Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Paul Daniels

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving man tbh.

You mean that the tumour is an improvement? :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Even this magician cant make this dreadful illness disappear

The only good thing about Paul Daniels was the theme to his magic show. I cant think of another redeeming feature, he's a wee prick of a man

This announcement suggests he'll be gone before we can snag him for 2017 action.

• Like 1

In other news...he's available for RDP selection and I've yet to put in a team this year.

• Like 2

It'll serve the cunt right for wearing a wig on his head all these years.

• Like 1

Is there much sadness? Not a lot!

Is there much sadness? Not a lot!

On the contrary, there seems to be an outpouring of grief on Twitter - can't understand it, he might have been good at magic but he wasn't very good at not being a slimy letch.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Whenever I see Paul Daniels or Debbie I am reminded of that wonderful line from Mrs Merton

Around 57 seconds in if you find it too painful to watch the whole clip

Well the news bulletins are going on like he's already in his special box that will make him disappear in a puff of smoke. I don't reckon we'll get the chance to pick him for 2017.

At least Wogan got out with a bang. This seems like a slippery slope (or wipeout) into the grave....

Whenever I see Paul Daniels or Debbie I am reminded of that wonderful line from Mrs Merton

I think this is as good a place as any to have a bit of a rant about this whole "what first attracted you to multi-millionaire Paul Daniels" thing that gets trotted out ad infinitum whenever he is mentioned, or whenever two people with an age gap and a wealth gap get married these days. So here we go:

1) When they first met, Debbie had more money than he did (see her interview in the Telegraph a while back). He was preparing for his first major TV show at the age of 40 and had been a struggling entertainer for many years, so was nowhere near being a mllionaire or multi-millionaire. She was only 21 but had had a successful dancing career up to that point, including a stint in Tehran at the Iranian national ballet. She was a graduate of the Royal Ballet School, and is from a middle class family, so not short of money.

2) They got married 9 years after they met. So hardly like Kylie (just engaged to a 28yo she's known a few months) or Stephen Fry, or Catherine Zeta-Jones or hundreds of others.

3) They're still together after 28 years of marriage, and knowing each other for 37 years. Probably longer than 95% of showbiz marriages.

4) Caroline Aherne, denizen of many DDP teams (who was Mrs Merton and in 1995 did the show with McGee) had herself just got married to Peter Hook, bassist of New Order in 1994. Let's for the sake of argument, call him "famous multi-millionaire bassist" Peter Hook, and ask what first attracted her.

5) Caroline Aherne's marriage to Peter Hook ended in 1997, after 3 years. it is not known how much of his estate she took in the divorce.

So what is the point of this rant? I'm not entirely sure. I don't know either of them, perhaps they are both horrible unpleasant people. They said both the Mrs Merton show and the later Louis Theroux show gave them big career boosts. So it obviously doesn't bother them very much.

But it bothers me because the whole thing is just so ridiculous and factually wrong, and every time I see it on my computer screen in the comments sections I want to put my foot through the screen and send the bill to Caroline Aherne. Perhaps some people feel the same about whenever Captain Pugwash is mentioned, some smart arse comes along and says "haha snort snort did you know they had a character called Roger the Cabin Boy and another one called Seaman Staines snort snort just imagine eh lolz" when of course none of those characters were actually in the programme, it was made up later by someone having a laugh.

/end of rant.

• Like 13

I do like a well researched, well prepared and legibly presented rant. Quality.

• Like 1

I think this is as good a place as any to have a bit of a rant about this whole "what first attracted you to multi-millionaire Paul Daniels" thing that gets trotted out ad infinitum whenever he is mentioned, or whenever two people with an age gap and a wealth gap get married these days. So here we go:

1) When they first met, Debbie had more money than he did (see her interview in the Telegraph a while back). He was preparing for his first major TV show at the age of 40 and had been a struggling entertainer for many years, so was nowhere near being a mllionaire or multi-millionaire. She was only 21 but had had a successful dancing career up to that point, including a stint in Tehran at the Iranian national ballet. She was a graduate of the Royal Ballet School, and is from a middle class family, so not short of money.

2) They got married 9 years after they met. So hardly like Kylie (just engaged to a 28yo she's known a few months) or Stephen Fry, or Catherine Zeta-Jones or hundreds of others.

3) They're still together after 28 years of marriage, and knowing each other for 37 years. Probably longer than 95% of showbiz marriages.

4) Caroline Aherne, denizen of many DDP teams (who was Mrs Merton and in 1995 did the show with McGee) had herself just got married to Peter Hook, bassist of New Order in 1994. Let's for the sake of argument, call him "famous multi-millionaire bassist" Peter Hook, and ask what first attracted her.

5) Caroline Aherne's marriage to Peter Hook ended in 1997, after 3 years. it is not known how much of his estate she took in the divorce.

So what is the point of this rant? I'm not entirely sure. I don't know either of them, perhaps they are both horrible unpleasant people. They said both the Mrs Merton show and the later Louis Theroux show gave them big career boosts. So it obviously doesn't bother them very much.

But it bothers me because the whole thing is just so ridiculous and factually wrong, and every time I see it on my computer screen in the comments sections I want to put my foot through the screen and send the bill to Caroline Aherne. Perhaps some people feel the same about whenever Captain Pugwash is mentioned, some smart arse comes along and says "haha snort snort did you know they had a character called Roger the Cabin Boy and another one called Seaman Staines snort snort just imagine eh lolz" when of course none of those characters were actually in the programme, it was made up later by someone having a laugh.

/end of rant.

You are, of course, absolutely right. And I am guilty of such unfairness.

In a similar vein, I can't stand it when people slag off Ulrika Jonsson for having four kids by four dads. Rod Stewart has eight children by five different women, and doesn't get anywhere near the slating that Ulrika does. Mick Jagger has seven by four women. Whilst being known for prolific shagging, neither of them receive the nastiness and maliciousness that Ulrika does.

Sadly, as I'm a massive hypocrite, the unfairness of it probably won't stop me taking the piss out of anyone and everyone :D

For the record, I have two children and three cats by three different men. What a fucking slaaaaaaggggg!

• Like 9

/end of rant.

I may be wrong ;) but I'm fairly sure that the Mrs Merton show was a spoof. In other words, it was a joke.

That said, the line may well be "trotted out ..... whenever two people with an age gap and a wealth gap get married" - but often the accompanying derision is well deserved.

I do like a well researched, well prepared and legibly presented rant. Quality.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

I always thought Wpeout was quite good.

http://ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Wipeout

Great show. Enjoyed it more with Bob Monkhouse presenting though. He always seemed an odd choice...

Bob Monkhouse could make any pile of shit tv show into a great watch. He had the knack

• Like 1

/end of rant.

You are, of course, absolutely right. And I am guilty of such unfairness.

In a similar vein, I can't stand it when people slag off Ulrika Jonsson for having four kids by four dads. Rod Stewart has eight children by five different women, and doesn't get anywhere near the slating that Ulrika does. Mick Jagger has seven by four women. Whilst being known for prolific shagging, neither of them receive the nastiness and maliciousness that Ulrika does.

Sadly, as I'm a massive hypocrite, the unfairness of it probably won't stop me taking the piss out of anyone and everyone :D

For the record, I have two children and three cats by three different men. What a fucking slaaaaaaggggg!

Aye, a quality post to be savoured; it's an all round education hereabouts; people diss us at their peril.