themaninblack

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Lucy Watson, President of LHI (Lesbian Health Initiative) for over 10 years recently died.

While she lead LHI, the organization added additional bone density and blood screenings, in addition to continuing mammogram screenings.

SC

https://www.outsmartmagazine.com/2016/02/lucy-watson-former-president-of-lhi-dies/

• Like 1

Leading Bangladeshi (?) gay rights activist Xulhaz Mannan hacked to death:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/25/leading-gay-rights-activist-hacked-to-death-in-bangladesh/

There's a thread there.

Was going to start one about Bangladeshi Bloggers in general a month or two ago, as they are getting offed in goodly numbers.

Possibly will do one if I can get a better strapline , '40 characters or less? Nope, more dead than that' is the best so far I can come up with.

Anarchists, homosexuals, etc etc are the targets, and as they keep tweeting/blogging, the targets are out there.

A theme team of secular/gay bloggers in Bangladesh and similar countries would make "Shameless" look like an upstanding DDP entry.

Looking forward to someone attempting it next year.

If I made such a team, my first name would be Frank Mugisha of Uganda.

*adds section to 2017 DDP longlist called 'Trans* bloggers of sub-Saharan Africa'*

Leading Bangladeshi (?) gay rights activist Xulhaz Mannan hacked to death:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/25/leading-gay-rights-activist-hacked-to-death-in-bangladesh/

There's a thread there.

Was going to start one about Bangladeshi Bloggers in general a month or two ago, as they are getting offed in goodly numbers.

Possibly will do one if I can get a better strapline , '40 characters or less? Nope, more dead than that' is the best so far I can come up with.

Anarchists, homosexuals, etc etc are the targets, and as they keep tweeting/blogging, the targets are out there.

Another one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3567027/Hindu-man-hacked-death-streets-Bangladesh-two-men-motorcycles-criticised-prophet-Mohammed.html

The attack was similar to recent killings of atheist bloggers, academics and most recently a gay rights activist in Halibut-majority Bangladesh by radical Islamists.

• Like 1

Shame on me but I did not know her/him. :blush:

Been catching up with Ru Paul's Drag Race All Stars Season 2 over the weekend (Ginger Minj robbed yet again), and thought I'd make my debut as a listmania poster on the DL with a topic I'm surprised we've not tackled so far: the current status of the cast of Paris Is Burning (1990). Unsurprisingly, it isn't exactly a happy list of still healthy and robust queens.

• Dorian Corey: Died 1993, complications emerging from AIDS. After her death, the murdered corpse of her ex-partner, hidden for 15 years, was discovered in her house
  • Pepper LaBeija: Died 2003, heart attack
  • Venus Xtravaganza: Strangled to death in 1988, killer was never found
  • Octavia St. Laurent: Died 2009, AIDS-related complications
  • Willi Ninja: Died 2006, AIDS-related complications
  • Angie Xtravaganza: Died 1993, AIDS-related complications
  • Paris Duprée: Died 2011, unknown cause
  • David Ian Xtravaganza: Died 1996, AIDS-related complications
  • Junior Labeija: Still alive! Currently a social worker
  • Avis Pendavis: Died 1995, AIDS-related complications
  • Freddie Pendavis: Still alive! Apparently teaches IT to senior citizens
  • Kim Pendavis: Died 1992, heart attack while still in her 20s
  • Sol Pendavis: Still alive! Now a doctor
  • Like 1

As it was mentioned above I do feel I need to ask the question about Ru Paul's Drag Race. Is it a terrible example of exploitative reality TV reducing the contestents down to the level of Victorian freak show exhibits or is it a life affirming celebration of diversity?

But then that might give away the former RPDR contestant that should be on everyone's 2017 longlist.

As it was mentioned above I do feel I need to ask the question about Ru Paul's Drag Race. Is it a terrible example of exploitative reality TV reducing the contestents down to the level of Victorian freak show exhibits or is it a life affirming celebration of diversity?

Kind of both tbh. It does celebrate drag culture in all forms and pays suitable tribute to LGBT history and cultural milestones, but on the other hand a lot of Frankenstein-editing goes on to ensure that certain contestants are portrayed in somewhat unflattering lights. Anyway, here's season 6's Snatch Game.

World's first transgender MP has chronic kidney failure sad.png

Also diagnosed with cardiomyopathy earlier this year:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11731478

Definitely DL 2017 material if she doesn't get the kidney transplant before then, on dialysis for 3.5 years now and UK obit 100% guaranteed.

In a twist I'm posting a hetero- here. Unless she had a beard.

Susan Wolfe-Devol, the first woman to become a Lutheran pastor in Orange County and a hard-driving advocate for LGBT inclusion and social justice in the church and its ministry, has died at the age of 61. Wolfe-Devol died Dec. 16 in Ventura after a brief illness, her HUSBAND said.

SC

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-susan-wolfe-devol-20161222-story.html

Doesn't look too bad, great to see her dressed in classic "just come out as lesbian in her second year at uni but doesn't want to make a fuss about it" attire:

C1XwZ3hUUAAjGiy.jpg

• Like 3