Tempus Fugit

Ariel Sharon

"Ariel Sharon ▶ (help·info) Hebrew: אריאל שרון (February 27, 1928 – 5 January 2006) is the eleventh and former Prime Minister of Israel, serving from March 2001. A long-serving Israeli political and military leader, he was a founding member and former head of ..."

That is an excerpt from Wikipedia's article on him, underneath that in the "Strokes and DEATH" section, I find this:

"However, on January 4, 2006, Sharon was again rushed to the hospital from his ranch in the Negev region, apparently due to another stroke. Shortly afterward, the powers of the Prime Minster were transferred to Olmert. Doctors are calling the stroke "significant", adding that he "suffered cerebral hemorrhage". According to a reporter for the Fox News Channel, "the fight is no longer for Sharon to stay in office, but simply for him to stay alive." his fight was apparently lost at around 12:10, when Mr Sharon "didn't pull through" according to early reports by the Reuters News Agency."

So apparently Ariel Sharon is already dead?

UPDATE: Wikipedia now removed that, it must have just been someone jumping the gun.

This is indeed bad news - he was confidently dismissed by the DL committee when considered for the list :D

It was a bit random though... who was to know that Ariel Sharon and Alfredo di Stefano would go in the opposite way you thought they would?

I think I speak for most when I say this:

Bugger!

This is indeed bad news - he was confidently dismissed by the DL committee when considered for the list :D

It was a bit random though... who was to know that Ariel Sharon and Alfredo di Stefano would go in the opposite way you thought they would?

About 36 entrants in the DDP as far as I can see. Not many deathlisters there though.

UPDATE: Wikipedia now removed that, it must have just been someone jumping the gun.

Reuters is, however, the most grim of them all:

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle....RAEL-SHARON.xml

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was taken for surgery on Wednesday after suffering a cerebral hemorrhage, the director of Jerusalem's Hadassah Hospital said.

"The diagnosis is cerebral hemorrhaging. In light of this, the prime minister has been taken to the surgical ward," Dr. Shlomo Mor-Yosef told reporters. Sharon was in critical condition and may not recover, a senior political source said.

"It looks very bad. I don't know if he will recover," the source said.

I think everybody will agree when i say:

If ariel Sharon survives this. . . ordeal

He should DEFINATLEY be on the 07 list!

Its looking doubtfull tho dont ya think?

Sharon. Hang on in there.

361 more days ....

Please?

quite exciting this....reminds me of the birth of my children..... :D

trouble is , of course.....giving birth.....performing life saving operations.....trying to complete the Times crossword.....all these things take time !

And I've got work tomorrow....so unless he pops in the next 5 mins....I'm going to miss it :D

He's definitely not going to survive, this kind of massive stroke has a near 100% death rate.

I'll give him a few hours tops.

..and the Halibut world is EXPLODING with joy at the prospects. :D

This has all happened at a pivotal moment in Israeli history,

Sharon's new party, which was leading in the polls, could well become unelectable without him as head.

Netanyahu will be planning on how to capitalize on this.

being someone who knows nothing about Middle East Politics.....WHAT DOES THAT MEAN ?

More bonbs ? More asassinations ? petrol price rises ?

being someone who knows nothing about Middle East Politics.....WHAT DOES THAT MEAN ?

Sharon was the only one with the combined respectibility and charisma to effectively lead the Kadima, which is the new centrist party that he formed in November.

Benjamin Netanyahu took the reigns of the Likud Party, which is where Sharon split from. What I think TF was referring to is that Netanyahu is going to play Sharon's health (or death) in a way to draw people away from the new party, which is extremely vulnerable at this point.

The split between Likud and Kadima derived from Sharon's disengagement of the Gaza Strip in 2005. To oversimplify on the issue, Kadima would support suck a move, Likud would not.

I think everybody will agree when i say:

If ariel Sharon survives this. . . ordeal

He should DEFINATLEY be on the 07 list!

Its looking doubtfull tho dont ya think?

Sharon. Hang on in there.

361 more days ....

Please?

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but he is not going to make it. There is no chance of him appearing on our deathlist.

More bonbs ? More asassinations ? petrol price rises ?

I suppose it depends on your point of view. Personally, I believe that if the Likud remains in power under Netanyahu, it could go either way. Netanyahu is the type of person that I believe COULD show enough self-restraint not to be as aggressive as many of the members of his party, but it's uncertain at this point, and perhaps not looking favourable.

I think Sharon's death would, at the very least, block any sort of withdrawl from the West Bank for the next few years.

What remains to be seen, however, is how the Palestinians organize and react now that there has been disengagement in the Gaza Strip. Right now, it's the the hands of the PLO and its ability to control Hamas and rally the people themselves.

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but he is not going to make it. There is no chance of him appearing on our deathlist.

Is he a 'gimme?' There's a whole bunch of folk on DDP who have him on their team.

we was gonna have him on our team...damn...to late now durrrr..

Latest word is a pine box has been brought in for him...

Latest word is a pine box has been brought in for him...

Is that information kosher? :D (Shalom everyone, by the way - long time lurker who also doesn't have Sharon on their deadpool list)

I suppose this stroke was probably brought on by police claiming to have evidence over Sharon accepting a $3million bribe.

Guest Guest

At 5.15 UK time he is still in surgery !! .......