So what happened to his mystical powers?

Probably consumed at the same time as the biscuit :party:

Kudos to both Suharto, for finally carking it, and Deathlist, for seeing its second hit of the year! If the first month is any implication, Deathlist is off to a good year.

It's been so anticipative I don't even care. It's the same exact feeling you get when you want something and never get it 'and then out of nowhere'; 'there it is' and you say 'where were you when I needed you? Timing in life ladies and gentleman means more then the action itself. Suharto 'I return the respect for his generosity' is now suddenly not the greatest tease in Deathlist history on result of his death from multiple organ failure - but from my knowledge he is the only candidate to have his heart jump start.

Kudos to both Suharto, for finally carking it, and Deathlist, for seeing its second hit of the year! If the first month is any implication, Deathlist is off to a good year.

Kudos to Deathlist?!

You mean, well done to DL for picking an 87 year old Bastard whos actually been dead for the last year or so anyway?

Kudos? No

Bone Idle? Yes

Kudos to Deathlist?!

You mean, well done to DL for picking an 87 year old Bastard whos actually been dead for the last year or so anyway?

Kudos? No

Bone Idle? Yes

If DL picks people who are old, sick and die, people complain that easy targets are being picked. If DL picks people who are youthful, healthy and don't die, people complain that the DL sucks because it's not getting hits. If people are going to whine no matter what happens, might as well be successful in one's chosen endeavour. Or, as Rick Nelson put it, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"

I agree, 2007 was a bit of a failure (but we had a good summer). But yeah, at this rate, we'll have 20 deaths if two a month is the standard... things aren't that predictable though.

Kudos to Deathlist?!

Kudos? No

Bone Idle? Yes

If DL picks people who are old, sick and die, people complain that easy targets are being picked. If DL picks people who are youthful, healthy and don't die, people complain that the DL sucks because it's not getting hits. If people are going to whine no matter what happens, might as well be successful in one's chosen endeavour. Or, as Rick Nelson put it, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"

I see no problem in having Suharto on the list, ok so he was old, frail and had numerous medical conditions. But he's gone before some who are 20 years older than him.

Also look at Ariel Sharon, he's still with us.

LFN who should be on the list in your opinion?

Kudos to Deathlist?!

Kudos? No

Bone Idle? Yes

I'm content with hits as long as they have a decent amount of fame, regardless of age. Suharto easily passes that test.

Suharto's body on display in Jakarta

printable versionbigger textsmaller text

The President of Indonesia has paid his respects at the coffin of the former leader Suharto, who has died at the age of 86. Officials say the former president died of multiple organ failure after being hospitalised in Jakarta three weeks ago.

Suharto's legacy of boosting economic development was marred by accusations of corruption and human rights abuses during his 32 years in office. The head of a group of NGOs that fight for victims rights says past abuses have to be addressed. Usman Hamid said: "There are many people, thousands of people, who lost their parents, who lost their fathers, their mothers, their sons, and I think they need justice."

Suharto's body is to be taken to Java's royal city of Solo on Monday for a funeral at the family's mausoleum.

http://www.euronews.net/images_news/W300px...oir-suharto.jpg

http://www.euronews.net/index.php?page=inf...66887&lng=1

CP, I dont doubt what you say, yes you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

The point I was alluding to, tongue somewhat in cheek, was that, despite many good solid suggestions for the 2008 DL, the usual tired old fossils have been wheeled out.

Phantom, as you know, a few names were bandied about last year, people quite a bit younger and somewhat closer to their maker than they ought to be. A suicidal Britney, Amy "Crackhouse" Winehouse, Lindsey unstable Lohan were just three names that COULD have been thrown into the melting pot. It wouldnt have hurt, it would have covered all bases and made the whole point of DL, perhaps more relevent, a sort of social commentary, if you like.

So far, we aint even out of January and two picks already, two very old, tired men.

The thing is, its all a bit safe, DL, and, God im no expert on the subject, seems to be a little bit stuck in the 80s. With a cosmopolitan patronage should come a more cosmopolitan DL, a tad more youthful, a tad more relevent to the younger DL'er.

Think of it as a kind of loss leader, like the supermarkets have, some names to get new blood through the door of Deathlist 2008.

Just my opinion.

Here's another legacy of Suharto that many people forget:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/843300.stm

'Crony capitalism'

One of the authors, Dr Charles Barber, said: "Current Indonesian forest policies have provided powerful legal incentives for 'cut-and-run' resource extraction.

"They have failed to create effective mechanisms for enforcing even minimum standards of forest resource stewardship."

The report says former premier Suharto's malpractices were perpetuated "by a corrupt culture of 'crony capitalism' that elevated personal profit over public interest, the environment, or the rule of law." During the 32 years of President Suharto's rule, WRI says, Indonesia lost at least 40 million hectares of forest, an area the size of Germany and the Netherlands together.

"Much of these forests were granted as timber concessions to Suharto's cronies, his family, and to ill-fated government projects like the failed effort to convert 1m ha of peat swamp forests in central Kalimantan into rice fields. "In the 1990s, oil palm and timber plantations replaced additional millions of hectares of forests. Illegal logging has become prevalent, accounting for an estimated half of the annual production of timber."

suharto rainforest - Google Search

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/843300.stm

BBC News | SCI/TECH | Indonesia's fires 'Suharto's legacy'

http://rainforests.mongabay.com/20indonesia.htm

Indonesia: Environmental Profile

http://www.orangutan.com/orangutans_avoid.html

The Orangutan Conservancy: Orangutans & the Rainforest: Items to Avoid

http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive...ut-suharto.html

Just so that we are all clear about Suharto : Singabloodypore

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...22/ai_n12705805

Activists take fight to save Indonesian rainforests to Tilbury | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET.com

Guest Guest

JUST THOUGHT i'D REASSURE THOSE WORRIED that even now Suharto might make a miraculous recovery that he is now dead and buried .

Guest Guest_dave_*
Catros, we've been here before; several times with Iain. To be fair, these politicos often have a durability in the final stages that amazes. Ted Heath for one hung on longer than many expected. We could amuse ourselves with an unofficial Deathrace; Foot vs Haughy vs Suharto vs Ford. I reckon Ford will finish off the podium.

Haughy

Suharto

Foot

Ford

Just a guess on a slow day at work, mind.

Just Michael Foot to go then...

CP, I dont doubt what you say, yes you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

The point I was alluding to, tongue somewhat in cheek, was that, despite many good solid suggestions for the 2008 DL, the usual tired old fossils have been wheeled out.

Phantom, as you know, a few names were bandied about last year, people quite a bit younger and somewhat closer to their maker than they ought to be. A suicidal Britney, Amy "Crackhouse" Winehouse, Lindsey unstable Lohan were just three names that COULD have been thrown into the melting pot. It wouldnt have hurt, it would have covered all bases and made the whole point of DL, perhaps more relevent, a sort of social commentary, if you like.

So far, we aint even out of January and two picks already, two very old, tired men.

The thing is, its all a bit safe, DL, and, God im no expert on the subject, seems to be a little bit stuck in the 80s. With a cosmopolitan patronage should come a more cosmopolitan DL, a tad more youthful, a tad more relevent to the younger DL'er.

Think of it as a kind of loss leader, like the supermarkets have, some names to get new blood through the door of Deathlist 2008.

Just my opinion.

LFN, the names you mentioned and many other youngsters were discussed at the committee meeting. In the end, though, the focus remained on those most likely to die. So, despite predictions of Britney entering her last six months, and just three for Amy (from no less an authority than her husband, according to today's Metro), we went with the old and infirm.

The best way to make your point on fresh and fun selections is to include them in a DDP team, then gloat when they come in. As for DL 2008, we're off to a decent start.

JUST THOUGHT i'D REASSURE THOSE WORRIED that even now Suharto might make a miraculous recovery that he is now dead and buried .

Halibuts sure bury their dead very quickly, Bhutto was also buried like a day or two after her death. It can take a week before a former US president is in the ground.

Guest muslim man
Halibuts sure bury their dead very quickly, Bhutto was also buried like a day or two after her death. It can take a week before a former US president is in the ground.

What an amazingly ignorant comment. Well, yes, of course, they do - it's down to their beliefs & religion. Dodi was buried the same way without fuss. Probably the best way so there's no circus act like Diana's. :rolleyes:

Well if he really has sepsis then I would give him only another two weeks.

well, as I said no hope for the old man!

What an amazingly ignorant comment. Well, yes, of course, they do - it's down to their beliefs & religion. Dodi was buried the same way without fuss. Probably the best way so there's no circus act like Diana's. :sicktherm:

I was aware of the religious reasons, I was just making an observation at how quickly they bury their dead as opposed to how long it takes to bury major political figures in the west, it seems that we have alot more ceremony or at least dragged out for so much longer.

The last three US Presidnents from death to burial was five days for Nixon, six days for Reagan and eight days for Ford.

Guest Eda Dwiputri

my grandfather :wheelchair: :wheelchair: :wheelchair:

HUEEEEENG :banghead::rant::shoot::shoot2::xbones::ghost4::ghost2::devil:

my grandfather :wheelchair: :wheelchair: :wheelchair:

Selamat datang di DeathList.

HUEEEEENG :banghead::rant::shoot::shoot2::xbones::ghost4::ghost2::devil:

Sorry, my Bahasa Indonesia isn't good enough to understand that. Could you say it in English?

regards,

Hein

Shouldn't Suharto be marked down as being dead?

Edited by Magere Hein
Done

Can't believe I didn't choose him. He lives about 10 minutes drive from me, and I saw him in the supermarket a couple of years ago, and even then he needed help picking up the mangoes.