Dead Wait

Ideas And Possibilities For 2016

What about Jacob or Evelyn Rothschild for the 2016 DL? They look about as old as the mansions and castles they own. :wheelchair:

Detroit Social activist philosopher and feminist Grace Lee Boggs turns 100 today and has declined media interviews due to being in hospice care and was also unable to attend her own birthday party .She has now been in hospice care since last September.Not sure if she is famous enough for Death List but I can`t see her lasting much longer.She and her late husband had links with Malcolm X and were monitored by the FBI.If we put her on next years list as "philosopher/activist" could we justify it under the Death List`s criteria of inclusion based on fame and not the fact she is on her way out?

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/06/27/417175523/grace-lee-boggs-activist-and-american-revolutionary-turns-100

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/06/27/grace-lee-boggs-birthday-party/29384585/

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/10/10/i_am_coming_to_the_end

GLB is a pick for a few people in the DDP this year, including me, mainly because of the "pls gib money" requests sent in early December from her foundation for her hospice care. Surprising how someone got to 99 without being on anyone's radar before this year, but I'm quietly confident she's gonna check out soon.

If one of us ever gets cancer would that user be put on the death list

Depends if any of us are famous.If I was famous I would of course feel obliged to share the news of my imminent demise.

Guest Guest1

Don Rickles looks frail as hell, sad as I would be to see him go. He had an operation that limited his walking in the last two years, and although he seems not to have a walking stick any more, he's less coherent and his voice is weaker. He's still active but I imagine every morning is a blessing the way he looks/sounds.

BTW is there any discussion about reforming the way the list works? Having only half the previous list allowed ruins it for me: they're there for a reason. I'd rather see each year start with the previous year's list, minus the dead ones, minus the ones who clearly aren't going anywhere (Ozzy Osborne was there several times in the 80s lists/Wiko Johnson getting the all clear), and with new candidates taking their place. A limit of half is arbitrary and kind of defeats the honesty of the list in the first place IMO.

GLB is a pick for a few people in the DDP this year, including me, mainly because of the "pls gib money" requests sent in early December from her foundation for her hospice care. Surprising how someone got to 99 without being on anyone's radar before this year, but I'm quietly confident she's gonna check out soon.

How well will her death be reported in the UK?

How well will her death be reported in the UK?

Would cut a bollock off if she doesn't get a Guardian obit. Plus the fact that she has a documentary out about her right now presumably means a Reuters obit, which will also lead to a mention in the Mail.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Boggs turns out to be a Bob Hope/George Burns deal where she's so frail that the century mark was her last real goal in life and she dies a month or two after.

Depends if any of us are famous.If I was famous I would of course feel obliged to share the news of my imminent demise.

There has been rumours that a few famous people are members here, or at least have visited .

Here`s what I think should happen with next years List.(I will edit as the year goes on)

Keep:

1)Herman Wouk

2)Joao Havelange

3)Olivia de Haviland

4)Kirk Douglas

5)Zsa Zsa Gabor

6)Vera Lynn

7)Denis Healey

8)Peter O`Sullevan

9)Billy Graham

10)Al Molinaro

11)Cliff Michelmore

12)Javier Perez de Cuellar

13)Richard Adams

14)Peter Sallis

15)Prince Philip

16)Liz Smith

17)Denis Norden

18)Henry Kissenger

19)Leslie Phillips

20)Fidel Castro

21)Bhumibol Adulyadej

22)Helmut Kohl

23)Maureen O`Hara

24)Martin Crowe

25)Clive James

Re-Add

1)Muhammad Ali

2)Abe Vigoda

3)Peter Carrington

4)Stan Lee

5)Ian Brady

6)Desmond Tutu

7)Sean Connery

8)Nicholas Parsons

9)Fats Domino

10)Jerry Lewis

11)Stephen Hawking

New Picks:

1)Howard Marks

2)Lynne Stewart

3)Brian Sewell

4)Oliver Sacks

5)Grace Lee Boggs

6)Phyllis Tickle

7)Antony Booth

8)Sir Nicholas Winton

9)Clare Hollingworth

10)John Hurt

11)Burt Reynolds

12)Jimmy Hill

13)Joni Mitchell

14)Jimmy Greaves

Here`s what I think should happen with next years List.(I will edit as the year goes on)

Keep:

1)Herman Wouk

2)Joao Havelange

3)Olivia de Haviland

4)Kirk Douglas

5)Zsa Zsa Gabor

6)Vera Lynn

7)Denis Healey

8)Peter O`Sullevan

9)Billy Graham

10)Al Molinaro

11)Cliff Michelmore

12)Javier Perez de Cuellar

13)Richard Adams

14)Peter Sallis

15)Prince Philip

16)Liz Smith

17)Denis Norden

18)Henry Kissenger

19)Leslie Phillips

20)Fidel Castro

21)Bhumibol Adulyadej

22)Helmut Kohl

23)Maureen O`Hara

24)Martin Crowe

25)Clive James

Re-Add

1)Muhammad Ali

2)Abe Vigoda

3)Peter Carrington

4)Stan Lee

5)Ian Brady

6)Desmond Tutu

7)Sean Connery

8)Nicholas Parsons

9)Fats Domino

10)Jerry Lewis

11)Stephen Hawking

New Picks:

1)Howard Marks

2)Lynne Stewart

3)Brian Sewell

4)Oliver Sacks

5)Grace Lee Boggs

6)Phyllis Tickle

7)Antony Booth

8)Sir Nicholas Winton

9)Clare Hollingworth

10)John Hurt

11)Burt Reynolds

12)Jimmy Hill

13)Joni Mitchell

14)Jimmy Greaves

There's not been much in the way of updates with Ian St John's cancer battle could have the double with Saint & Greavsie

I think I found I good candidate. The new York times are talking about an old nazi officer who admits guilt but refuses to apologize. According to the article he is94 and his name is oskar groning and with his trail might do damage to his health and also make him famous enough to get orbit

• Like 1

I just found these two gifts from heaven--or hell as it were--for 2016 should you feel they could obit!

"The two surviving senior leaders of Cambodia’s former Khmer Rouge regime launched appeals on Thursday of their convictions by a U.N.-backed tribunal that sentenced them to life in prison for their roles during the group’s brutal rule in the 1970s.

Khieu Samphan, the Khmer Rouge’s 83-year-old former head of state, and Nuon Chea, its 88-year-old chief ideologue, appeared in court on Thursday for the first day of the appeals. The tribunal said a ruling on the appeals by its Supreme Court is not expected until early next year.

The two men, both frail and ailing, are the regime’s only surviving leaders. The case against them was divided into separate smaller trials in an effort to render justice before they die.

SC

http://m.thehindu.com/news/international/2-former-khmer-rouge-leaders-appeal-convictions/article7378560.ece

Today the castaway on Desert Island Discs was Harry Rabinowitz the conductor who is 99. He sounded very sprightly and Kirsty Young mentioned that he looked 20 years younger but I think he should at least be on the radar and now he has been on DID the BBC are bound to mention it when he dies so they can link it to the i-player.

Guest The Watcher

What about the Chands? They celebrate their 90th wedding anniversary later this year!!! They live in Bradford & he is nearly 110 & she is about 103 I think. Their W/A is so rare that it does not have a special name as Oak for 80th is the 'largest' special name. Apart from a couple who were married as children & Wiki states that they were married for 91 years no other couple appear to have ever passed around 85 years of marital union!

An American site states that there are currently 2 living grandsons of John Tyler who was US President from 1841-45!!! It also states that there are still 2 surviving children of American Civil War veterans even though the war ended in 1865!!!

Today the castaway on Desert Island Discs was Harry Rabinowitz the conductor who is 99. He sounded very sprightly and Kirsty Young mentioned that he looked 20 years younger but I think he should at least be on the radar and now he has been on DID the BBC are bound to mention it when he dies so they can link it to the i-player.

Now that brings back some childhood memories. His name often appeared on TV credits and my mum and I never tired of saying it out loud when it did.

I had no idea how to pronounce it, and I don't think my mum was sure either, but it was a fun name to say.

And he's still alive! Go Harry!

• Like 1

An American site states that there are currently 2 living grandsons of John Tyler who was US President from 1841-45!!! It also states that there are still 2 surviving children of American Civil War veterans even though the war ended in 1865!!!

Would've thought more than 2. Maudie Hopkins only died 5 or 6 years ago and she was the last wifie to still collect the Civil War Widows pension.

Would've thought more than 2. Maudie Hopkins only died 5 or 6 years ago and she was the last wifie to still collect the Civil War Widows pension.

This National Geographic report from November last year claims "fewer than 35" on the rolls of heritage groups that keep track of them.

Now that brings back some childhood memories. His name often appeared on TV credits and my mum and I never tired of saying it out loud when it did.

I had no idea how to pronounce it, and I don't think my mum was sure either, but it was a fun name to say.

And he's still alive! Go Harry!

He arranged the theme to Reilly: Ace of Spies

Parkys cancer has been given all clear