themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

Thought I'd start this thread, inspired by a little exchange on the Ideas adn Possibilities thread...

I'll mention former PM Gough Whitlam to kick things off...

• Like 1

Is dead Granny Helen from Neighbours (The Drinking Game) still alive? Randy Charlene had the cancer and bouncer the dog has to be deeed by now surely?

ASIDE: We never made it beyond the first few rounds, Bruce, Randy Charlene, Dead Granny Helen and Bouncer the dog. "G'day Bruce! Say g'day to Bruce, Bruce" was often difficult enough half cut. I do likes a good drinking game. I just found out yesterday that they play vingt et un here too. Possibly my favourite.

Guest Grave Mistake

G'day Pommies, :P

Thanks for starting this thread based on that other info I gave you. Yes, Gough would definitely be my number one candidate based on Aussie political figures.

Bob Hawke is a possibility, due to long-time alcohol abuse. His ex-wife, Hazel, is in a bad way with Alzheimer's disease.

Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen's wife, Lady Flo, is ancient now (UK obit might be problematic but there would be huge media coverage here...)

The cute Tasmanian education minister, Paula Wriedt, had a total mental breakdown and tried to commit suicide last year, after it was revealed she was having an affair with her chauffeur (can I drive you today, Ms Wriedt?)

The really big death a few years ago, though, was the passing of Tasmanian premier and former trade union thug/leader, Jim Bacon, from lung cancer due to chain smoking. Come to think of it, his replacement, Paul Lennon, is an alcoholic as well, so he is also a possibility.

Harold Holt, another former PM, went missing after a swim one day and was never found. In the Cold War hysteria, the urban myth grew that he was kidnapped by a Chinese mini-sub and taken off to Beijing. :) Don't know if you have ever mentioned him in your MIA thread.

In terms of non-political figures, I don't think stuntman Robbie Maddison will live too many years (he is the bloke who did that motorcycle leap in Las Vegas the other week.)

Rob Bredl is another celebrity croc hunter, if you want a Steve Irwin double.

Barry Humphries (Dame Edna) isn't that young anymore...

In terms of Soapie stars, I am at a bit of a loss as I don't really watch them (can't stand them) but there is obviously Kylie with her cancer, Delta Goodrem with hers and I think there was one other. I know Belinda Emmett shuffled off her mortal coil a few years ago.

Other entertainers:

Burt Newton - growing old and a little dithery (he liked a drink in his younger days, too)

Don Lane (American who lived for many years in Australia and made his name out here in variety television) - very bad with Alzheimer's.

Jimmy Barnes (singer in the GREATEST rock band EVER, Cold Chisel) had major heart bypass surgery a few years ago after years of enormous alcohol and drug abuse. He claims to have kicked all of his habits now but damage must have been done. Put it this way, he would scull whole bottles of vodka on stage during Chisel concerts.

Two big rock deaths in recent years were that of Billy Thorpe (from 1960s band, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs), who had a heart attack, and Graeme "Shirley" Strachan (from 1970s glam rock band Skyhooks) who crashed his helicopter into Mount Kilcoy, near where I live. He was on his first solo flight, so I guess he failed his lesson... :rolleyes:

Well-known racing car driver, Marcus Ambrose, has gone over to NASCAR in America, so that will presumably reduce his life-expectancy if they have one of those big pile-ups where they all go sliding across the wall together... :rolleyes:

Rugby player Wally Lewis has had a high-profile battle with epilepsy.

I presume that there are many old cricketers still around. Most of Bradman's era have now passed away. You could always presume that the luck of Shane Warne or Andrew Symonds may run out one night, with one boozy shenanigan too many...

I will think of some more Australian possibilities later on. I am sure I can think of many more elderly Aussie celebs for you. Hope that this start helps you, anyway.

There's of course Sir Lenox Hewitt, Pa of Patricia, who's 92 and in failing health.

Was chairman of QANTAS in the 1970s...

Guest G

One that you English ladies and gents are all too familiar with, is of course, the venerable Mr Rolf Harris. He isn't getting any younger...

How does he look in terms of health these days?

Guest Grave Mistake

Rupert's Mum, Dame Elizabeth Murdoch, just turned 100. Mother or son could go...

Guest Grave Mistake

AFL footballer, Ben Cousins, has been "battling" drug addiction and doesn't seem too sincere or remorseful about it.. :)

Not sure if he will be around for long at his current rate.

There is currently a bikie war brewing after members of one gang bashed a member of another to death, in full view of everyone, at Sydney Airport the other day. Not long after that, the brother of the dead bikie was also gunned down. Not sure if any bikies are "famous" but more are sure to remove each other from our realm soon, despite a Government clamp-down.

Another soapie actress who died from a heroin overdose a few years ago is Megan Connelly of Paradise Beach "fame", if you can call starring in that dreck "fame".

Mel Gibson is half-Aussie - I wonder how he is going with his problems these days?

Nicole Kidman's husband, Keith Urban, is an NZ-born Aussie, who also had serious alcohol problems in the past.

Margaret Fulton, celebrity chef, is now very old.

Guest Grave Mistake

Vivian Gray, who played the notorious Mrs Mangel in Neighbours, may still be alive...

Seems like she was bullied out of the country!

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2008/02/neighb...mrs-mangel.html

Ian Smith, who played roly-poly Harold Bishop, may also be a contender.

Two that surprised me recently, because they were so healthy and spritely, are the elder statesman and woman of Australian acting, Terry Norris and his wife, Julia Blake. Very good for their age in this interview:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/talkingheads/txt/s2249100.htm

On the same program, there was an episode in which Jimmy Barnes talked about his health problems:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/talkingheads/txt/s2192425.htm

Count how many times he says "you know" in this interview:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s1218159.htm

That's what alcohol abuse can do to your brain, boys and girls... :)

Guest Grave Mistake
An Anglo-Aussie leftfield suggestion - 'Little' Stevie Wright of the Easybeats, who rivalled Keef for drugs and booze ingestion and topped it off with a dash of DST at Dr Bailey's notorious Chelmsford Private Hospital.

He still gigs but it's got to catch up with him one of these days.

They showed him on television one night. Quite disturbing to watch, as he had SEVERE permanent brain damage from his drug use. Could barely speak coherently and in need of virtually constant care. Not sure how he can do gigs - must be almost a self-parody. Actually, it is truly very sad.

Guest Grave Mistake

Walking in the shadow...

Young up-and-coming Aussie actress Rose Byrne (Sunshine, Troy, Goddess of 1967, I Capture the Castle and many other notable recent films) was a very good friend of the late Heath Ledger. They went over to Hollywood at about the same time and were into the same scene... Many photo shoots of them together are available on the internet. Possibility that she may follow him down or she may well have been scared sensible after his demise. Could go either way...

Steve Irwin's daughter, Bindi, may possibly be worked to death by her exploitive mum. Bindi's next project his her first feature film role... The mum, Terri Irwin, also recently had a feud with Steve's Dad. Steve's dad has been kicked off the Australian Zoo premises and can no longer see his grandchildren. He has stated that he intends to spend his remaining days out of the public spotlight, setting up a new wildlife reserve on his private property, closer to Steve's original vision...

I am waiting until Bindi turns 16, rebels and turns into another Lindsay Lohan. :)

G'Day all.

We can't forget the following...

Lou Richards (86) - former AFL footballer and TV presenter, suffered a rather nasty fall a while back.

Bud Tingwell (92) - Brilliant Australian Actor, but getting on a bit though.

Richard Pratt (74) - Billionaire and former president of Carlton Footy Club.

Nancy Wake (96) - The White Mouse - New Zealander claimed as Australian. (as we so often do)

Betty Cuthbert (70) - Olympian.

Geoffrey Blainey (79) - Esteemed, though somewhat controversial, Historian.

Mark "Chopper" Read (54) - Ex-convict, apparently he only has a few years left in the tank.

Dr. Peter Hollingworth (73) - Anglican Priest & Ex-Governor-General, HURRY UP and met your maker!

Nikki Webster (21) - If nobody else does, I will.

The slow and prolonged act of dying by the Chanel 9 network.

Here is my list of 10. I know most of my sources are from Wiki and in my line of work it's taboo to use Wiki, but I like using the link function and figure that on an online forum you can generally get way with it.

• Like 1

Guest Deke Sauvage.

There's also John Campbell Ross who, at 110, is Australia's last surviving WW1 veteran.

Guest Grave Mistake

G'day Body Snatcher,

Nice to know another Australian is on here! Yes, Lou Richards would be a great one. Wasn't that complete PITA Sam Newman also suffering some serious health problems?

Channel 9 - and all commercial television stations - should definitely just hurry up and die. They won't be mourned in my household. :unsure:

A few more:

Television vet Dr Harry Cooper has prostate cancer.

Mark Latham quit politics supposedly due to life-threatening pancreatis...

John Jarratt, a well-known actor who has appeared in many shows and films, suffers from chronic alcoholism. His wife, another minor celebrity, named Noni Hazelhurst, left him because of his boozing.

Then there is this woman...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/05/2535192.htm

Even if she has the world record, she can't go on forever. One day there will be a power blackout...

Guest Grave Mistake

By the way, I like Peter Hollingworth - Agree that he should never have been made Governor-General though but was sad at how he became a media target. Far worse could have happened, though - Imagine Jensen or Pell in the position of GG...

Another old one:

Dawn Fraser - Olympic swimmer, born 1937.

Ron Clarke - Champion runner and mayor of Gold Coast, has had health problems, born 1937.

Ted Egan - born 1932 - folk singer, Northern Territory administrator, travel show host.

Fred Nile - born 1934 - ultra-conservative, far-right, "Christian" extremist, anti-homosexual campaigner, anti-topless sunbathing campaigner, general wowser and former Vietnam War soldier, is growing more senile every day...

Bruce Ruxton - born 1926 - head of Victorian branch of Returned Services League and former soldier - another far right-wing, racist, doddery old ranter who just won't die...

John Howard - born 1939 - Prime Minister and the most vile, warmongering, racist person Australia ever produced. Friend of "W." Still could be target for assassination.

Guest Grave Mistake

Peter Cundall - born 1927 - former gardening show host, Communist Party politician, environmentalist, humanist and Order of Australia recipient.

John Laws - born 1935 - failed country singer, richest radio announcer in Australia, talkback "shock jock" and over-opinionated idiot.

Derryn Hinch - born 1944 - another radio "shock jock" (we breed that kind of pestilence in this country) - who has advanced cirrhosis of the liver and INOPERABLE LIVER CANCER (announced in August 2007) probably related to alcoholism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derryn_Hinch

Sound like a certainty for this year or next? :unsure:

Alan Jones - born 1941 - has had recent operations for prostate cancer and a benign brain tumour - radio talkback shock jock, former rugby coach, political speechwriter and closet homosexual (open secret known by every Australian!)

Chris Chugg - former bodybuilding champion and head of weightlifting in Tasmania - known to have taken steroids and encouraged his proteges to use illegal substances. Substances might catch up with his heart sooner or later...

Guest Grave Mistake

Some Australians with alleged cocaine habits:

Naomi Robson - television host

Gary Sweet - actor

Tania Zaetta - model

Elle MacPherson - model

Truth of these allegations is unclear. Readily available information on internet is that both Robson and McPherson also dated cocaine suppliers and that Gary Sweet was caught up in raid on supplier's house. Minor celebrities lead such sordid lives... :unsure:

Guest Grave Mistake

Early rock-'n'-roller, Col Joye, was born in 1936. He suffered brain damage after falling from a tree in 1990. He eventually recovered to the point where he could perform again by 1998 but I don't know what ongoing health problems he may still have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Col_Joye

Guest Grave Mistake

Wayne Carey - former AFL footballer - drug abuse and all kinds of personal problems, including assaulting police. Deeply troubled.

Gary Ablett - another very screwed-up retired footballer who has confessed to severe drug problems.

Caught up in a drug raid on his house were also former footballer Wayne Johnston and his wife Kate Kendall (actress from television show Stingers) who are allegedly drug addicts. Also, Tottie Goldsmith.

Guest Grave Mistake

Germaine Greer - born 1939 - angry feminist. Has had a few close calls over the years.

John-Michael Howson - born 1936 - Hollywood gossip columnist, writer of musicals, homosexual activist. Starting to age quite significantly.

Jeannie Little - couldn't find age on the internet but she must be getting old. She always looks skeletal but that is probably just her metabolism.

Peter Russell-Clarke - I had forgotten about him! How old is he? No age on the internet but according to web he sometimes gives out recipes on Triple J radio. Anyone heard him? Does he sound in good health?

Lillian Frank - late 1930s??? - socialite, hairdresser and charity fundraiser.

Guest Grave Mistake

Last ones for today...

Mike Walsh - 1938 - television talk show host.

Geoff Harvey - 1930s??? - band leader on aforementioned television show.

Casey Stoner - born 1985 - World Motorcycle Grand Prix Champion (luck may run out).

Tony Barber - 1938 - game show host.

Dame Joan Sutherland - born 1926 - opera singer.

Barry Crocker - born 1935 - crooner.

Ugly Dave Gray - born 1933 - English-born Australian comedian.

Stuart Wagstaff - born 1925 - English-born very fine Australian actor.

Adriana Xenides - born 1956 - game show hostess who had very public battle with depression and fall from grace. Claims to have some kind of weird digestive disorder according to Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriana_Xenides

"Bloats her abdomen to that of a nine-month pregnant woman?" :unsure:

Susie Maroney - born 1974 - marathon swimmer. Had nervous breakdown due to strain of competition, media scrutiny, overbearing mother and sudden death of brother in balcony fall. Not sure of the state of her mental health now.

Guest Grave Mistake

Just... a few... more...

Ian "Molly" Meldrum - 1946 - music reviewer and television personality. Reputation for having tried every drug under the sun.

Natalie Imburglia - 1975 - another talentless "pop sensation" reputed to have a habit of doing hard drugs.

Edward Clancy - 1923 - Australian Roman Catholic Cardinal.

Edward Cassidy - 1924 - Another Australian Roman Catholic Cardinal. Reputed to have been very ill about six months ago. Current state of health unknown.

Lyall Bevan - late 1920s/early 1930s - Australian baritone opera singer; known to have prostate cancer.

Andrew McDonald - field hockey development coach and well known player in the National Hockey League, Tasmanian Institute of Sport figure - known to have ongoing psychiatric issues.

Colleen McCullough - born 1937 - minor Australian author. Ongoing health issues.

Thomas Kenneally - born 1935 - overrated author and annoying little garden gnome.

Les Murray - born 1938 - nationalistic poet and ranter.

Clive James - born 1939 - conservative cultural commentator.

Peter Renshaw - highly eccentric educationalist from University of Queensland. Peter Renshaw is partially responsible for ruining the State's education system. Very dithery of late.

Ray Misson - incredibly arrogant academic who messed up the teaching of English in Australia. Ray Misson's post-structuralist experiments, adopted in every State, have led to two generations of illiterate schoolchildren entering the workforce.

Raelene Boyle - born 1951 - had breast cancer at one stage. How is her health now?

Ian McNamara - "Macca" on Australia All Over radio show. Must be ancient now... Looks like a shrivelled up goanna on the cover of one of his books I saw in a shop. Is anyone able to find his date of birth?

Gustav Nossal - born 1931 - research biologist.

Marcus Einfeld - born 1938 - Supreme Court Judge who was recently given a two-year jail term for perjury, after lying about a speeding fine (said that his long-dead friend was driving the car.) How long will he last in jail?

Sir Jack Brabham - born 1926 - Formula 1 Champion and racing car designer.

Rod Laver - born 1938 - champion tennis player.

John Landy - born 1930 - greatest athlete in Australia's history (in my humble opinion.)

Richie Benaud - born 1930 - cricket player commentator. Seems to never age. Is he Australia's answer to your Clive Dunn??? :unsure:

Guest Grave Mistake

Yet more quality contenders:

Bart Cummings - born 1927 - most famous and successful horse trainer in Australian history.

Alan Bond - born 1938 - infamous corrupt businessman and convicted criminal.

Renee Geyer - born 1951 - soul singer who could have had massive international career but fell into huge amount of substance abuse in the 1970s and 1980s. Really was the Amy Winehouse of her day. Apparently clean now but, like some of the others I have listed, it must have shortened her lifespan somewhat, I would presume.

Dick Smith - born 1944 - entrepreneur, aviation guru and all-round annoying, supercilious git... :unsure: Still flies his helicopter everywhere - surely his luck will run out one of these days and he'll crash the bloody thing...

Bob Jane - born 1929 - racing car driver and founder of tyre retail chain. Both he and his wife are rather unpleasant people, based on all accounts. Here is an example:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/19/2469320.htm

Some on the internet say it was a lavender marriage, anyway... ;)

Allan Moffatt - born 1939 - one of the older racing car drivers from the heyday of Bathurst.

Ron Hamence - born 1915 - oldest living test cricketer and member of the Invincibles.

Neil Harvey - born 1922 - famous cricketer and member of the Invincibles.

Arthur Morris - born 1922 - famous cricketer and member of the Invincibles.