Mr Stats

World's Oldest

Hi Catherine

Sad to see that Kamato Hongo, the world's oldest person died last week at 116

Mr Stats

• Like 2

Guest Bigarse

All these 90+'s is cheating in my opinion. We have an annual competition where w have to pick a number of people to die in the following 12 months..BUT...points are scored based on distance from 100. This was introduced to stop people keep picking the queen mum

I think the success of the tipping on this site should be based on this factor!!

Thanks for your contribution Big - this is a much discussed subject amongst the DeathList committee.

The overiding objective of DeathList has always been to get the greatest number of deaths even though it is always more pleasing to pick a younger death. All things being equal we'll pick the younger candidate but experience shows that the younger celebs are prety tough to pick off. No doubt the debate will continue.

• Like 1

In no way do we pretend to be the best death list, the most successful death list or the definitive word in death lists. It's just our death list and this is how we do it.

Success is measured against how we did it in previous years and for ease of comparison we try to do it the same way each year. i.e. we meet in the pub, argue a lot and then the Grim Reaper goes home and mis-types up the results

I'm happy with that format anyway. Viva the Death List - long may it prosper.

• Like 2

Calm down Stats - a valid point is made - even if a little enthusiastically

And anyway - who said this wasnt the best DeathList?? A 28% success rate this year from a field of 50 is a world class performance - particulalry with the restrictions we have on fame and repeats from previous year.

When you fancy churning out some stats how about average age of those on the list each year. I suspect the age has increased over the years - although youngsters like Barry Sheene and Warren Zevon may have bucked that trend this year.

• Like 2

Guest obnob

After a lot of research I have noticed that the oldest man and woman at the begining of the year regulary die at the aproximatly 114.

This year they are Charlotte Benker and Joan Riudavets

I would just like it noted that I have nominated these people but due to Death List criteria (Being famous for probably dieing they did not make the list.

Guest Guest

Yes this years list the youngest contenders are Mr Ian Brady aged 66, and General Pervez Musharraf aged 62. I believe I'm correct in saying the rest bar about 2 are over 80, and one of 70 year old is 79.

Perhaps it's more of an achievement to either pick them at over 100 or below 65 or pension age.

The problem with picking people under 65 is that not many of them die. Well not that you could predict anyway.

Obviously Paul Burrell would have been able to help us with the Princess Di call but apart from that our team of psychics have not come up with the goods - I don't believe we're going to renew their contracts next year, wasters.

It's hard enough as it is without any age restrictions - we were a bit jammy in 2003 and I can't see that level of success being repeated.

Mr Stats

Yes, I know, it probably isn't in the spirit of DeathList, but I do think that a place should be put by in the years 50 favourites for the oldest man in the world. It seems to be a bit of a poisoned challis - one minute your the the worlds oldest man, next your the worlds youngest corpse. The worlds oldest man at the end of last year when this list was published was an aged Spanish fellow who lasted until 3 weeks ago. He had inherited the title from a Japanese who had given-up the ghost in September. I know it's a bit of an obvious choice, but at least it would just about guarantee a score in the first quarter of the season. Perhaps he who holds the title on the 31st December should take the final spot on the board ahead of Clive Dunn, who quite obviously will become the worlds oldest man eventually!

DWB :D

DWB, I had to look up this guy just to find out how old he actually was - surely a key fact in any evaluation process. Not hard though with the "world's oldest man" keywords :D

"A retired Spanish shoemaker who was officially the world's oldest man has died at his home at the age of 114, his family said on Saturday."

Corr blimey at 114, I bet his skin was like one ultra nice, super comfort, leather hush puppie.

A fair point though, perhaps we should include one next year.

The Japanese bloke who was the world's oldest man until September 2003 also died aged 114 and in the same village, Kyushu, lives the world's oldest woman, or world's oldest person if you like. Kamato Hongo is 116 years old. I will do more research to see if she has pegged-out since the report I am reading was published.

This research thing has turned-up a whole host of problems - due mainly to the fact old people who can't prove their age keep popping-up (and then popping-off) in the strangest of places. See the quote below:

A woman aged at least 124 years old has been found in the war-torn republic of Chechnya. Zabani Khachukayeva’s passport states that she is 124 years old, however doctors believe that she may be even older. Apart from having impaired hearing, she is in relatively good health and says that she still feels energetic. Khachukayeva has outlived her eldest son, who died in 2001, and has 24 grandchildren, 38 great-grandchildren, and 7 great great grandchildren. Until Ms Khachukayeva was found, the title of the world’s oldest living person was held by 113 year old Japanese silkworm breeder Yukichi Chuganji. 

I think I will leave it at that.

Sounds like they (or her) don't really know though. How can they possibly know that she is 124 or older? It could be a deliberate red herring to stop you dead in your research tracks. Stick to well documented cases that have sound google linkage/backup.

I will get to the bottom of this. The following link from the reliable old beeb reports the death of the previous mentioned Japanese lady, aged 116, and also of her successor, another Japanese who then immediately died aged 113. The holder of world's oldest person seems to be with a 113 year old American lady now. Read on...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3268151.stm

Other, unsubstantiated reports of people living to huge ages still persist, but the rule of thumb seems to be that the Guinness Book of Records needs to ratify their age before they can claim the crown (and then drop dead).

So, I will stand by my suggestion to the ruling board, that the world's oldest person or man/woman should be included in the yearly list. You know it makes sense!

Gentlemen

We have already discussed this topic to death over the last few months.

Fame has to be real fame and not a statistical event. The world's oldest people do not count as being famous simply becuase they are old.

We get enough flack for the quality of our celebs as it is. Now give it a rest

Mr Stats

In order to test the "famous not just for being old" rule, I put the following candidate to the board - just to see if he qualifies.

Johannes Heesters is the world's oldest actor (still working), who turned 100 in December 2003 - he appears in the DeathList approved Wikipedia and I am sure in Europe he is the equivalent of John Mills or something - just because you or I haven't heard of him, doesn't mean he isn't famous does it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Heesters

So what do you think?

DWB ;)

Whilst researching this one, I note that old Phyllis has 8 books entitled "Secret of the..." and 10 entitled "Mystery of the..." in the juvenile mysteries section, out of a total of 20 titles. Apart from the Vanashing Scarecrow and the Island of Dark Woods, they are all pretty similar. Although, I note that she later decided to firmly address this situation in 1967, re-issuing Dark Woods as Mystery of the Strange Traveller, leaving just one, breaking the naming conventions. Perhaps book naming is covered in her 1976 title, "Writing Juvenile Stories and Novels." I might see if I can get a copy out from the library.

And what about this guy?

And Ï know that the nominee must be famous for reasons other than the fact they are likely to die, but I think this list is very interesting...

Frenzy - a list of old people - you had better hope that Mr. Stats doesn't catch you with that!

DWB :ph34r:

They're all bloody Yanks, apart from our Gladys Hawley and Mary Ellen Swan. Go girls! Imagine that, living since 1891 - that really is quite mad.

• Like 1

I note that Ramona Trinidad Iglesias Jordan died, aged 114, in Puerto Rico on Saturday.

According to the Independent today: "Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper, born on 29 June 1890 in Hoogeveen, enjoys the traditional Dutch specialty [sic] of pickled herring every day and the occasional alcoholic drink." This makes her, according to the indie, the world's oldest person at 113.

Note to self: eat more herring.

The Guardian yesterday had her as the worlds oldest person at 114. Always first with the news The Guardian :unsure:

Frankly, unless im imagining things, the worlds oldest person has died about 6 times already this year - the case for not allowing these people is strengthened.

However next year's entry for Derby Dead Pool should clearly include the 20 oldest people in the world - we'd be unbeatable.

Have any of you noticed that there are very few people over 100 dying? :)