maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

I met James Herbert once at a do. We chatted about something but I can't remember what it was. I dare say I'd have been pissed since it would have been the 1990s. All I can recall from his books was somebody with a pair of gardening sheers lopping off the todger of someone else in a gym. Or was that some other book by some other author? I appreciate that as James Herbert anecdotes go, this one is piss poor.

• Like 1

Any James Herbert anecdote is better than No James Herbert anecdote.

The bit with the shears in the gym is one of Herbert's and is from 'The Fog'

That whole of the gym part was pretty shocking I must admit!!

Oh wow. Chinua was living in America working as a college professor. Had no idea. He died in Boston. I've picked him in other pools before. Looks like he's never been picked in DDP. Shame that he won't get a mention. I should've stuck him in my Bet on Black team.

Author Ian Banks has terminal cancer. If he survives till new years eve, he's a sitting duck for 2014.

Edit:

Dammit, fucker got his own topic.

Whitehouse; resurrector of dead topics...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/j-david-kuo-onetime-leader-of-bushs-faith-based-initiative-dies-at-44/2013/04/06/24e9cd6a-987e-11e2-97cd-3d8c1afe4f0f_story.html

David Kuo who's book Tempting Faith became a NY Times Best Seller has died at 44 after a 10 year battle with brain cancer

http://www.washingto...4f0f_story.html

David Kuo who's book Tempting Faith became a NY Times Best Seller has died at 44 after a 10 year battle with brain cancer

I'd been aware of him/his illness, never seriously considered him for my team though due to obit unsureness.

Just looking at Martin Amis on telly (Newsnight), going on about Margaret Thatcher. He looks remarkably jaundiced, like a carrot.

Just looking at Martin Amis on telly (Newsnight), going on about Margaret Thatcher. He looks remarkably jaundiced, like a carrot.

That's because he is remarkably jaundiced. I always find it funny that he turned out to have the same trajectory as his Dad - bright young writer, now a sad, right-wing old buzzard...

A couple more kids authors who may be worth keeping an eye on David McKee (b.1935) who is responsible for Mr Benn, King Rollo and Elmer the Patchwork elephant and Jill Murphy (b.1949) who created The Worst Witch series of books which are about the antics of a girl who goes to a special boarding school for the magically inclined an gets involved in all sorts of adventures.

These were written well before the adventures of a certain boy wizard and are a lot more fun a responsible for the destruction of less trees - I presume she doesn't have very good lawyers or belives in live and let live. She also won awards for her Large family picture books and The Last Noo-Noo.

A couple more kids authors who may be worth keeping an eye on David McKee (b.1935) who is responsible for Mr Benn, King Rollo and Elmer the Patchwork elephant and Jill Murphy (b.1949) who created The Worst Witch series of books which are about the antics of a girl who goes to a special boarding school for the magically inclined an gets involved in all sorts of adventures.

These were written well before the adventures of a certain boy wizard and are a lot more fun a responsible for the destruction of less trees - I presume she doesn't have very good lawyers or belives in live and let live. She also won awards for her Large family picture books and The Lasy Noo-Noo.

Murphy has had breast cancer in the past so she may be worth keeping an eye on. I used to love The Worst Witch books.

Surprised to find that she's still with us.

I might have got her mixed up with Claire Rayner. Or Maeve Binchy. Or somebody like that.

'Blott on the Landscape' author Tom Sharpe has died aged 85...

Surely Tom Sharpe has merely Wilted?

• Like 1

Vince Flynn, the great author of the Mitch Rapp series has stage 3 metastatic cancer. Sad Sad News

Dead

Michael Baigent

The New Zealand born co-author (with Richard Leigh) of "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" has died aged 65. In 2006 they unsuccessfully sued Dan Brown's publisher claiming that "The Da Vinci Code" had infringed their copyright.

Brian Aldiss has written his last SF novel (Don't all cheer at once) but he is still intending to go on writing mainstream novels and presumably popping up everytime one of his contempories dies to remind us all how good he is.

Author Deric Longden has died aged 76.

He wrote about living with disability with probably his most famous work being 'Lost for Words', focusing on looking after his mother as she declined into dementia, the film of which starred Pete Postlethwaite and Thora Hird.