CarolAnn

Baseball

This one goes out to the left hand side of the pond from someone who owns a Mets t-shirt.

Do I really have Ron Santo on too many of my deadpool lists? Or is he really ill, and quite likely to die at any time?

He's still quite active campaigning for the Juvenille Diabetes Research Foundation. He just had the 28th annual Ron Santos Walk to Cure Diabetes last October.

He still seems to be going 90 to nothing in his work to raise money for a cure for Juvenille Diabetes, cancer or no cancer, legs or no legs. He's still calling Cubs games.

His son is a filmmaker and chronicled his father's loss of his second leg.

I would say it is a fair wager to say that he may not make it. He's had at least 22 operations (referenced in a 2004 interview) - one of which is a quad bypass - so I would call it 50-50.

I would run with those odds, but then I'm reckless. :lol: I've been considering him for Alphonsin's pool - depending on his documentation requirements - or W90.

• Like 1

This one goes out to the left hand side of the pond from someone who owns a Mets t-shirt.

Do I really have Ron Santo on too many of my deadpool lists? Or is he really ill, and quite likely to die at any time?

I put Emilio Navarro on one of my dead pool lists. At 102 he's bound to go sooner or later

Ron Santo seems to be doing fine, well as fine as he can be at the moment

In an unexpected turn of events a once healthy and seemingly happy man with a name which defied description as to where it was generated from has died at the age of 80. (although some say he was born with a Bowie knife)

Yes, that's right. You did indeed hear it correctly. Former major league baseball comisssioner Bowie Kuhn has died. He has had his last at bat, hit his final out, was looking for a knuckler and got a grounder. He won't be making it back to home plate, the tarp has been rolled out...

Here is an article from the Chicago Tribune (condensed for space logistics)

Bowie Kuhn 1926-2007

Leader in rough times

Kuhn oversaw labor strife, expanded playoffs, free agency

By Mike Kupper

Tribune Newspapers: Los Angeles Times

March 16, 2007

Bowie Kuhn, baseball commissioner during one of the sport's stormiest eras and perhaps best remembered for sitting in his suit coat in 40-degree weather during the 1976 World Series, died Thursday. He was 80.

According to his spokesman, Bob Wirz, Kuhn died at St. Luke's Hospital in Jacksonville after a short bout with pneumonia that led to respiratory failure.

In his 15 years as commissioner, baseball experienced the end of the reserve clause, which bound players to their teams for as long as their teams wanted them; the emergence of free agency, which led to today's multimillion-dollar contracts; lawsuits, labor strife, rebellion by owners and retaliation by Kuhn.

That same period also produced expansion, league and division playoffs, the designated hitter, and unprecedented attendance and television booms.

Kuhn once said, "I want it to be remembered that I was commissioner during a time of tremendous growth in the popularity of the game and that it was a time in which no one could question the integrity of the game."

Kuhn was a lawyer who had impressed baseball with his successful defense of the Braves, who were sued by the city of Milwaukee after moving to Atlanta in 1966. He took office in 1969 as a compromise candidate serving a one-year trial term, replacing William Eckert, a former Air Force general under whom baseball had stagnated.

He suspended the Yankees' George Steinbrenner, baseball's most powerful owner,

Kuhn suspended Braves owner Ted Turner for contract tampering and fined San Diego Padres owner Ray Kroc $100,000-Steinbrenner was suspended for two years, later reduced to 15 months, after he had been found guilty of illegal political campaign contributions.

Kuhn suspended Detroit Tigers pitcher Denny McLain for his involvement in a bookmaking venture, The player who forever will be linked to Kuhn, however, is the late Curt Flood. In the fall of 1969, he refused to report after having been traded by the St. Louis Cardinals to the Philadelphia Phillies, instead demanding in a letter to Kuhn that he be declared a free agent.

A strike in 1981--the fifth work stoppage under Kuhn--took much of the season. On Nov. 1, 1982, owners failed to give him the 75 percent approval he needed for another term. He finished his term and served another season as baseball waited for his successor, Peter Ueberroth, to give the world the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. Ueberroth succeeded Kuhn on Oct. 1, 1984.

Kuhn was born Bowie Kent Kuhn--he was a descendant of and named for Jim Bowie, legendary adventurer and inventor of the Bowie knife--in Takomav Park, Md., on Oct. 26, 1926.

He grew up in Washington, D.C., an avid fan of the original Washington Senators, graduated from Princeton and got his law degree from the University of Virginia.

Ueberroth, now chairman of the U.S. Olympic Committee, said: "As commissioner of Major League Baseball, Bowie was instrumental in expanding the visibility and popularity of the sport worldwide.

"He brought order to Major League Baseball, and his many contributions to the growth of the game will serve as an enduring legacy. Bowie was a great commissioner and, in my opinion, he belongs in the Hall of Fame."

[Merged with the baseball thread - ff]

[Merged with the baseball thread - ff]

Much obliged....I originally submitted this request to another, and after no response and no move I became annoyed and was about to file a grievance. Again, I thank you for your efforts.

Those old baseball managers like Tommy Lasorda and Earl Weaver could certainly show our own footy managers such as Jose, Fergie or Strachan (and DL guests) how to rant in style. I know these clips are as old as the hills, but they really are a must for any self-respecting fan of quality swearing.

I'm breaking the silence crystal clear and I have to say talking umpires and mangers, Lou Pinella has his period out there every other game. I'm starting to believe it's just a major publicity stunt, but I'll tell you one thing if the Yankees start going on another losing streak I want to see Torre go mad dog on that field.

I'm breaking the silence crystal clear and I have to say talking umpires and mangers, Lou Pinella has his period out there every other game. I'm starting to believe it's just a major publicity stunt, but I'll tell you one thing if the Yankees start going on another losing streak I want to see Torre go mad dog on that field.

His temper tantrum will never match that of late Yankees manager, Billy Martin

His temper tantrum will never match that of late Yankees manager, Billy Martin's

Right very laid back, but Larry Boa most recently a Phillie manager could be an example of a guy who throws a couple tables over in the club house. A very intimidating coaching staff they have.

His temper tantrum will never match that of late Yankees manager, Billy Martin's

Larry Boa

doesn't he manage the Diamondbacks?

NewArizonadbacks.jpg

Excuse my grammar, the spelling goes Larry Bowa. Arizona's manager is Bob Melvin.

Bowa is currently the Yankees third base coach. Now he's a guy who goes mad dog. I remember a game against the Mets once where he took one of his pitchers out in the middle of the count. Against the rules? I guess not.

Re baseball and 'mad dog' is

the sort of thing you mean? Very entertaining IMHO.

Incidentally, my face feels very warm at the moment, perhaps because everytime I've logged on here in the last few days Banshees has been on fire!

Go well BS.

Re baseball and 'mad dog' is
the sort of thing you mean? Very entertaining IMHO.

the baseball coach's name is Phillip Wellman, apparently. Middle name "Notah", perhaps?

Today 'The Rocket' Roger Clemens returns to the New York Yankees for his twenty fourth major league season. He claims to be such a positive person and I hope that his optimism carries with him through his match up against Pittsburgh. One thing I can say about Clemens is he has always had the vibe, it's in the air. In this game you can't be more professional then Clemens, and sure people tip their caps to location arms like Greg Maddux, and Jamie Moyer and Tom Glavine, but none of them ever threw hard to begin with. At age forty four in counting, he plans to dominate batters with speed and accuracy. Taking this into perspective I'll give him five or six innings with 85 - 93 pitches.

No Hitter! Justin Verlander! The 119 loss Tigers to this!

Excellent.

Brewers suck.

In their 46 year history, the New York Mets have never had a pitcher throw a no-hitter.

Basketball; hardcore division.

Worse than rugby league, IMHO.

Tonight begins the first of a three game series show down between The New York Mets and The New York Yankees in -Yankee Stadium. Roger Clemens makes his second start of the season, throwing more pitches in his first then I assumed. He takes on Oliver Perez, the former Pittsburgh ace who will fan a few batters but overall will crack under pressure type orientated situations. He was the big question early in the season and later raised a few eye brows, the Mets have been playing like a (Class Double A Club) so in my predication The Yankees take game one, Oliver Perez gives up a couple shots over the wall, and Clemens is a clean 2 - 0.

Guest 3 sheets to the wind

So which of these two bunch of cocksmoking loser teams do you actually root for?

So which of these two bunch of cocksmoking loser teams do you actually root for?

I vote for teams with history and chemistry. Cock sucker. Go ahead probably a Boston Red Sox Fan right? Well have fun for the next 95 years because every time they make the playoffs there balls are getting busted. I only support Schilling for his outspoken comments.

Guest 3 big sheets of acid

good old banshees GS027030.JPG

I vote for teams with history and chemistry. Cock sucker. Go ahead probably a Boston Red Sox Fan right? Well have fun for the next 95 years because every time they make the playoffs there balls are getting busted. I only support Schilling for his outspoken comments.

Hello BS, your prediction on the Yankees-Mets was as bad as your grammar and syntax. Clemens lost and is not a clean 2-0, but a mussed up 1-1. I don't know about 3 sheets but I am a Red Sox fan. You remember them, right? They're the team that made the Yankees the biggest chokers in baseball history. Losing after being up 3-0 in a best of seven. That's chemistry for you!

Well my prediction was in fact wrong, Clemens did not pitch a bad game but more the less his team mates supplied absolutely no hit support and were actually shut out after a brilliant night by Oliver Perez. Roger struck out 8)

Jose Reyes stole three bases that game, going all out on the 44 year old Rocket obviously. Nolan Ryan would point at the opposite dug out in the later years of his career, basically saying 'You bunt, your dead!' They bunted against Clemens and since he has aged, I don't think his attitude is as inside, as it was a few years ago.

You can't always be right, and I don't hate the Red Sox either. The Yankees lost four games straight in 2004 and I have no problem admitting that the Yankees deserved to loose, but let's not forget it took them (86 years) to accomplish that. It was well f****n overdue. You clap your hands, but you also say 'It was about time!l

Hello BS, your prediction on the Yankees-Mets was as bad as your grammar and syntax. Clemens lost and is not a clean 2-0, but a mussed up 1-1. I don't know about 3 sheets but I am a Red Sox fan. You remember them, right? They're the team that made the Yankees the biggest chokers in baseball history. Losing after being up 3-0 in a best of seven. That's chemistry for you!

Those old baseball managers like Tommy Lasorda and Earl Weaver could certainly show our own footy managers such as Jose, Fergie or Strachan (and DL guests) how to rant in style. I know these clips are as old as the hills, but they really are a must for any self-respecting fan of quality swearing.

Tommy Lasorda - that's a f***ing horseshit call. Get me a limousine :P

Lou Piniella's kind of fun to watch too.

Lou Piniella's kind of fun to watch too.

I agree but sometimes it actually seems like Piniella puts a show on deliberately. I thought Yankee reliever Kyle Farnsworth had every right to take a knock at Clemens on some radio interview, because if you are truly apart of a team I believe you should be at every game. Although how many pitchers are Roger Clemens and are still pitching gems at forty four? None. So Kyle should keep his mouth shut, he is only a minor reliever who is lucky to throw hard. Not a pitching legend.

• Like 1