maryportfuncity

Widow(er) Shopping

Sadly she's not a widow yet, but the ever-fragrant Mary Archer has had a spot of bother with that sack of piss she carries around with her insert your own punchline.

• Like 1

Archaeologist and WWII SOE, widow of CIA officer Miles and mother of music biz types Miles Jr, the late Ian and Stewart (of The Police), Lorraine Copeland is still going in her mid-90s.

(I see we can't directly quote from locked topics anymore - is that something that can be fixed?)

Going back to the first post on this thread, Mary Wilson (widow of former PM Harold) will be 95 in January, nobody's staying power is infinite. Worthy of closer watching, surely.

Roy Orbison's widow Barbara has died from pancreatic cancer exactly 23 years after her husband died.

Jessie Paisley

Not the Paisley everybody was expecting! The widow of former Liverpool manager Bob has died aged 96.

Suzanne Mubarak wife of ousted Egyptian president Hosni could be suicidal

Was doing some internet research on author Laurie Lee today and his widow Cathy/Kathy (both spellings are used at different points where she is mentioned), was alive and fairly lively when she sold some of his possessions in April 2011. B 1931, she was about 14 years his junior and is famously pictured naked in Two Women, a book he wrote in praise of her and their daughter Jessy.

Going back to the first post on this thread, Mary Wilson (widow of former PM Harold) will be 95 in January, nobody's staying power is infinite. Worthy of closer watching, surely.

I would concur, assuming she's never made the official list? I could check but I honestly can't be arsed

[...]assuming she's never made the official list? I could check but I honestly can't be arsed

I just did, and indeed: no.

There were two Wilsons on the list:

• Brian Wilson (1989)
  • Harold Wilson (1987, 1994)

regards,

Hein

[...]assuming she's never made the official list? I could check but I honestly can't be arsed

I just did, and indeed: no.

There were two Wilsons on the list:

• Brian Wilson (1989)
  • Harold Wilson (1987, 1994)

regards,

Hein

Cheers for that. Would indeed be a worthy addition, could even be first-time (un)lucky. Though she seems to have been largely out of the public eye since her husband left office, her passing would generate a reasonable amount of press coverage. She is also the oldest living ex-British PM's spouse.

Incidentally, I was surprised actually to learn that Anthony Eden's widow, Clarissa, Countess of Avon (b. 1920) is also still alive

I was surprised to find recently that T S Eliot's widow Valerie was still alive and seemingly in fine fettle, presenting the annual T S Eliot award for poetry last month. Even though she's only 81 I can't help but think that anyone connected with Eliot is from a bygone pre-WW2 era.

Mrs Eliot is from a bygone era.

Guest idiot watcher

Probably that you are an idiot who cant read. Which you are

T.S. Eliot's widow, Valerie.

tumblr_m0i8vreY6e1qikpgv.gif

What's that supposed to mean, eh?

It might mean something to do with the death being announced a day before you posted on this thread IMMEDIATELY before your announcement.

Your welcome!

T.S. Eliot's widow, Valerie.

tumblr_m0i8vreY6e1qikpgv.gif

What's that supposed to mean, eh?

It might mean something to do with the death being announced a day before you posted on this thread IMMEDIATELY before your announcement.

WOW LOOK @ ME TURNING INTO THE ANNOYING GUEST POSTER

Your welcome!

Nora Mercer (or possibly Norah)

The widow of former Manchester City manager Joe Mercer has died aged 93. I debated about putting this in the "Time Added" thread, but settled on this one.

Elisabeth Furtwängler

The Widow of the controversial German conductor Wilhelm Furtwängler who "for the past six decades ... tirelessly defended his reputation against those who accused him of harbouring Nazi sympathies", has died aged 102, having outlived him by over 58 years.

Elisabeth Furtwängler

The Widow of the controversial German conductor Wilhelm Furtwängler who "for the past six decades ... tirelessly defended his reputation against those who accused him of harbouring Nazi sympathies", has died aged 102, having outlived him by over 58 years.

I don't give a shit what they did, their name is FURTWANGLER and for that, I love them.

• Like 4