maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Kevin Ayres dead at the age of 69

Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone conveniently gave him a good send off, then, picking the first Soft Machine release as its featured album last Sunday. Still on iPlayer for those of you who haven't a clue who he was.

• Like 1

Kevin Ayres dead at the age of 68

Edited due to typo on age

And the name!

Big shame. His 1970 album with "the Whole World", which included a teenage Mike Oldfield is one of my favourite albums of all time... :(

Kevin Ayres dead at the age of 68

Edited due to typo on age

And the name!

Big shame. His 1970 album with "the Whole World", which included a teenage Mike Oldfield is one of my favourite albums of all time... :(

Oh yeah :) oh well. hehehe I should have copied and pasted the name

DJ Tommy Boy (link in Dutch) who did groundbreaking work in developing Jumpstyle, died from injuries from a car crash way back in November. Ever since the accident he was in a coma...

...which is the same state I'm in listening to Jumpstyle....

(Clearly a man who doesn't know his horror movies... That's a reworking of Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, used in the movie The Exorcist and not Candyman....)

Uriah Heep bassist and Spider From Mars Trevor Bolder underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer in January. He says he should be completely recovered in a few months...

Uriah Heep bassist and Spider From Mars Trevor Bolder underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer in January. He says he should be completely recovered in a few months...

He ought to hang onto himself...

Richard Street of the Temptations has died at 70.

http://www.freep.com...|text|FRONTPAGE

Jesus Christ, if it don't rain it pours....

(I Know) We're Losing Them

Was Johnny Hawksworth a member of Temptations?

Things coming in threes and that...

Daniel Darc, singer of 80s French synth band Taxi Girl (they toured over here with the Stranglers) est mort. Drink and drugs suspected.

Jewel Akens, one-hit wonder with The Birds & The Bees has died aged 79.

It reached Number 29 in the UK.

Once rumoured to be Anubis the Jackal, rock guitar god Alvin Lee has died.

Ten Years After; Six Feet Under.

I missed that one, who reckoned Anubis and Alvin Lee were one and the same? Having shifted beer with Anubis at a DL Con and paid good money to see Mr Lee I can confirm - other than both being white - there wasn't a noticable resemblance.

Pete Banks

Guitarist and founding member of "Yes" dead at 65. Also credited with coming up with the band's name, having up until then been called "Mabel Greer's Toyshop". Q: "Can anyone think of a better name?" A: "Yes".

Pete Banks

Guitarist and founding member of "Yes" dead at 65. Also credited with coming up with the band's name, having up until then been called "Mabel Greer's Toyshop". Q: "Can anyone think of a better name?" A: "Yes".

Another pop myth of my youth turns to dust! I was always brought up to believe that Yes were named after Yes Tor on Dartmoor (a wonderful place, where I have spent the odd discombobulated moment). Ah well, at least according to Wiki, Yes did feature the tor on the album artwork for Tormato.

Tormato.jpg

Irish rocker Christy Dignam, lead singer of Aslan, has been diagnosed with cancer after he received treatment for a suspected chest infection...

Pete Banks

Sad, we featured some stuff from his glorious odds n sods collection "Can I Play You Something?" on our radio show a few weeks back. Hugely under-rated IMHO.

Bobbie Smith (aka Bobby Smith)

One of the founding members of the (Detroit) Spinners has died aged 76.

Could have sworn I posted about Jason Molina, of early 00s buzzband Songs: Ohia, and his medical problems on this thread last year. Maybe I kept quiet because I wanted him as a pick. Doesn't matter anyway, because he's dead.