Mr Stats

World's Oldest

I believe the oldest woman in America...and hence the oldest woman in America has died. But as I'm a bit drunk I can't remember her name.

It was Bettie Wilson,said to be 115 years.

Latimes.com

Is this the most pretentious newspaper ever ?

Definately the lick the brown starfish award .

I believe the oldest woman in America...and hence the oldest woman in America has died. But as I'm a bit drunk I can't remember her name.

Latimes.com

hmmmm...oldest woman hence the oldest woman, I think I meant oldest women hence oldest person...

I'm hearing news that Bettie Wilson's successor, Susie Gibson, has died less than 72 hours after her predecessor, but I can't find the news link anywhere other than Wikipedia...

My father-in-law and brother-in-law must be kicking themselves as they have Maria Esther de Capovilla and Lizzie Bolden on their DP lists :)

I've already argued that they shouldn't be allowed as longevity doesn't really earn you celebrity status.

Latimes.com

hmmmm...oldest woman hence the oldest woman, I think I meant oldest women hence oldest person...

Lizzie Bolden is actually the oldest woman / person in America. She was at one point listed as the oldest in the world until they discovered Maria Esther de Capovilla and she had her birth certificate to prove it

This makes me proud to be Scottish. Old

shame the link is old though.

slightly newer link. Guinness

My father-in-law and brother-in-law must be kicking themselves as they have Maria Esther de Capovilla and Lizzie Bolden on their DP lists :lol:

I've already argued that they shouldn't be allowed as longevity doesn't really earn you celebrity status.

I don't agree at all. Living to 117 or so is a much more significant achievement than a lot of "celebrities".

My father-in-law and brother-in-law must be kicking themselves as they have Maria Esther de Capovilla and Lizzie Bolden on their DP lists :lol:

I don't agree at all. Living to 117 or so is a much more significant achievement than a lot of "celebrities".

Although it is a significant achievement, it does not make you a celebrity in the true sense of the word.

The whole arguement is not about celebrity, but the fame gained from the achievement of supercentenarian status.

Although it is a significant achievement, it does not make you a celebrity in the true sense of the word.

The whole arguement is not about celebrity, but the fame gained from the achievement of supercentenarian status.

Even then it still wouldn't be acceptable for DL

That's what I was trying to say. :lol:

My father-in-law and brother-in-law must be kicking themselves as they have Maria Esther de Capovilla and Lizzie Bolden on their DP lists <_<

Of course you're a true celebrity. A celebrity is celebrated. Who's more celebrated than someone who's had 117 birthday parties?

Rich people. <_<:(

According to genarians.com, Flossie Page, the world's 11th oldest person has died, though I can't find any confirmation among news sites just yet...

I'd be surprised if you do. "World's 11th oldest person dies" isn't that exciting a headline bar her local area.

Paul, Genarians get their info from www.grg.org who decide who is oldest etc, so you can take it as read they are dead if they come up on the Genarians site.

Guest Camille Loiseau

It's a bit of a bummer being born in 1891 but only being 5th oldest!

Not really.

I would imagine they don't know what day it is let alone their position in the age world ranking. :D

I am the world's 5th oldest person & I don't like your insinuations young man. I am completely compos mentis and a regular visitor to this fine interweb page.

I'd be surprised if you do. "World's 11th oldest person dies" isn't that exciting a headline bar her local area.

Paul, Genarians get their info from www.grg.org who decide who is oldest etc, so you can take it as read they are dead if they come up on the Genarians site.

Yeah. It appears she only made Wikipedia by the skin of her teeth. 2 weeks less and she wouldn't have outdone the Kansas longevity record, and hence would have been non-notable.

I can't wait for our generation to get that old because we have such accurate records of vital statistics. Unfortunately (please see the thread regarding living to 100) I will not be there. But it's nice to think Deathlisters of the distant future will be able to bet on my contemporaries with some degree of accuracy regarding age.

Flossie Page the 12th Oldest person in the world died a couple of days ago at the "young" age of 112

Maria Esther de Capovilla is still going strong though.

Flossie Page the 12th Oldest person in the world died a couple of days ago at the "young" age of 112

Yes, that's who we were discussing above. :(

• Like 1