Godot

The Ones That Got Away...

Encouraged by MPFC, here's a thread to keep an eye on all those people who got away from disasters, crashes, sinkings, bunkers, prison camps and generally newsworthy happenings who may be remembered simply because they were there or in this case related to someone who was.

I've been wondering about all the Hitlers out there.

Of course there may be the odd imposter.

He was wonderful grampy when he wasn't exterminating people.
  • Like 1

Talking of survivors, why did this thread get wound up? There are a few good prospects in there. How odd.

• Like 1

No survivors here. A disaster in 1986 worse than the Titanic but I don't recall any headlines. Apparently not a night to remember.

I think there might have been some discussion on the Lusitania a while back but I can't find the last survivor, Audrey Lawson-Johnston in a DL search.

I think there might have been some discussion on the Lusitania a while back but I can't find the last survivor, Audrey Lawson-Johnston in a DL search.

How long have you been using this site? :rolleyes:

Thanks Audrey. What a sweetie. Bless. What a chump I am. But I still think it's good to record the name for any deadpoolers out there who might be "sniffing the wind."

Guest Godot's mother (Take it ligh

Godot, my dear son, four posts in a row? Oh, you need a hot meal. I might be eighty seven years old but that doesn't mean I can't cook my Godot a medium rare steak with some fresh veggies and some oven baked potato's on the side. I bought some whole wheat bread with one of my coupons the other day and I can toast it in the oven if you like? Would you like a fresh salad on the side instead of the bread? I'll make both. You know what, you look undernourished. I'll put some sizzling shrimp on top of the steak so then you will be satisfied for the night. Unless of course, you want the sausage with some broccoli rob and whole wheat pasta?

Guest Lynda Bellingham

That's never going to help if you leave out the OXO silly!

Encouraged by MPFC, here's a thread to keep an eye on all those people who got away from disasters, crashes, sinkings, bunkers, prison camps and generally newsworthy happenings who may be remembered simply because they were there or in this case related to someone who was.

Aye, but I suggested rebranding the Titanic thread which is - by default - a 'when will Mivena Dean die?' thread these days.

But four posts in a row......respect, don't think even I have gone that far.

Way to Godot, eh!

I beg to differ, in fact, you've eclipsed it - this is one I have found, but I think there are others...

5 in a row

I beg to differ, in fact, you've eclipsed it - this is one I have found, but I think there are others...

5 in a row

I wonder what the record is? Don't bother, it's too sad..

About Colditz - there's not many of them left. The fewer there are, the more likely an obit. One possibility is Walter Morison featured here by the oddly named Colditz Appreciation Society.

5 in a row

Aw c'mon, that's five posts over three weeks about different, obscure, but obit-worthy musicians. I mean, Godot layed them down like: BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG as he started the thread.

5 in a row

Aw c'mon, that's five posts over three weeks about different, obscure, but obit-worthy musicians. I mean, Godot layed them down like: BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG as he started the thread.

Well if you go in to the pub and stand at the bar all cheery like with the regulars you might bring something up like who won the match last night. If no-one seems to give a bugger, then you might mention the weather. If everyone continues staring in to their pints you might mention something in that day's papers or maybe the bloke at number 16 who's just had a sex change. Or you might, if no one is there, as in this case, just talk to yourself. I should have stayed in and watched telly.

Yeah, but there is a serious point here. A thread for survivors of major disasters and the like is well worthwhile IMHO.

Yeah, but there is a serious point here. A thread for survivors of major disasters and the like is well worthwhile IMHO.

In as much as anything on here is serious I would agree which is why I started this before we got even more good finds such as DDT's bunker man appearing in the Titanic thread which is vessel specific and should be unsullied by anything other than pointless repetitive questions and answers about Milvena Dean. It could be argued that some disasters such as Munich, perhaps, deserve their own thread. But there are loads of small wartime actions with "last ofs" that could be discussed here.

Also I thought it QI that there have been disasters much bigger than the Titanic that haven't registered with people.

Also I thought it QI that there have been disasters much bigger than the Titanic that haven't registered with people.

Newcastle United.

So, am I the only one who thinks we should merge this with the Titanic thread? It's in the nature of most disaster survivors to live quiet lives and get attention around the time they die. So, I think our best hope of a lively thread is one big bunfight putting the Hindenberg in with the Herald of Free Enterprise, or summat.

So, am I the only one who thinks we should merge this with the Titanic thread? It's in the nature of most disaster survivors to live quiet lives and get attention around the time they die. So, I think our best hope of a lively thread is one big bunfight putting the Hindenberg in with the Herald of Free Enterprise, or summat.

Go merge one of your own threads. This one's got potential.

I see another Great Escape veteran, Wing Commander William Thomas, has died. The Telegraph describes him as one of the few remaining survivors of the event.

Three men actually managed to evade capture. Two of them are long dead, but I can't find a date of death (or birth) for the Norwegian Jens Muller. I'm assuming he's dead as well, because he doesn't exactly look youthful in his prisoner of war photo. I suppose they didn't dish out much Oil of Olay in Stalag Luft, though.

I'm not sure I can contribute too much to this thread, Godot, otherwise it might bring my anorakish tendencies to the fore.

[Edit The Daily Mail say that William Thomas was the last surviving participant of the Great Escape, so it looks as if they've all been rounded up now]

I see another Great Escape veteran, Wing Commander William Thomas, has died. The Telegraph describes him as one of the few remaining survivors of the event.

Three men actually managed to evade capture. Two of them are long dead, but I can't find a date of death (or birth) for the Norwegian Jens Muller. I'm assuming he's dead as well, because he doesn't exactly look youthful in his prisoner of war photo. I suppose they didn't dish out much Oil of Olay in Stalag Luft, though.

I'm not sure I can contribute too much to this thread, Godot, otherwise it might bring my anorakish tendencies to the fore.

[Edit The Daily Mail say that William Thomas was the last surviving participant of the Great Escape, so it looks as if they've all been rounded up now]

I'm all suited up in the old anorak today DDT. What this shows is how quickly WWII veterans are dying off now. There can't be many Colditz survivors left. The Telemark raids could be worth a gander. Joachim Ronneberg would get an obit. Knut Haugland who also sailed on Kon Tiki is still alive.

I'm all suited up in the old anorak today DDT. What this shows is how quickly WWII veterans are dying off now. There can't be many Colditz survivors left. The Telemark raids could be worth a gander. Joachim Ronneberg would get an obit. Knut Haugland who also sailed on Kon Tiki is still alive.

Up to date Colditz information is thin on the ground, but this is fairly comprehensive. Their 'new' list only goes up to E, but it shows just how many stayed at the 'guest house'. How you'd find out who's still alive, I have no idea.

I notice that Victoria Cross survivors are discussed intermittently in Ideas and Possibilities but they can all be tracked here.

Eric Charles Twelves Wilson discussed before by Phantom and OoO seems one of the best prospects.

Right that's it, sun's come out, off with the anorak. My mum says I can play out (with pop and biscuits).

Not really deathlist material, but it's 20 years to the day since my sister survived (along with almost everyone else) the sinking of the Jupiter cruise ship in Piraeus.

I'm jolly glad she did, and she'll be around a long while I'm sure. Occasionally she'll pop by these hallowed virtual walls, so hello if you're reading.

I notice that Victoria Cross survivors are discussed intermittently in Ideas and Possibilities but they can all be tracked here.

Eric Charles Twelves Wilson discussed before by Phantom and OoO seems one of the best prospects.

Right that's it, sun's come out, off with the anorak. My mum says I can play out (with pop and biscuits).

Don't forget your thermos flask

• Like 1