themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

Aussie socialite, Lady Susan Renouf has cancer which is, "already much progressed."

Good catch.

On a totally unrelated subject, I was thinking of a number of Australian travel show/outback exploration types who are quite elderly now. With Steve Irwin, Mike Leyland and Malcolm Douglas all passing away over the last decade, it is probably time for another one of these guys to go:

Outback adventurer, television personality, four wheel drive guru and bush artist Jack Absalom was born in 1927.

Outback adventurer, television personality, folk musician and former Administrator of the Northern Territory Ted Egan was born in 1932.

Naturalist, television personality, and environmental consultant for big oil companies Harry Butler was born in 1930.

Now for the Rolf Harris connections: Harry Butler co-wrote Sun Arise with Rolf in 1961, whilst Ted Egan introduced him to Two Little Boys in 1969...

Davey do you remember Troy Dann? kind of a crazier Steve Erwin type, never really made it big though and lives in relative obscurity, courtesy of the Russell Coight spoof.

Had forgotten about him! That Ben Dark guy on Getaway was in the same vein.

Of course, Alby Mangels was the maddest of them all though... That loon was a walking disaster area: multiple car accidents including the one where Judy Green was left with head injuries, boat burnt down, pet dog shot, best friend (Piers Soutier) left a quadriplegic... Even his own fan club web site says he is cursed.

Here is an article on Mad Alby for international readers: http://www.heraldsun...f-1111114899819

Chris Conroy (the boating and leisure show chap) is another long-forgotten, old-time television show host who is really showing his age these days:

Chris_Conroy_2.JPG

is Mrs.Mangel (or the woman who played her) from Neighbours still knocking about?

is Mrs.Mangel (or the woman who played her) from Neighbours still knocking about?

Yes!

Do you not know about Google*? I find it a really useful resource..

*Other search engines are available.

• Like 1

Peter Harvey has pancreatic cancer. :(

He was diagnosed last october so by now he's either recovering or on the brink of death I would imagine

They are doing a special television interview with him tomorrow night looking over his career, so I'd say things aren't too good. He looks fairly haggard on the ad for it.

He was diagnosed last october so by now he's either recovering or on the brink of death I would imagine

They are doing a special television interview with him tomorrow night looking over his career, so I'd say things aren't too good. He looks fairly haggard on the ad for it.

It looks like the folks that picked him for DDP will be seeing if he nets the obit or not pretty soon - he has days to live.

It looks like the folks that picked him for DDP will be seeing if he nets the obit or not pretty soon - he has days to live.

Yes, the PM interrupted a press conference to send him her condolences today, so it seems the end is near.

Was just about to start an Aussie related thread with a 'down under' pun. Thankfully saw this thread at the last second and avoided ridicule.

Checking on my DDP picks today and noticed the end is near for Mr Harvey. Seriously hope he doesn't suffer too much.

Anyway, moving on. With him and Van Cliburn it promises to be a bountiful time.

He used to work for the Guardian so a Guardian Obit is guaranteed

The Guardian being a bit slow with their Peter Harvey obit.

I'm getting ever so slightly worried now. Surely he will get some kind of Obit from the UK papers???

Had Peter Harvey in my team until the last minute, decided he wouldn't get an obituary (although I was worried about his Guardian links)....let's hope I'm proved right but think I've probably made an error

He won reporter of the year while at the Guardian. That must warrant an Obit although stranger things have happened.

My luck with Aussie picks over the years has been bad. See my DDP 2007 Joker pick Stan Zemanek.