Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

Sister Lucia

Is she only on the list because of age? Personally, I've never heard of her. What is her claim to fame? Apart from being a nun(?) and old. Wikipedia came up with nothing, the dont have a page for her.

I don't really agree with her being on the list, I think that it breaks the rules of nominating non-famous people because of their age.

Yeah, Sister Lucia passes the famous enough test, but only because of the publicity generated by her claim to be able to see the the vision of the Fatima. What's really interesting is that there are many people in her own Catholic church who see her as an imposter and an opportunist and are using various means to silence her.

I found two interesting articles on her when I was searching the web

Silencing of Sister Lucia

Crime against the Catholic Church

It does not really matter to me whether or not she is genuine or a fraud, as I am not a Catholic and don’t take end of the world prophecies seriously. The most relevant question though - Is she likely to die soon? At 98 and in frail health, there is a good chance that it will happen this year.

Had a quick look through your links ff. Interesting. Yours to GR.

Came across one of them too whilst looking.

She is quite famous (in her own sphere) - I had heard of her, though only vaguely.

Got a bit of a fixation on the consecration of Russia to Her (the Virgin Mary's) Immaculate Heart, whatever that is, hasn't she ?

And the third secret is meant to be pretty dull, about loss of faith in the Catholic church - except in Portugal, for some obscure reason.

Guest Whitehouse

I've been to Fatima. I'm no Catholic and to me that place was the birthplace of kitch. Yuck!

If Lourdes is the pilgrimage destination number one, this is number two. This is the Church with the courtyard which can accomodate more than 300.000 people.

Guest Guest

Sister Lucia, or "irmã Lucia" as we call her in Portugal, is one of three brothers and sisters, all shepperds, who allegedly encountered Saint Mary in Fatima, in the 1910's. They're testemony was recongnized by the Vatican, after months of interrogation an (allegedly) even torture.

Sister Lucia's brother Francisco and sister Jacinta died soon after these "encounters"with the Virgin Mary. Their process of canonization is presently taking place in the Vatican.

Sister Lucia has herself been linked with a number of unexplained cures and is said to be the holder od three secrets revealed by the virgin. Two of them have allready been made public by the Vatican (after they took place): World Wars I e II and the assassination atempt on Pope John Paul II, that took place in the 80's, in the same day (May 13th) the Virgin first "appeared" to the three shepperds. Pope John Paul II is a devotee os the Fatima Virgin and has visited the site severall times.

The recognition of the "Fatima Miracle" isn't based solely on the testemony of sister Lucia and her brother and sister. Thousands of people claimed to have witnessed "The Miracle of the Sun", in wich the Sun literally "started to dance in the sky".

I'm not a Fatima believer myself, but, as celebrities go, I think beeing consideres a living saint by the Pope himself is a good business Card

I preferred Roger when he starred along side Tony Curtis in the Persuaders. Top show!

I actually suggested Lucia first. I'll be quite sad when she dies, her being one of the last people to have experienced such a vision. At least she has her place in history.

I actually suggested Lucia first. I'll be quite sad when she dies, her being one of the last people to have experienced such a vision.

As I understand it Roman Catholics throughout the world experience this kind of visions on a regular basis. The difference is that they aren't taken seriously, for good reasons.

At least she has her place in history.

There's no denying that.

regards,

Hein

Guest Guest

Well .. she died !

today .. 13 Feb at 17h in Portugal

No sign of this any where yet on the news sites - got a link guest?

Including a lovely spelling error:

John Paul credit’s the Virgin’s intercession for his survival.

I know this is the wrong thread for language pedantry... :P

regards,

Hein

Guest Guest

Now that she has died, is it possible that if there was more to the vision than has been told, that it will be revealed?

I know this is the wrong thread for language pedantry... :P

regards,

Hein

No it isn't.

Guest abeliever

Ones belief or disbelief in the facts do not diminish them.

Sister Lucia's experienced visions of the Blessed Mother at Fatima along with 2 other children.

I have not been to Fatima tho I have been to Lourdes. Contrary to travel books that refer to the kitch atmostphere, it's a beautiful shrine and I personally experienced a re-conversion, and my non-Catholic brother-in-law who was with us

was diagnosed with cancer shortly afterwards. The miracle for him is that tho the cancer was at an advanced stage that would have normally been a death sentance,

his tumor was completely encapsulated and removed successfully.

Anyone who had cancer at that stage would have had it all thru their body.

One could argue why he wasnt cured of the cancer there.

If he had been, he'd never have known of the blessing, and would not have quit smoking, which is what caused the cancer. Nor would his wife have been influenced to quit.

In regards to this site, I find it tacky and goulish. A sad way to pass ones time.

Guest Donald R. Sudsina
This is the place to discuss Sister Lucia I always believed in the miracle of Fatima and pray that Sister Lucia has now become a saint!

I was surprised to hear of Sister Lucia (?) death. In my own way I hope she can hear my subtle plea for help to become a better person in this life

Guest Fergal

I visited Fatima in 1992 and will never forget the wonderful experience I and many others had there. Wonderful place. It was a place of re conversion, healing and great grace. It was also a place of preparation for me for what was about to happen to me.

In 2002 I was diagnosed with cancer and thank God through the intercession of Our Blessed Lady of Fatima and through the intercession of Lucia's two cousins Jacinta and Francisco I am now cancer free. Even the doctors are suprised at the outcome.

So sad today on hearing the news of Sr Lucias death. May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Folks please remember that there are those of us out here who believe and to make fun of such an event is not an admirable thing to do.

Thank you,

Fergal

Ireland