Godot

Mollie Sugden et al

4 hours ago, msc said:

That's a massive shock.... that he made it to 73 with his lifestyle.

Anyhow, quite often tipped for deadpooling success by one of our own on here: Toast? Handrejka?

A hit for me in my alternative 50 but not one that makes me happy. I was thinking about him not long, speculating he might do a Nicol Williamson, Jon Finch type thing and die a while before it's announced.

I used to quite fancy him which is odd considering he looked  a lot like our creepy history teacher who I didn't fancy at all.

2 hours ago, Handrejka said:

A hit for me in my alternative 50 but not one that makes me happy. I was thinking about him not long, speculating he might do a Nicol Williamson, Jon Finch type thing and die a while before it's announced.

I used to quite fancy him which is odd considering he looked  a lot like our creepy history teacher who I didn't fancy at all.

Me too Handy - ddp hit and one I'm nay overjoyed to have.

Shameful that Hywel Bennett doesn't have his own thread, he really was a fine actor.

Fun fact: The sitcom Shelley spanned the 70s, 80s & 90's, the only other uk sitcom to do so was Last of the Summer Wine.

• Like 2

Really out of the blue.Too young.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

For completeness:

Natural causes at 53?

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 23:29, Tempus Fugit said:

Shameful that Hywel Bennett doesn't have his own thread, he really was a fine actor.

Fun fact: The sitcom Shelley spanned the 70s, 80s & 90's, the only other uk sitcom to do so was Last of the Summer Wine.

And without him Mr Smiley would never have got Karla. Sorry. Haydon. Or both.

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

Natural causes at 53?

Probably cancer or heart problems.Could even be MS or MND she hadn't been in the public eye for a while now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sean said:

Probably cancer or heart problems.Could even be MS or MND she hadn't been in the public eye for a while now.

That's not what I would call "natural causes". 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Phantom said:

That's not what I would call "natural causes". 

Natural causes just covers anything that isn't murder suicide or related to an accident.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sean said:

Natural causes just covers anything that isn't murder suicide or related to an accident.

Natural causes usually covers what was previously referred to as "old age", if the cause of death is something else, then that's usually noted as being the case on the death certificate. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Phantom said:

Natural causes usually covers what was previously referred to as "old age", if the cause of death is something else, then that's usually noted as being the case on the death certificate. 

Sean's right though.  Cancer and other diseases are all 'natural'.  They're saying natural causes because they don't want to go into details, but those details will of course be entered on the death certificate.  Formal obituaries in newspapers often don't mention the actual cause of death, presumably out of discretion. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Phantom said:

I'm on board with this totally.  Keep on him, Phantom.  Other interpretations are insulting to my intelligence.  e.g. Kapoor just died of a heart attack.  That ain't natural causes, that's a heart attack. 
SC

• Like 1

"What was previously referred to as old age" was often likely to involve dementia, also described as senility. Now seen as an illness or disease.

As for heart attacks, any kind of organ failure is natural causes - unless it's been directly caused by an outside event, accident or trauma.  It's the body breaking down or wearing out.  That's natural, or people would live forever.

There's a grey area when someone suffers a fatal stroke or heart attack associated with a traumatic accident such as a fall. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

That pretty much spells it out, although there are two mistakes in the article.

"the coroner works extensively on every body to find the cause of death, regardless of whether that death is thought to be suspicious."

That should say pathologist.  They are using 'coroner' in its US sense there.

And a really bad mistake:

"Liz Dawn, who died of an aggressive form of lung cancer called Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease."

COPD is not lung cancer!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

That pretty much spells it out, although there are two mistakes in the article.

"the coroner works extensively on every body to find the cause of death, regardless of whether that death is thought to be suspicious."

That should say pathologist.  They are using 'coroner' in its US sense there.

And a really bad mistake:

"Liz Dawn, who died of an aggressive form of lung cancer called Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease."

COPD is not lung cancer!

That's fairly standard for the Metro.

14 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

That's fairly standard for the Metro.

Yes. 

They're right about natural causes though.  :P

The biggest mistake is the article existing in the first place. I mean why does the metro have to make a news article telling us what natural causes are? Do they think their readers are too stupid to know what it is? 

Because you clicked on it.

That's always the answer to "why did this website write this article?". Conversely, when you ask "why isn't this website talking about x issue?", it's because nobody would click on and read it.

7 hours ago, Toast said:

"What was previously referred to as old age" was often likely to involve dementia, also described as senility. Now seen as an illness or disease.

As for heart attacks, any kind of organ failure is natural causes - unless it's been directly caused by an outside event, accident or trauma.  It's the body breaking down or wearing out.  That's natural, or people would live forever.

There's a grey area when someone suffers a fatal stroke or heart attack associated with a traumatic accident such as a fall. 

I know of such an incident.A friend of mines grandmother died trying to move a plant pot in her garden and was found the next day by neighbours. it had been freezing cold in the night so no one was initially sure whether she froze to death after she fell or whether she was already dead.Hence to say the family were distraught at thinking she had frozen to death.When the post mortem was carried out it was found she had a massive heart attack that caused her to die instantly.

Remember letters? You know, the things you got through letterboxes with stamps, not franks, on? Yes, stamps...still used for cards, especially at Christmas.

Anyway, getting to the point, there's to be a new set of stamps issued with some of the cast of Dad's Army with their catchphrases: https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/973078/dads-army-platoon-new-posting-stamp-royal-bbc-tv

Talking of which, form watchers may wish to huckle themselves down to The Bell Inn, Thetford, Norfolk on July 21, when Frank Williams (Rev Timothy Farthing) will unveil a blue plaque there. It was the hotel used by the cast and crew while filming on location. http://www.chortle.co.uk/other-news/2018/06/12/40217/dads_army_gets_a_blue_plaque

• Like 1

Happy birthday to sitcom stars Robert Lindsay, Paula Wilcox and Karl Howman! :birthday:

• Like 1

I shall say this only once this year - happy birthdays to Vicki Michelle and Miranda Hart. :birthday:

• Like 2