Windsor

Derby Dead Pool 2007

Oh, and on dead people chosen for 2007 - didn't Ruth Bernhard die towards the end of the year? If so, she's been chosen too.

Yes she did and her picture was on the main page under recent news for quite a bit too.

Anyone with less than 20 living candidates should just be disqualified as a time wasting arse.

Agreed, along with people who don't read the rules and who pick animals and fictional characters.

I've paid my first visit to the new site.......awesome, the scale and ambition of the whole thing. My team isn't up yet but I notice that someone else has a unique pick symbol for one of my selections. Will this automatically cancel itself when my pick goes live as well?

MIB, not just one team chose James Brown - loads did!

Also just noticed someone picked Nizayov, the Turkmenistani bloke.

I do hope that all these who have blundered are not allowed to choose replacements like they did last year & just have to suffer the embarrassment of having less candidates. :o

There's also a few mistakes on there re. Helen Gardiner, Ruby Muhammad etc, but I'll wait until all the teams are in & post the whole lot to them. They'll hate me for it but there you go... :lol:

MPFC, yes. I hope my 5 unique picks stay unique, but we'll see.

MIB, not just one team chose James Brown - loads did!

I do hope that all these who have blundered are not allowed to choose replacements like they did last year & just have to suffer the embarrassment of having less candidates. :o

But surely they have suitable substitute candidates, unless they all picked Charlie Drake or something... :lol:

Maybe this will all the sorted by the DDP boys in time...

Rotten Ali is up to no good too... :o

He said that he chose the boxer Greg Page.

However the Greg Page that he's submitted is the Wiggle.

I think he should confirm once & for all which Greg Page he chose & stick to it. Otherwise that will be cheating if he or anyone else claims points for the wrong Greg Page...

[Agreed, last year you had to submit the date of birth and a brief description of any new picks. That prevented confusion and possible cheating.

That would've also stopped all this dead picks fiasco.

Anyway, to be honest, we're getting far ahead of ourselves and I'm sure the DDP boys are dealing with it anyway.

But you can't help noticing these things.

[Agreed, last year you had to submit the date of birth and a brief description of any new picks. That prevented confusion and possible cheating.

That would've also stopped all this dead picks fiasco.

Anyway, to be honest, we're getting far ahead of ourselves and I'm sure the DDP boys are dealing with it anyway.

But you can't help noticing these things.

The Derby Deadpool has become a victim of it's own success...

2004 Entrants - 43

2007 Entrants - 446!

That should be "fewer" candidates OoO. Less sugar, less sand, fewer footballs, fewer camels.

I must say, though I'm sure I will be in the minority, that I don't really like how everyone's sigs are turning into their DDP selections this year. I mean, this is the DL not the DDP. There's already a site where everyone's teams are (read: will soon be) listed, and that's here.

They even have this super-innovative feature where they put the team scores up! It's impressive stuff... and doesn't really require duplication here. On the DL. Which is a whole, different website. The two sites don't have different names and URLs for nothing.

I guess my feeling on the matter is: if I want to know how your team is doing on the DDP, I'll go onto the DDP website and check.

Oh, and on dead people chosen for 2007 - didn't Ruth Bernhard die towards the end of the year? If so, she's been chosen too.

Yes she did and her picture was on the main page under recent news for quite a bit too.

Anyone with less than 20 living candidates should just be disqualified as a time wasting arse.

... not just one team chose James Brown - loads did!

I do hope that all these who have blundered are not allowed to choose replacements like they did last year & just have to suffer the embarrassment of having less candidates. :rolleyes:

"Pushing Up The Daisies" selected Norah Baring, who has been dead since 1944. This is the 2nd year in a row that a team has chosen her as a DDP candidate. :o

Rotten Ali is up to no good too... :rolleyes:

I think he should confirm once & for all which Greg Page he chose & stick to it. Otherwise that will be cheating if he or anyone else claims points for the wrong Greg Page...

I have the same situation with one of my selections.

I selected the former Philadelphia 76ers NBA coach, Jack Ramsay for my team, but Jack Ramsay, the former Canadian Member of Parliament was listed instead.

I've been thinking about this.

Even if they're unfortunate in having named a team, then gone on hols, say, a replacement is still unfair as they will see who is on everyone's teams or have a head start for an illness in the next few days. I mean, I wish I'd chosen Kai Johansen now, so my feeling is IF they have a replacement for their dead person, then we should all have a replacement for our naffest pick.

FF, you should e-mail them. There's nothing wrong with pointing out it's the wrong candidate. I just hope all the Greg Page listees have the good grace to do the same.

One problem I have with the DDP is that it's difficult to know who is responsible for a particular team when DLers don't include their names. Then, just to add to the confusion, some choose to have different names on the HDP.

I can understand the desire to list choices in a post. It should always be remembered that the biggest motive underpinning posting on forums, blogging and everything else on the internet is ego. I don't mean to be disparaging in saying that. Everyone has an ego. We couldn't live without them. Sometimes, however, they can become a little inflated.

Given that there is nothing in winning the DDP other than a sense of pride within our little community I can't see much harm in listing picks or making the odd boast about your joint first place in the DDP. :rolleyes: This is particularly important for accute left-brainers who crave recognition and live most of their lives in the belief (correct) that no-one understands them.

My team isn't up yet, but I don't really expect any of them to die. Last year I had only one death, and that was pretty late on. I am so convinced of my bad luck that I have actually chosen my joker as the person I least want to die. I don't want him to die not because I like him particularly, but because I know that it will really piss off someone I know if they survive another year.

Unless entries had to be in earlier, maybe allow three subs rather than one?

More subs is one way to go, but how many? I lost three from my originally submitted list in late December, so it may have to be five. Given the number of entrants this year, that may be too much of an administrative burden.

There are also issues of reporting to consider. The death of Norman Mitchell-Innes was not widely reported before January 1, despite him dying on December 28. Before that, Swedish soprano Birgit Nilsson (who received numerous UK obits) did not receive death notices until the second week of January 2006, despite having died on or around Christmas Day 2005. The main problem is that the news slows down around Christmas and New Year, and some players (those with any friends left or family that recognise them) are more likely to have the occasional ten minutes away from their PC.

Other possibilities could include:

- Limiting people to only one team. There are people (stand up - yes you there - you know who you are) who submit more than one team. This, however, stands or falls on people's honesty.

- A different start date. The second week in January might provide for less madness. Okay, so it doesn't make for a neat year-end resolution, but it may help to smooth the process a little. Just a thought.

One final comment to Messrs. Kid and Baboon. Awesome job, lads. Well done.

Such links don't count in other scoring systems, if they did my man Michael Mayne would have earned me points in the CPDP on the basis of some Canadian papers linking to the UK news agencies.

Such links don't count in other scoring systems, if they did my man Michael Mayne would have earned me points in the CPDP on the basis of some Canadian papers linking to the UK news agencies.

For Gawd's sake MPFC when are you going to let Michael Mayne rest in peace? You picked him, you lost him. I have no sympathy with those who indulge in obscure people like snooker referees then bleat about it afterwards when their picks are, quite rightly, ignored in the mainstream media. You just can't let it lie.

Rotten Ali is up to no good too... :rolleyes:

The DL committee was never devious enough to pick a name shared by multiple famous people. Of course it's a total cheat, and is very much in the same vein as an "any one" pick.

Regardless, and in the interests of causing future havoc with our friends at DDP, can anyone think of any name shared by multiple famous people? One that springs to mind is Jason Williams, which is the name of no less than three US pro basketball players, although one of them changed his to Jay to lessen the confusion.

Apparently there are three other famous Jason Williams out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Williams

Someone put John Glen (director) into my dead pool and I had to check if they meant him or John Glenn (astronaut). They say they meant the astronaut but now I'm wondering if I gave them an easy way of changing a pick. The same person also put Richard Carpenter in but this time specified they meant the screenwriter and not the brother of the late Karen.