maryportfuncity

Old Folkies Home

Folkie David Fisher, singer and founding member of The Highwaymen, has died at the age of 70 :D . Their song "Michael" spent one week at the top of the UK charts in 1961.

• Like 1

BBC Four begins a three-part series cheekily entitled Folk America on 23rd Jan, with the opening edition looking at the beginnings of recorded folk/blues in the late 1920s. As well as featuring some bloody great music and being an interesting history lesson, it also has interviews with at least three musicians that were around then and are still around now: guitarist Slim Bryant, banjoist Wade Mainer (both centenarians) and delta bluesman Blind Lemon Pie David 'Honeyboy' Edwards, a mere stripling of 94.

Slim Bryant has died at the age of 101. He was the last living person to have recorded with Jimmie Rogers, one of the pioneers of country music, who died in 1933.

Tam White

The Scottish bluesy / folksy type, actor and stonemason has died aged 68.

...then of course Joan Baez is still with us and still performing (hopefully for a long long time to come :) ).

Joan Baez is "resting comfortably" at an undisclosed location after falling 20 feet to the ground from her treehouse. :lol:

quote...

1960s songbird Joan Baez is "resting comfortably" at an undisclosed location after falling 20 feet to the ground from a treehouse—a treehouse she purposely had built without walls because she wanted to sleep among real birds at her home.

What was she up to?

Just 'cus she's a "bird", it doesn't follow that she can sleep in a tree!

Or is she trying to better Keith Richards?

Maybe she's a tree hugger, who is losing her grip!

Do old dead birds fall out of trees?

Maybe was tweeting about Zsa Zsa falling out of bed!

Pretty apt really. Most people thought she was off her tree :lol:

...then of course Joan Baez is still with us and still performing (hopefully for a long long time to come :) ).

Joan Baez is "resting comfortably" at an undisclosed location after falling 20 feet to the ground from her treehouse. :lol:

quote...

1960s songbird Joan Baez is "resting comfortably" at an undisclosed location after falling 20 feet to the ground from a treehouse—a treehouse she purposely had built without walls because she wanted to sleep among real birds at her home.

What was she up to?

Have you been at the sauce? Practicing for tomorrow! (I'm aware I've probably spelt practicing wrong but I'm the wrong side of two bottles of Hock!)

quote...

What was she up to?

Have you been at the sauce? Practicing for tomorrow! (I'm aware I've probably spelt practicing wrong but I'm the wrong side of two bottles of Hock!)

Shame that you are putting away all that vino and not using it as a practice session for tomorrow. We will miss you Lardy.

Still the rest will have fun and games with this one... I've been off the booze for the last month. You know.. try and let the old liver recover... so I'm sure to handle the excessive amount of beer quite badley.

Val Doonican documentary just airing on BBC Radio Two, the 83 year old sounds noticably doddery, lacking a bit of strength in the old voice these days.

Rabble rousing American folkie (and lawyer) Anne Feeney is sadly suffering from lung cancer.

annefeeneycd.jpg

Anne Feeney has MAC (a nasty sounding version of TB) and requires lengthy medication for that, but her last PET scan showed no cancer.

Though, according to her, "80% of small cell lung cancer patients who have made it as far as I have and as well as I have will still get a recurrence of the cancer within two years -- and the new tumors will not respond to treatment. So, it'll really be October of 2012 before I can say I've taken a big step out of the woods."

On a related topic, DDT, you bringing her name up in December introduced a lot of the folkies I know to her music, so thanks!

Norma Waterson, practically folk royalty, has been in very poor health recently - I got this off a Yahoo newsgroup, but I can't link to it:

11th January: Norma Waterson has been dangerously, severely ill since early November. She had an abcess on her lower leg which turned into septicemia, and has been in ICU for these past two months. She has regained consciousness, but is still on a ventilator, getting blood transfusions, and unable to sit up for any length of time. She is understandably very weak and discouraged....

Edit - Also, although I have no links to back this up, I am reliably informed that Norma's brother and fellow folkie Mike Waterson underwent chemotherapy for cancer last year. I don't know what sort of cancer it was, or if he has recovered or not.

Folkie David Fisher, singer and founding member of The Highwaymen, has died at the age of 70 ;) . Their song "Michael" spent one week at the top of the UK charts in 1961.

Gil Robbins

Another member of The Highwaymen has died aged 80. He was the father of the actor Tim Robbins.

Folkie David Fisher, singer and founding member of The Highwaymen, has died at the age of 70 :o . Their song "Michael" spent one week at the top of the UK charts in 1961.

Gil Robbins

Another member of The Highwaymen has died aged 80. He was the father of the actor Tim Robbins.

... to be followed 12 days later by his wife, musician Mary Robbins

Norma Waterson, practically folk royalty, has been in very poor health recently - I got this off a Yahoo newsgroup, but I can't link to it:

11th January: Norma Waterson has been dangerously, severely ill since early November. She had an abcess on her lower leg which turned into septicemia, and has been in ICU for these past two months. She has regained consciousness, but is still on a ventilator, getting blood transfusions, and unable to sit up for any length of time. She is understandably very weak and discouraged....

Edit - Also, although I have no links to back this up, I am reliably informed that Norma's brother and fellow folkie Mike Waterson underwent chemotherapy for cancer last year. I don't know what sort of cancer it was, or if he has recovered or not.

On Radio 2's folk show tonight, Martin Carthy spoke about the health of his wife, Norma Waterson and his brother in law, Mike Waterson. Norma is making a gradual recovery from her bout of septicemia although she is still in hospital. However he revealed Mike Waterson has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. :ninja:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b010xyjz (Health discussion is at 23 minutes, if you can't face a whole hour of hardcore folk)

Anne Feeney has a tumour at the back of her head but no TB.

Her pal Jon Fromer, a fellow folk singer/songwriter, has been diagnosed with stomach cancer though.

Calypso singing all round sensitive sort Cy Grant is still blogging and working a few weeks short of his 90th birthday.

Deffo obit-worthy when age finally catches up with him.

he died 4 months after that post but it was never mentioned

Calypso singing all round sensitive sort Cy Grant is still blogging and working a few weeks short of his 90th birthday.

Deffo obit-worthy when age finally catches up with him.

he died 4 months after that post but it was never mentioned

Yes iain (or whoever you may be), it was.

On Radio 2's folk show tonight, Martin Carthy spoke about the health of his wife, Norma Waterson and his brother in law, Mike Waterson. Norma is making a gradual recovery from her bout of septicemia although she is still in hospital. However he revealed Mike Waterson has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b010xyjz (Health discussion is at 23 minutes, if you can't face a whole hour of hardcore folk)

Mike Waterson has died. :wacko::lol:

his singing can't have been that bad for someone to shoot him surely!

seriously though,these people really are the lowest form of scum

his singing can't have been that bad for someone to shoot him surely!

seriously though,these people really are the lowest form of scum

While I'm not exactly a fan of folk music, I reserve the words "lowest form of scum" for sales managers, politicians, child psychologists, traffic wardens, bailiffs and telemarketeers. Oh, and rappers.

regards,

Hein

While I'm not exactly a fan of folk music, I reserve the words "lowest form of scum" for sales managers, politicians, child psychologists, traffic wardens, bailiffs and telemarketeers. Oh, and rappers.

Corporate CEOs, CFOs and CIOs, along with anyone who drives a Lexus in Dallas.