Godot

A Famous Belgian

As all his opponents were doped, he would have been cheating if he had remained clean his entire career.

Not quite sure of the logic of that. If everybody cheats and you don't cheat then you must be the cheat for not cheating. That right?

• Like 1

As all his opponents were doped, he would have been cheating if he had remained clean his entire career.

Not quite sure of the logic of that. If everybody cheats and you don't cheat then you must be the cheat for not cheating. That right?

Well, yes, that's about it, really. You have to play the game by the rules... the written as well as the unwritten ones. If doping yourself is laid down as a standard, you would be a spoiler or cheater if you refuse to do so.

Well, yes, that's about it, really. You have to play the game by the rules... the written as well as the unwritten ones. If doping yourself is laid down as a standard, you would be a spoiler or cheater if you refuse to do so.

It reminds me of that Bible story where people are about to stone an old man to death and Jesus says: "Let he who has never sinned cast the first stone."

At that moment a woman comes out of the crowd and bashes the old man's head in with a big rock.

And Jesus says: "You know mother you really piss me off at times."

What was the womnas name Frodo? (sorry I can't say the G wotrd)

Toots Thielemans? Or do you mean Mollie Sugden. She's not Belgian, not even as Belgian as you BB. I have now edited this post four times, three to correct my piss poor spelling and now again to correct Dildo's. Toots looks a good one.

I hope Ca Plane Pour Moi by Plastic Bertrand is rereleased. It is effectively the same tune as I Love to Boogie by Marc Bolan & T.Rex y'know! Only in French and a bit punkier...

I hope Ca Plane Pour Moi by Plastic Bertrand is rereleased. It is effectively the same tune as I Love to Boogie by Marc Bolan & T.Rex y'know! Only in French and a bit punkier...

Yup, mentioned it earlier.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/plastic-b...6956331016.html

From memory I think the song goes:

Ca plane pour moi

Ca plane pour moi

Ca plane pour moi

Toots also mentioned earlier by the redoubtable Octopus of Odstock.

Never mind a harmonica, Toots is as fit as a fiddle:

http://www.tootsthielemans.com/news/news.html

010.jpg

The guy is offering that innocent child a blow on his whistle!

O dear! I'd be surprised if that link would pass the very strict DL-criteria of censorship... Those poor Belgians don't have an immaculate reputation when it comes to improper behaviour towards children, mind.

Ca plane pour moi

Ca plane pour moi

Ca plane pour moi

You know what screw my idea of the spell checker.

This place needs a real life translator.

Ca plane pour moi

And somwhere: "Je suis le king of le divan." Still a bit mysterious...

regards,

Hein (alors, pourquoi pas)

redoubtable \rih-DOW-tuh-buhl\, adjective:

1. Arousing fear or alarm; formidable.

2. Illustrious; eminent; worthy of respect or honor.

One hopes its meaning number two :(

Toots was the harmonica player on Midnight Cowboy, that's how I've heard of (and stay interested about) him.

redoubtable \rih-DOW-tuh-buhl\, adjective:

1. Arousing fear or alarm; formidable.

2. Illustrious; eminent; worthy of respect or honor.

One hopes its meaning number two :(

Toots was the harmonica player on Midnight Cowboy, that's how I've heard of (and stay interested about) him.

Well, in some respects both. I can't match your ruthless approach to deathlisting. My heart always seems to rule my head. But I do think you can be relied upon to do some serious research which was what this thread needed. Those Belgians work hard at avoiding fame - the wallflowers of Europe.

The bit about Toots and Midnight Cowboy suddenly brings him alive for me. I loved that film, one of Dustin Hoffman's best and the harmonica playing made the film. Touts is definitely death list material, and didn't I read in one post he had had heart trouble.

Does Toots need a new organ?

Ca plane pour moi

Ca plane pour moi

Ca plane pour moi

Don't forget 'ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh!'

010.jpg

The guy is offering that innocent child a blow on his whistle!

O dear! I'd be surprised if that link would pass the very strict DL-criteria of censorship... Those poor Belgians don't have an immaculate reputation when it comes to improper behaviour towards children, mind.

The kid's going to be so proud of that picture when he grows up - the day I swapped spit with Toots Thielemans.

a monumentosu moment indeed

Had an email back from famous belgians site but it was just a site-generated thing promising some new site relaunch but hasn't happened yet, no clues on famous soon-to-be-dead Belgians sadly. My money's on Toots particularly if they book him at the City Varieties in June with Joe Longthorne and Mickey Rooney. Maybe the kid is Mickey's stand-in.

Anything more since then goodot?

Not had much time to check lately BB. Spent Sunday watching the death of the England Rugby Union team and much of the time surrounding this event experimenting with various forms of alcoholic poisoning. Had time to visit the Louvre where I pondered on the possibility of Dan Brown coming to a sticky end like one of the characters in his books, run over, perhaps, on the crossing outside the High Court. Most of the "new" names added to the Famous Belgians web site apear to be dead Belgians. Not many promising live ones. Maybe the compiler, Marc Tielemans, can be pursuaded to compile a famous living Belgians list.

ooooooooooooooh you've been to the Louvre. I myself am not one who has been able to get to Paris. I usually start off in Bordeaux with the bordeaux and welll I suppose you know what happens next.

I shall now head off to do some sort of vague half research on Belgians...first though I need a Brandy Alexander.

Re famous Belgians: what was the name of the git who imprisoned, raped and tortured young girls including the lassie that wrote the best selling book about choosing to live? Either way, that Belgian is infamous around the world, alive, young by DL standards and probably a man who goes in fear of his life in jail.

Ca plane pour moi

Ca plane pour moi

Ca plane pour moi

Don't forget 'ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh!'

Also covered by The Damned, who may or may not have toured Belgium, as 'Jet Boy, Jet Girl'. Research backed by my failing memory reveals that Sonic Youth did a version too (more faithful to the original) although I am unaware of any Belgium related incidents in their past.

Jacques Brel is a famous Belgian but wouldn't qualify for the list unless he could be added posthumously.

Re famous Belgians: what was the name of the git who imprisoned, raped and tortured young girls including the lassie that wrote the best selling book about choosing to live? Either way, that Belgian is infamous around the world, alive, young by DL standards and probably a man who goes in fear of his life in jail.

I think you mean Marc Dutroux.

regards,

Hein

I scored a hit with César Franck on Death List 1890. Not been too many famous Belgians since then.

• Like 1