gets to learn something new...

Nobody was arguing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Nobody was arguing.

Jeesh, it's the holiday season.  Yup, I just asked a question, and it appears it was of minor interest to a few, so we learned us something (well, I did).

SC

• Like 1

"World's Oldest Man",  José Aguinelo dos Santos, a Brazilian, dies aged 129. Not verified by Guinness, but recognised by the Brazilian authorities (and The Mirror).

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, time said:

"World's Oldest Man",  José Aguinelo dos Santos, a Brazilian, dies aged 129. Not verified by Guinness, but recognised by the Brazilian authorities (and The Mirror).

Well, to be fair, The Mirror are having it both ways. Having used his age to snag the readers etc. they bury that lack of verification way down in the story

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Well, to be fair, The Mirror are having it both ways. Having used his age to snag the readers etc. they bury that lack of verification way down in the story

That doesn't reflect well on the Mirror.

I'll get me coat......

• Like 3

On 22/12/2017 at 23:46, time said:

Obviously not Woodvines then.

According to our 'non-evil twins' at the 110 Club, one of Britain's oldest people, Alice Ducat, died aged 112 in December 2017.

Just something to point out as she was picked in the 2017 DDP, and may have been picked again.

If a proper obit shows up, that'll be another Raymond Hewlitt award, this time going to maryport...

11 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

If a proper obit shows up, that'll be another Raymond Hewlitt award, this time going to maryport...

OOOhhh yes, surprised it was just me tbh - and I think you'll discover she probably had mucho support on the DDP. Apart from owt else she was mildly news worthy cos she could claim to be the oldest living Scot despite being resident in Kent. That said, timing was shit and can't see a sniff of a q/o in the local Kent Messenger paper for her area. 

• Like 1