Godot

Mollie Sugden et al

Wasn't really sure if this is the best thread or not, but felt it didn't warrant its own thread.

They've just shown Don't Wait Up - Comedy Connections on BBC1, including interviews with Tony Britton & Dinah Sheridan.

Sheridan, who has not appeared on telly for yonks, and who I thought might be ill, seems as healthy as ever. I think she's about 86 now, but she looked a good 10-15 yrs younger. From having her high up as a potential pick, she's shot down the list now as I think she'll make 90.

Tony Britton, who must be, oh what nearly mid 80's now? Looked okay - I don't think he'll die within the next year or so - still seemed with it, looked robust enough. Probably won't make 90 but I think he will make 2008.

Anyone else see the programme and agree/disagree?

I agree. Those two seem far too healthy for their years and I wouldn't lay any bets on either of them croaking for a good 5 years or so, unless they meet with a nasty traffic accident in the meantime.

Here we are five years on and both Tony and Dinah are still with us. Haven't seen them on telly for a while but if they have retired to the high life who can blame them.

Dinah Sheridan died a couple of months later http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-20486180

PS forget my last post.I didn't read Octopuses post properly.I thought he was saying he'd died

Dinah has been dead since November 2012 as it was mentioned when she died http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8104&view=findpost&p=179222

You are aware of how old the posts you're digging up actually are or are you incapable of using the search function?

Guest Guest

yeah but it wasn't mentioned in this thread so i thought i would in case there was anyone who only ever looks at this thread

One sitcom that probably few remember is "Dead Ernest" which starred Andrew Sachs (b. 4-7-1930)

Ken Jones (b. 20-2-1930) - Archangel Derek

Janet Rawson (b. ?) - Archangel Doreen

Simon Chandler (b. ?) - Schubert

Derek Deadman (b. ?) - Saint George

Joseph Grieg (b. ?) - Eric the Poltergeist

Tony Haygarth (b. 4-2-1945) - Warrant Angel Hoskins

Kenny Ireland (b. ?) - Brian

Hilton McRae - (b 28-12-1949) - Mozart

Bryan Murray (b. 13-7-1949) - Saint Patrick

Robert Putt (b.?) - Beethoven

John Quentin (b. ?) - Cherub Beavis

Tim Sinclair (b. ?) - Congreve

Seretta Wilson (b. ?) - Linda

Can anyone help fill in the missing gaps with d.o.b or have any health info on those left alive from the cast?

One sitcom that probably few remember is "Dead Ernest" which starred Andrew Sachs (b. 4-7-1930)

My sister does! She remembers it about a bloke dying when a champagne cork hits him between the eyes and then living some sort of strange afterlife...

Kenny Ireland is currently in 'Benidorm'...

Outa the ones I know I had assumed Ken Jones was dead eons ago.

Kenny Ireland would be my ''pick'', no info, but has always been waaaay overweight, sure he smokes and looks like a heart attack awaits. mid 60's now, be surprised to see him make 70.

Seretta Wilson aptly played Sgt Wilsons daughter in Dads Army btw, as JLM was also in Dead Earnest.

If you want some useless information to add to your list, I believe Derek Deadman is about 74 or so this year. If we are talking the same actor who was in The Invasion of Time.

My sister does! She remembers it about a bloke dying when a champagne cork hits him between the eyes and then living some sort of strange afterlife...

I remember it too.

Sachs played a Pools winner who died celebrating his win in, IIRC, a Hotel.

It was that bad it got annihilated by the critics and the series got pulled after the first episode, the rest of them canned and thrown into the vaults of Thames Television or summat.

Blimey, that's a worse fate than Hardwicke House!

Blimey, that's a worse fate than Hardwicke House!

I was going to edit my post. Just looked up the "comedy" and it did actually last a whole first series before being thrown in the bin.

Mind you it was in 1982 and my memory isnt what it was, besides I was 17 then and never at home to watch TV unless it was Hill St Blues.

I remember it too.

It was that bad it got annihilated by the critics and the series got pulled after the first episode, the rest of them canned and thrown into the vaults of Thames Television or summat.

I liked it. The slightly morbid premise appealed to my sense of humour.

I remember it too.

I liked it. The slightly morbid premise appealed to my sense of humour.

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes, then after a while it was wearing a bit thin. Although I wouldn't mind seeing it again just for the sheer hell of it. That, and I'd love to see "A Small Problem" the one that starred Christopher Ryan.

I remember Kenny Ireland from House of Cards (1990 of course, not the recent Kevin Spacey version). His performance as "Ben Landless", clearly supposed to be a Rupert Murdoch-type, somehow stayed fairly solid despite his American accent being a little slippy/dodgy at times, and it being very obvious that he was British and not a yank at all. I think he knew the accent wasn't quite right but didn't let it get to him/put him off. Anyway even if he'd done so badly that it was a reverse version of Dick van Dyke it still couldn't have possibly derailed any scene/production that was being anchored by Ian Fucking Richardson (who I nominate as first person who should be revived from the dead when they finally come up with the technology to do that).

Guest Guest

Ken Jones (b. 20-2-1930) - Archangel Derek

Janet Rawson (b. ?) - Archangel Doreen

Simon Chandler (b. ?) - Schubert

Derek Deadman (b. ?) - Saint George

Joseph Grieg (b. ?) - Eric the Poltergeist

Tony Haygarth (b. 4-2-1945) - Warrant Angel Hoskins

Kenny Ireland (b. ?) - Brian

Hilton McRae - (b 28-12-1949) - Mozart

Bryan Murray (b. 13-7-1949) - Saint Patrick

Robert Putt (b.?) - Beethoven

John Quentin (b. ?) - Cherub Beavis

Tim Sinclair (b. ?) - Congreve

Seretta Wilson (b. ?) - Linda

Can anyone help fill in the missing gaps with d.o.b or have any health info on those left alive from the cast?

of the 4 actors who were in every episode at least one of them is dead,Harry Fowler died 2 years ago aged 85

I was recently trying to think of 80s (or older) sitcoms where everyone is still alive and was surprised that Howard and Hilda from Ever Decreasing Circles are both still with us, meaning all the main cast from that are still with us.

Well that's not true now obviously. Did anyone else catch this on BBC4 earlier? It still holds up quite well. So what is the oldest sitcom where all the main cast are still with us? Red Dwarf maybe?

Fawlty Towers (1975). Cleese, Booth, Scales & Sachs are all still with us. Of course the second stratum (Ballard Berkley etc) are rather more depleted...

• Like 1

Fawlty Towers (1975). Cleese, Booth, Scales & Sachs are all still with us. Of course the second stratum (Ballard Berkley etc) are rather more depleted...

Of course. How could I have forgotten.

I was recently trying to think of 80s (or older) sitcoms where everyone is still alive and was surprised that Howard and Hilda from Ever Decreasing Circles are both still with us, meaning all the main cast from that are still with us.

Well that's not true now obviously. Did anyone else catch this on BBC4 earlier? It still holds up quite well. So what is the oldest sitcom where all the main cast are still with us? Red Dwarf maybe?

It might be stretching the definition of sitcom, but The Goodies began in 1970 and all 3 principals are not only still with us but all are still working.

Definitely in the sitcom bracket is Love Thy Neighbour, which began in 1972; all four leads are still with us (Jack Smethurst, Kate Williams, Rudolph Walker and Nina Baden Semper) though the support cast (Tommy Godfrey, Keith Marsh & Paul Luty) have departed.

• Like 1

It might be stretching the definition of sitcom, but The Goodies began in 1970 and all 3 principals are not only still with us but all are still working.

Definitely in the sitcom bracket is Love Thy Neighbour, which began in 1972; all four leads are still with us (Jack Smethurst, Kate Williams, Rudolph Walker and Nina Baden Semper) though the support cast (Tommy Godfrey, Keith Marsh & Paul Luty) have departed.

Not sure I can compete with Love Thy Neighbour but To The Manor Born has its three main leads (Penelope Keith, Angela Thorne & Peter Bowles) and a fair number of bit parts still present as well.

Thought I better get this in before Gerald Sim died.

Red Dwarf?

Was convinced either/both Holly's died a couple of years ago but I am wrong.

Danny JJ and Craig Charles would be good shouts for an early exit though.

The samurai sword stuff in the street :D

Red Dwarf? No, probably something older than that surely. What about The Young Ones or Bottom? You can probably find some from even as far back as the mid 70s or something.

Red Dwarf? No, probably something older than that surely. What about The Young Ones or Bottom? You can probably find some from even as far back as the mid 70s or something.

Christopher Ryan (Mike Thecoolperson) is probably the most vulnerable as he's the oldest by a distance and in his 70s.

Mind you, has Rik Mayall ever fully recovered from that quad bike accident?

Hopefully they'll all stick around. Mel Smith's death would have been a warning to those of the alternative comedy generation...

Er, he's in his sixties actually.

http://en.wikipedia....hristopher_Ryan

Not related to the thread but folk in their 70's....Andy Summers from The Police ffs.

Thought I'd throw that in as it makes me feel auld :(