Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

On 28/01/2017 at 14:25, WednesdayAddams said:

Deepwater Horizon is very good and worth a watch but won't spoil the ending for you.

That's the one were the person you think is a woman isn't and turns out she has a penis . Great ending!!

Upcoming Disney film being held for ransom by hackers who stole workprint.  They are going to release a chunk of the film to the public at a time until Disney pays up:  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-chief-bob-iger-says-hackers-claim-have-stolen-a-disney-movie-1003949

Saw a double bill at the weekend of Aaaaaaaaa! and Prevenge - gloriously bad taste jokes and both movies were Q&A with the director/star answering questions afterwards.

The first one is especially strange and includes a death by blowjob/bite scene that is particularly memorable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaaaaaaah

Saw the new King Arthur with some guys from work.  

As a King Arthur film, it was breathtakingly atrocious.

As a generic fantasy film that is trying to be hip and postmodern, maybe half marks, if it is lucky.  The writers  basically just took a few names from Arthurian lore (Arhtur, Vortigern, Uther, Bedivere and "Percy") and the trope of the sword in the stone and went off and wrote their own film about it.  Full of historical anachronisms too but I suspect the filmmakers were deliberately being ironic in that regard.

At least the Welsh backdrops (it was filmed on location in Snowdonia) were gorgeous. Would have just preferred two hours of Welsh scenery with no pesky actors (or CGI giant elephants and snakes for that matter) running around like loons.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2017 at 02:55, maryportfuncity said:

Saw a double bill at the weekend of Aaaaaaaaa!.......

The first one is especially strange and includes a death by blowjob/bite scene that is particularly memorable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaaaaaaah

"The film contains no dialogue, with the cast communicating entirely in animalistic grunts."
So this film only became strange for you when they got to the death by blowjob scene? 
:tomatododge:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Saw the new King Arthur with some guys from work.  

As a King Arthur film, it was breathtakingly atrocious.

As a generic fantasy film that is trying to be hip and postmodern, maybe half marks, if it is lucky.  The writers  basically just took a few names from Arthurian lore (Arhtur, Vortigern, Uther, Bedivere and "Percy") and the trope of the sword in the stone and went off and wrote their own film about it.  Full of historical anachronisms too but I suspect the filmmakers were deliberately being ironic in that regard.

At least the Welsh backdrops (it was filmed on location in Snowdonia) were gorgeous. Would have just preferred two hours of Welsh scenery with no pesky actors (or CGI giant elephants and snakes for that matter) running around like loons.

What popular film do you hate the most.

22 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

"The film contains no dialogue, with the cast communicating entirely in animalistic grunts."
So this film only became strange for you when they got to the death by blowjob scene? 
:tomatododge:

You may have a point there SC

Big budget superhero Hollywood shite leaves me cold - my tolerance for stuff others generally dislike is fairly high

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

You may have a point there SC

Big budget superhero Hollywood shite leaves me cold - my tolerance for stuff others generally dislike is fairly high

I feel ya.  I gravitate towards low- or medium-budget works that have critical acclaim of some sort (I'm a sucker for a DVD cover with some award symbol as a winner/entry for one film festival or another).  I will watch/rent my share of Hollywood flix, generally after the Oscars (catch up on why someone won an award e.g.), but prefer the former.  I like foreign language films as well ("A Separation" (2011) is one of my top 5 films ever).  And as an old punk rocker (lol) I appreciate experimental works as well.  I'll have to think about animal grunts, though. 

SC

(edit: I have a friend who writes professional reviews for horror movie genre, and gets movies sent to him for free.  I said if he gets Aaaaaah he has to send it to me when he's done :)

• Like 1

On 19/05/2017 at 18:03, Sir Creep said:

I feel ya.  I gravitate towards low- or medium-budget works that have critical acclaim of some sort (I'm a sucker for a DVD cover with some award symbol as a winner/entry for one film festival or another).  I will watch/rent my share of Hollywood flix, generally after the Oscars (catch up on why someone won an award e.g.), but prefer the former.  I like foreign language films as well ("A Separation" (2011) is one of my top 5 films ever).  And as an old punk rocker (lol) I appreciate experimental works as well.  I'll have to think about animal grunts, though. 

SC

(edit: I have a friend who writes professional reviews for horror movie genre, and gets movies sent to him for free.  I said if he gets Aaaaaah he has to send it to me when he's done :)

Aaaaaaaaah! is years old

One I loved - not horror, just gloriously uncommercial - Rams (about estranged Icelandic sheep farming brothers) is on telly this week.

@Bibliogryphon

FWIW, here is Trailer 3. IMHO, it is much better than trailer 2 (no where near as many guns being fired everywhere - I suspect Trailer 2 was put out to cater to the American market) but really it is just more of the same:

Saw Dunkirk last night.  I would smash Harry Styles to fucking pieces. Quite a good film too if you like dat sorta ting. 

I can't wait to see the emoji movie.

1 minute ago, The Mad Hatter said:

I can't wait to see the emoji movie.

Eh, it only got a 6% on rotten tomatoes. I'll gladly pass...

• Like 2

Finally got round to watching John Wick 2 last night, which led to a google search on the wee lesbian mafia thing.

Her grandfather was the last surviving Anzac from Gallipoli.

And not google related, but I Also found out today that the Scott in Kirsten Scott Thomas is for the 'of the Antarctic' great great uncle.

Nothing 'worthy' but what I learned today, deadpool connections thing I suppose. Film was v good as a sequel btw.

I saw Call Me By Your Name recently and it was stunning. 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2017 at 12:23, Joey Russ said:

That's down there with Run for your Wife, Parting Shots and Sex Lives of the Potato Men; the last of which - incidentally - I paid to see at the cinema and fucking loved

On 29/07/2017 at 12:23, Joey Russ said:

Nevertheless am I right in thinking it did rather good business at the box office? I think I read that it was quite popular with UK audiences although less so with American audiences. 

22 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Nevertheless am I right in thinking it did rather good business at the box office? I think I read that it was quite popular with UK audiences although less so with American audiences. 

Box office success doesn’t always equal a good film though. The films of the new DC Universe (apart from Wonder Woman) has all been terrible, yet it’s doing decent at the box office...

I like this a lot. No subtitles but easy to understand

• Like 1

The wailing --->  south korean movie.

ab-normal beauty -----> hong kong movie 

On 17/06/2017 at 10:55, Davey Jones' Locker said:

I finally got round to watching Valerian. Total tosh. Some element of style over content but the hero was charmless. Clive Owen was dismal. The plot inconsequential. Cara Delvinge was nice but the truly damning thing about the film was Rihanna was the best thing in it.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I finally got round to watching Valerian. Total tosh. Some element of style over content but the hero was charmless. Clive Owen was dismal. The plot inconsequential. Cara Delvinge was nice but the truly damning thing about the film was Rihanna was the best thing in it.

Yep, totally agree with you on every point.  Besson managed to dumb down the story to make it worse than the comic books upon which it is based. Completely rewriting the main characters as a pair of trigger-happy space soldiers from the future (in the comics they are anything but) is a travesty. As someone pointed out online, it is exactly like making a big flashy film about, say, the Tenth Doctor and Rose, and rewriting them as a pair of super soldiers from future earth. :( In the comics, Laureline hates, for instance, arms dealers and would never hurt a Shingouz (the little informants) so that gives you some idea of how much her personality was changed for the film. Also, in the last episode of the comic, one of Val's cloned offspring says how proud he is that his dad has never ever killed anyone. Had to laugh at that after the film version's shooting sprees... :(

Hilariously though, it has a much better audience  rating than The Last Jedi on Rotten Tomatoes. What are your thoughts on that film, @Bibliogryphon?

22 minutes ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Yep, totally agree with you on every point.  Besson managed to dumb down the story to make it worse than the comic books upon which it is based. Completely rewriting the main characters as a pair of trigger-happy space soldiers from the future (in the comics they are anything but) is a travesty. As someone pointed out online, it is exactly like making a big flashy film about, say, the Tenth Doctor and Rose, and rewriting them as a pair of super soldiers from future earth. :( In the comics, Laureline hates, for instance, arms dealers and would never hurt a Shingouz (the little informants) so that gives you some idea of how much her personality was changed for the film. Also, in the last episode of the comic, one of Val's cloned offspring says how proud he is that his dad has never ever killed anyone. Had to laugh at that after the film version's shooting sprees... :(

Hilariously though, it has a much better audience  rating than The Last Jedi on Rotten Tomatoes. What are your thoughts on that film, @Bibliogryphon?

Not seen the Last Jedi yet.

Not heard good things. Might go and see The Shape of Water instead