Sign in to follow this  
Guest James

Max Schmeling

Guest One Man Jury
He was definitely not a nazi... no need for speculation here, just have a look at the historical facts.

It's okay for me to make jokes about germans, but people should try to be fair.

So, El Loco, are you the guardian of the Nazi party membership list? If not, you make pretty big omniscient claims.

How can you say, one way or the other, that Max was either a member or not?

Also, what makes it OK for you to make jokes about Germans? Did they bomb your chipshop?

Whay can't we just all get along...........

No, I'm not the guardian of the Nazi party membership list... but that's not the point. I wanted to express, that Max rejected the sick ideas of nazi regime.

I understand he even saved the lifes of 2 jews and always remained a good friend of joe louis. So, to put in a nutshell I think he was a good guy... unfortunately germany didn't have more men like him that time.

Speaking about making jokes about german:

I'm german (at least 50%) and I see that other germans get mortally offended when british press media writes something like "Let's blitz the Krauts" for example.

I simply think that's a pretty exaggerated reaction to a tiny side blow and shouldn't cause endless discussions. So stay cool.

You might be interested in the following sites:

Using the Altavista search engine, I came across the following:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/fight/peoplee..._schmeling.html

This site holds a picture of Max Schmeling, Adoph Hitler and Eva Braun. Some interesting narrative about what Schmeling told the US press about Hitler’s Germany.

Again, in Altavista, search for

hitler + schmeling + photo

The first site listed is “image search results for hitler schmeling”. Have a look in that site and there is a very pally photo of Herr Hitler and Herr Schmeling together.

Whatever Max's supporters may say, it looked as though he stood up to Hitler (as well as sucked up to him too).

Well said Terminator!

Proof to some of the contributors here that "apologists" can be interpreted in more than one way.

Watch out though or you'll have wacky Comrade kommunist after you.

Hi!

Claus Schenck Graf von Stauffenberg is also shown together with Hitler on many pictures.

But Claus Schenck Graf von Stauffenberg was the leading figure of the german resistance against Hitler. He ignited the bomb that nearly killed Hitler in 1944.

But the bomb only hurt Hitlers arm and killed some other nazis.

So: Not everyone who is shown together with Hitler on a picture is a nazi! Some of them even tried to kill him!

Greetings from Germany

Rockabilly

What rubbish this is.

Stauffenberg and his collaborators were more than happy when Germany seemed to be winning the war (up to about 1943) and were not inclined to lift a finger against the Nazi regime. In fact, they prospered under it.

It was only after Stalingrad that they saw that the war would be lost and decided to try to kill Hitler and so save their own miserable necks and Prussian estates.

Also, Staffenberg and his pals only wanted to make peace with the West and not with Stalin so the war would not have ended then anyway, even if the West had agreed to a separate peace (which they wouldn't have).

It's funny really that the Germans of today seem to think that everyone living in the country between 1933 and 1945 was against Hitler. The same clowns who still go on and on about Geoff Hurst's 1966 World Cup Final goal not being a goal.

What rubbish this is.

Stauffenberg and his collaborators were more than happy when Germany seemed to be winning the war (up to about 1943) and were not inclined to lift a finger against the Nazi regime. In fact, they prospered under it.

It was only after Stalingrad that they saw that the war would be lost and decided to try to kill Hitler and so save their own miserable necks and Prussian estates.

Also, Staffenberg and his pals only wanted to make peace with the West and not with Stalin so the war would not have ended then anyway, even if the West had agreed to a separate peace (which they wouldn't have).

It's funny really that the Germans of today seem to think that everyone living in the country between 1933 and 1945 was against Hitler. The same clowns who still go on and on about Geoff Hurst's 1966 World Cup Final goal not being a goal.

That might be a little strong for our Deutscher revisionists to swallow......

What rubbish this is.

You are obviousliy suffering acute mental flatulences!

You must be from England!

This superb connection of stupidity and arrogance is typical for all of you Insel-Affen.

First you defame Schmeling then you defame Stauffenberg.

How will you defame Georg Elsner, the man who ignited a bomb to kill Hitler in November 1933?

Oh....I`ve forgotten that you`re from England. Probably you never heard of him!

Guys like you only know people who who did NOT score goals !

:D

acute mental flatulences!

I don't think that's a phrase we have in England. It's a good one though, I might use it. :D

Guest One Man Jury
What rubbish this is.

You are obviousliy suffering acute mental flatulences!

You must be from England!

This superb connection of stupidity and arrogance is typical for all of you Insel-Affen.

First you defame Schmeling then you defame Stauffenberg.

How will you defame Georg Elsner, the man who ignited a bomb to kill Hitler in November 1933?

:pop:

Oh, I've heard of Elsner. He another one who planted a bomb in Munich and ran away!

There is a certain trend emerging here, don't you think?

Obvously the ramblings of a demented individual.....

We have a well known expression for incompetence in this land of enlightenment. It's"(he/she/they) couldn't organise a p*ss-up in a brewery."

I suppose the Germanic/Teutonic version is "Couldn't organise a detonation in a brewery" as an expression of incompetence.

(In case you didn't know, Rockabilly. Elsner attempted to kill Hitler in the Munich brewery "Bürgerbräukeller".)

It's always Germans and beer (or there's a brewery involved).

The way I see it, Elsner was a bumbling alcoholic, whose focus was on the sauce and not on the detonation.

I will not enter the football debate as it's pointless debating with a sore loser.

Guest Sergi
One Man Jury 

Posted: Feb 16 2005, 12:49 PM

Oh, I've heard of Elsner. He another one who planted a bomb in Munich and ran away! 

Running away?

You mean running away like the British Soldiers in WW I and WWII (for example in Dünkirchen) until the Americans and Russians disburdened them?

Oh yes! The British are real experts in running away!

First I have to correct one thing: Elsner certainly ignited the Bomb in 1939 and not in 1933.

But now to your statement, One Man Jury:

You`re absolutely right!:

Germans usually run away when they ignite a bomb.

Certainly a Brit probably would wait right beside the bomb - just to be shure that it really explodes! :pop:

Obvously the ramblings of a demented individual.....

We have a well known expression for incompetence in this land of enlightenment. It's"(he/she/they) couldn't organise a p*ss-up in a brewery."

I suppose the Germanic/Teutonic version is "Couldn't organise a detonation in a brewery" as an expression of incompetence.

(In case you didn't know, Rockabilly. Elsner attempted to kill Hitler in the Munich brewery "Bürgerbräukeller".)

It's always Germans and beer (or there's a brewery involved).

The way I see it, Elsner was a bumbling alcoholic, whose focus was on the sauce and not on the detonation.

I will not enter the football debate as it's pointless debating with a sore loser.

At least we have beer in Germany!

In England you don`t need a bomb to kill someone in a brewery or in a pub: Just let him drink some of the so called english "beer" and he will pass away within seconds! :pop:

Or at least he will loose all of his brain cells :(

By the way: You`re the best example for this second alternative

What has all this crap got to do with the late great Max Schmeling? Absolutely nothing.

Let me see:

Germanys football sucesses:

World champion in 1954

World champion in 1974

World champion in 1990

European champion in 1972

European champion in 1980

European champion in 1996

And now to Englands football sucesses:

World champion in 1966 (Wembley-swindle!)

Second world champion-title of 1966 (in the parallel-universe)

World champion 6 years after 1960

World champion 4 years before 1970

World champion 66 years after the beginning of the 20th century

World champions 34 years before the beginning of the 21th century

World champion in 2004 (if championships would have taken place in 2004)

Result:

I have to beg your pardon: England is the best football team of the world!!

Rockabilly, through this thread I have learnt more about Max Schmeling's achievments, both inside and outside the boxing ring, than I probably would have done anywhere else, and my admiration for him has grown as I have read.

From you however, I have learnt that the English are basically brain-dead, ill-educated cowards who drink bad beer. Oh, and of course, the English are not very good at football. The Germans are by implication, intelligent, well educated, brave, drink the best beer in the world, and are the best at football.

Few countries can look back on the 20th century with complete pride, but I think the English have a better case than Germany. Except of course on the football pitch, well done Germany.

Greetings from France.

Schmeling was the No.1 sportsman in Germany at this time. How shoud he avoid to meet Hitler? Please tell me: What should he have done to show his dislike of Hitler? Hitting an Uppercut in Hitlers face when Hitler met him?

By the way: At first not only Schmeling had no problems with Hitler. Many Germans didn`t see Problems  - that`s why they elected the NSDAP. Most Germans didn`t know an realize what maniac Hitler was when they elected the NSDAP in 1933. How should they know? At that time Hitler didn`t kill one single jew. Do you think that every elector of the NSDAP read "Mein Kampf"?

Fritz Lang was born in Austria - that`s right - but later acquired the German citizenship  - like Hitler!  In 1935 he acquired the American citizenship. So call him what you want: Austrian, German, American - it doesn?t bother. Fact is that he made Films in Germany and that he was jewish. Half-jewish or jewish didn`t make much difference in the 3rd Reich.

In 1933 the NSDAP was elected with 43,9 %.  This was before the first concentration camp was erected.

I didn`t say that Schmeling loved Hitlers Germany, I said that he loved Germany - that`s a little but fine difference, my friend.

Did the Americans hate America during the times they nearly wiped out the indians or enslaved the blacks? I don`t think so!

The end of your comment contains a very important message:

Schindler was a member of the NSDAP. Schindler saved many jewish lives. So he was a honorable man.  I don`t differ in opinion. But that  means that not everyone who was a member of the NSDAP liked to kill jews. When this is true then it is also clear that not everyone who elected the NSDAP wanted to exterminate the jews. Remember: The NSDAP (DAP) existed before Hitler became a member of that party.

I say: Max Schmeling allways refused to become a member of the NSDAP (and was in big trouble with Hitler because of that) and he also saved at least two jewish lives. So no one should affect Max Schmelings honor.

I know there's no point replying to this now, but i was away so i couldn't respond at the time.

If Schmeling felt so strongly about Hitler he would have stood by his principles and not met with him whatever the cost.

Germany elected the Nazi's because of the state they were in. Granted they couldn't have known everything Hitler was planning, but it wasn't as if he was presenting a false image of himself. The German people saw Hitler as their saviour. Mein Kampf is about Hitler's struggle, looking back on it now you can see Hitler's growing plans to get rid of the Jews but for people reading the book then i don't think it would have been seen as complete hatred for the Jews.

Fritz Lang wasn't Jewish, he only had Jewish heritage. The Nazi party only cared about his filmmaking abilities.

To like Germany at the time Hitler was in power you would have to like Nazi Germany, simple as that.

"Did the Americans hate America during the times they nearly wiped out the indians or enslaved the blacks? I don`t think so!"

That doesn't make sense, the Brits who conquered America overran the natives to take their land. Why would the hate it, they were doing it. As for the Americans that liked their country during the enslavement of blacks, that's probably because they didn't like black people.

Schindler intitially had no intention of saving Jews, he was only doing it for bussiness. Granted he eventually did save many lives. Sure not every member of the party had as extreme views of Hitler, but they still followed him.

It's gone off topic, so back to the point. Schemling wasn't a Nazi but i just think it was a bit of a stretch by him to claim he didn't want anything to do with Hitler, when he clearly did have something to do with him.

This post was pretty pointless, but i felt the need to respond.

Guest One Man Jury
Rockabilly, through this thread I have learnt more about Max Schmeling's achievments, both inside and outside the boxing ring, than I probably would have done anywhere else, and my admiration for him has grown as I have read.

From you however, I have learnt that the English are basically brain-dead, ill-educated cowards who drink bad beer. Oh, and of course, the English are not very good at football. The Germans are by implication, intelligent, well educated, brave, drink the best beer in the world, and are the best at football.

Few countries can look back on the 20th century with complete pride, but I think the English have a better case than Germany. Except of course on the football pitch, well done Germany.

Greetings from France.

Trust a Frenchie to suck up to the Germans. I suppose it's better than collaborating with them like most of them did between 1940-1944.

Guest One Man Jury

Let me see:

Germanys football sucesses:

World champion in 1954

World champion in 1974

World champion in 1990

European champion in 1972

European champion in 1980

European champion in 1996

And now to Englands football sucesses:

World champion in 1966 (Wembley-swindle!)

Second world champion-title of 1966 (in the parallel-universe)

World champion 6 years after 1960

World champion 4 years before 1970

World champion 66 years after the beginning of the 20th century

World champions 34 years before the beginning of the 21th century

World champion in 2004 (if championships would have taken place in 2004)

Result:

I have to beg your pardon: England is the best football team of the world!!

Correction, mostly West Germany old chap!

Yes, Germany has conquered the football world - shame about their other attempts in two other competitions (you know what I mean). Still, it was nice of them to give the French a couple of pastings! Yes, well done Germany!

Mind you, the French are better than the Argies - just!

Greetings from France.

Trust a Frenchie to suck up to the Germans. I suppose it's better than collaborating with them like most of them did between 1940-1944.

One Man Jury, you have completely misunderstood my post. I suggest you look up the word sarcasm in the dictionary.

This thread seems to have veered widely off topic and now seems to have become some sort of petty nationalism playground bickering and name-calling forum.

If nobody has anything else of any interest or note regarding Max Schmeling (remember him? Got a mention back at the beginning of this thread) then I'm seriously minded to close it down - any complaints??

If nobody has anything else of any interest or note regarding Max Schmeling (remember him? Got a mention back at the beginning of this thread) then I'm seriously minded to close it down - any complaints??

What have we learned so far about the late Max?

a. He was German

b. He lost convincingly to Joe Louis in their return match.

c. He appeared in a number of photo opportunities with Herr Hitler

d. He apparently engenders great symapthy/admiration from fanatics

e. He is dead.

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed

animal food trough water! I fart in your general direction! Your

mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Guest Sergi
This thread seems to have veered widely off topic and now seems to have become some sort of petty nationalism playground bickering and name-calling forum.

I think it really would be a good idea to close this thread down.

But remenber that the nationalism probably was brought in by naming it "Max Schmeling, Hitler's Boxer (or maybe not)"

Guest Sergi

At the end even the Frenchie relized that the common Brit is empty-headed.

At the end even the Frenchie relized that the common Brit is empty-headed.

For heaven's sake lighten up, its a quote from Monty Python.