Captain Oates

Interesting Ways To Die...

Barry man choked to death after eating cheeseburger whole

A father-of-three choked to death as he tried to eat a McDonald's cheeseburger in one mouthful, an inquest has heard.

Darren Bray, 29, of Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, blacked out as he ate the 99p burger following a night out with friends in October 2015.

Cardiff Coroner's Court heard Mr Bray, 1who had been drinking, but not enough to affect his judgement, died from a blockage to his airway.

A death by misadventure conclusion was recorded.

2The hearing was told Mr Bray said "watch this" to his friends as he squashed the burger in half and put it in his mouth.

Friend Sam Bisgrove said: "I could see him trying to cough it up and he was making horrible coughing noises.

"I tried to hit his back to help him clear his airway."

Paramedics arrived and performed CPR on Mr Bray, who was at a friend's house in Barry, but were unable to restart his heart and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Dr Rhiannon Trefor told the hearing there was an 8cm by 5cm (3in by 1.9in) ball of food stuck in his throat.

"He would not have been able to breath... with that in his airway, she said.

1. What a surprise alcohol was involved.

2. Whenever alcohol is involved and someone says "watch this", you just know it isn't going to end well.

• Like 2

Barry man choked to death after eating cheeseburger whole

A father-of-three choked to death as he tried to eat a McDonald's cheeseburger in one mouthful, an inquest has heard.

Darren Bray, 29, of Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, blacked out as he ate the 99p burger following a night out with friends in October 2015.

Cardiff Coroner's Court heard Mr Bray, 1who had been drinking, but not enough to affect his judgement, died from a blockage to his airway.

A death by misadventure conclusion was recorded.

2The hearing was told Mr Bray said "watch this" to his friends as he squashed the burger in half and put it in his mouth.

Friend Sam Bisgrove said: "I could see him trying to cough it up and he was making horrible coughing noises.

"I tried to hit his back to help him clear his airway."

Paramedics arrived and performed CPR on Mr Bray, who was at a friend's house in Barry, but were unable to restart his heart and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Dr Rhiannon Trefor told the hearing there was an 8cm by 5cm (3in by 1.9in) ball of food stuck in his throat.

"He would not have been able to breath... with that in his airway, she said.

1. What a surprise alcohol was involved.

2. Whenever alcohol is involved and someone says "watch this", you just know it isn't going to end well.

Should have declined the pickle. Which he got himself into.

Someone called me Cheeseburger Hole once.

There are so many responses to this but it would be unchivalrous to say such things to a Lady

• Like 5

On further consideration, I think my post fitted "ironic deaths" better. So I moved it.

If you're a terrorist bomber trying to bring down a passenger airliner and the only victim is you, you're the loser of the week.

This one maxed out his Karma card in one instance.

Blown himself up.... Sucked out of the hole in the fuselage that he created.....Falls to the ground...On fire!

Gravity trumps everything. Hail Isaac Newton!

Well he got two things right.

1. The bomb detonated.

2. He commited suicide.

The guy keeled over on the way out.... which as a commenter there has noted is a slice of luck for the sugary treat purveyor.

Krispy Kreme, I'm sure, is very glad the participant withdrew from the race before ingesting 12 of their donuts.

Although "withdrew" appears somewhat euphemistic.

• Like 2

If confirmed, could be the first recorded 'death by meteorite' in 200 years.

SC

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/meteorite-suspected-death-man-southern-india-n513816

I've been trying to find out who exactly got killed by a meteorite 200 year ago. And failed. There were close calls though. If confirmed, this may well be the first recorded 'death by meteorite'.

Evah.

If confirmed.

SC

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/meteorite-suspected-death-man-southern-india-n513816

I've been trying to find out who exactly got killed by a meteorite 200 year ago. And failed. There were close calls though. If confirmed, this may well be the first recorded 'death by meteorite'.

Evah.

If confirmed.

Second one on that list for January 1825 has "man killed, woman injured in meteorite fall"

SC

Evah.

If confirmed.

Second one on that list for January 1825 has "man killed, woman injured in meteorite fall"

Yes, but that one isn't very well documented. See here for a discussion. According to http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1945-5100.1951.tb00184.x/pdf(table 1, pp 76-77) :

1825 Jan. 16 A meteorite that fell at Oriang (Malwate) in British India killed a man and seriously injured a woman.(S. Meunier) No specimen was recovered and preserved

SC

Evah.

If confirmed.

Yes, but that one isn't very well documented. See here for a discussion. According to http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1945-5100.1951.tb00184.x/pdf(table 1, pp 76-77) :

1825 Jan. 16 A meteorite that fell at Oriang (Malwate) in British India killed a man and seriously injured a woman.(S. Meunier) No specimen was recovered and preserved

Well it was 200 years ago, they probably didn't think of it at the time. Nowadays we record practically everything.

SC

Evah.

If confirmed.

Well it was 200 years ago, they probably didn't think of it at the time. Nowadays we record practically everything.

True, but there were newspapers and scientific journals then. I don't suppose killer meteorites were common as holy grails in a Monty Python film then. Somebody must has noticed and written a Letter to the Editor.

SC

Evah.

If confirmed.

True, but there were newspapers and scientific journals then. I don't suppose killer meteorites were common as holy grails in a Monty Python film then. Somebody must has noticed and written a Letter to the Editor.

It took me ages to find any information on the original weight of Curly Wurly from just a couple of decades ago, finding information on killer meteorites... now that sounds like a challenge.

• Like 1

Well, I'm making progress. I quote V.F.F. Chladnl, Neue Beiträge zur Kenntniß der Feuermeteors und der herabgefallenen Maſſen; part 5, in: Annalen der Physik und Chemie, Volume 2, Berlin, J. C. Poggendorff (ed) , 1826, Published by Abrosius Barth, Leipzig

Es er„eigneten sich dabei einige Unglücksfälle; eine alte „Frau ward am rechten Arme schwer verwundet, ein „Trommelschläger, der die Retraite schlug (tattoo), „ward auf der Stelle getödtet"

So the dead man was a drummer who was beating the retreat. Annalen der Physik was and is an old and respectable scientific journal. The article gives as source: Asiatical Journal, Oct 25, 1825. p. 486 and says it quotes a message dated 17 January 1825 in the India Gazette.

No more time now, I have leads.

• Like 2

Well, I'm making progress. I quote V.F.F. Chladnl, Neue Beiträge zur Kenntniß der Feuermeteors und der herabgefallenen Maffen; part 5, in: Annalen der Physik und Chemie, Volume 2, Berlin, J. C. Poggendorff (ed) , 1826, Published by Abrosius Barth, Leipzig

Es er„eigneten sich dabei einige Unglücksfälle; eine alte „Frau ward am rechten Arme schwer verwundet, ein „Trommelschläger, der die Retraite schlug (tattoo), „ward auf der Stelle getödtet"

So the dead man was a drummer who was beating the retreat. Annalen der Physik was and is an old and respectable scientific journal. The article gives as source: Asiatical Journal, Oct 25, 1825. p. 486 and says it quotes a message dated 17 Januart 1825 in the India Gazette.

No more time now, but I have leads.

The only reference I found so far was of an Italian friar in the 17th century who died from being struck on the thigh and was killed. No record of his name and no evidence of the metorite or even a section of it being preserved anywhere.

Well, I'm making progress. I quote V.F.F. Chladnl, Neue Beiträge zur Kenntniß der Feuermeteors und der herabgefallenen Maffen; part 5, in: Annalen der Physik und Chemie, Volume 2, Berlin, J. C. Poggendorff (ed) , 1826, Published by Abrosius Barth, Leipzig

So the dead man was a drummer who was beating the retreat. Annalen der Physik was and is an old and respectable scientific journal. The article gives as source: Asiatical Journal, Oct 25, 1825. p. 486 and says it quotes a message dated 17 Januart 1825 in the India Gazette.

He'd have been a good pick for the Hartlepool Deadlypool, then.

He'd have been a good pick for the Hartlepool Deadlypool, then.

Especially if he'd been on Bollywood Squares.

The Krispy Kreme Challenge: run 2.5 miles, bang back a dozen Kripsy Kreme doughnuts, run back. What could go wrong?

SChttp://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2016/02/runner_in_krispy_kreme_challen.html

I never understood why people raved about Krispy Kreme. I tried one once shortly before their shops closed down in Minnesota. They were sickly sweet that it felt as if my teeth were itching.

• Like 1

The Krispy Kreme Challenge: run 2.5 miles, bang back a dozen Kripsy Kreme doughnuts, run back. What could go wrong?

SChttp://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf/2016/02/runner_in_krispy_kreme_challen.html

I never understood why people raved about Krispy Kreme. I tried one once shortly before their shops closed down in Minnesota. They were sickly sweet that it felt as if my teeth were itching.

You'll get little argument from me my good man. The glazed doughnuts are the only recommendation w strong coffee, otherwise no need to partake.

SC

You'll get little argument from me my good man. The glazed doughnuts are the only recommendation w strong coffee, otherwise no need to partake.

SC

I've never tried Krispy Kreme, never been tempted even though there's a franchise I pass almost daily.

I was partial to Entemann's doughnuts, though. Box of 12, followed by 12 hours of crippling indigestion.