maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

Forgive my grammar but

Cloths for ears?

Godot is in the early stages of dementia. How can you compare fabric with the second sense? It's like comparing leather chairs to conversations, it's incomprehensible.

Cloth ears. Banshees Scream.

• Like 1

Well Godot it's certainly a phrase that I've heard 'for the first time'. I guess you learn something different everyday.

But it's not like that is a phrase people frequently use.

Now getting back on topic ... Norman Mailer (already mentioned) who has been visiting the hospital lately and most commonly recognized for writing 'The Naked and the Dead (1948)' and 'The Executioner's Song (1979)' is probable ............

Studs Terkel the ninety five year old is most recognized for his books of oral history, including "Hard Times", "Working", and "The Good War", he's considered a symbol of the city of Chicago

Philip José Farmer the eighty nine year old author who has won 'three Hugo awards' for science fiction writing is another possible candidate.

And then you have a list of journalists that hit the floor ...

I reckon the downward arc of the life of Edward Upward might occur before any of those in the post above snuff it.

Yer man is 104 according to his Wiki page. He'd be a shoe in for DDP points.

Edward_Upward_portrait.jpg

Steady Eddie!

He'd be a shoe in for DDP points.

A shoe in for DDP points? How about a shoe in to the museum of ancient artifacts. If Edward Upward 'was a shoe' I would sell him and put him on display. 104 years old (Holy f****n Hell!)

By the way another author is ninety two year old Herman Wouk who wrote 'The Winds of War" and various other books.

Then here we have eighty eight year old Lawrence Ferlinghetti who is a beat poet and owner of the City Lights Bookstore in San Fran -- Cisco.

Also at eighty five years of age is Helen Gurley Brown who is described as being an influential editor of "Cosmopolitan" magazine for many years, author of 'Sex and the Single Girl'

Now after doing some research tonight 'not counting authors' we certainly have breathing room for upcoming selections and I seriously think 2008 can be a record breaking year.

... I can't say it was the most hardcore footage that I've ever seen in my life but I know that the chick in the white gown is not somebody who you want to hear ten minutes after you wake up in the morning. Listening to that woman is like a clock ticking -a chalk board screeching - a radio functioning - Ellen sobbing - all in one. The second sense is hearing and only if we could all go deaf at a chosen minute and then turn hearing back on just as a light switch can be turned on - I would enjoy hearing more. . . Only if.

Heard a discussion on radio that mentioned Ian Allan is still alive. Published his first notable book about trains in 1942 and founded a small publishing dynasty, so an obit beckons, as and when.

Alan Sillitoe has been mentioned before, but he has not been well and although upbeat, he is nearly 80. Worth considering perhaps, if only for a 1 in 7 chance of being able to use, 'Saturday night and Sunday mourning'. Or, if discovered several days after death, having collapsed while preparing a meal, 'A kitchen stink drama'. etc etc.

And he was born in Nottingham. No, he raleigh, raleigh was.

TERRY PRATCHETT HAS ALZHEIMERS ...

Pratchett remains optimistic he can write several more novels before his disease develops further.

Pratchett published his latest book Making Money — the 36th novel in the Discworld series - in September and recently completed a U.S. promotional tour for the book.

Despite his diagnoses, Pratchett reassured fans "I am not dead" and not to fear the worst just yet.

He said: "I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell.

"I know it's a very human thing to say 'Is there anything I can do', but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry."

Terry, who lives in Salisbury, Wiltshire with his wife Lyn, was treated for high blood pressure four years ago and had heart surgery after suffering angina attacks a year later.

Pratchett received an OBE for services to British literature nine years ago.

More than 500,000 people suffer from Alzheimer's in Britain. Although some drugs can slow its onset, there is no cure.

Re the above, it would be - kind of - ironic if instead of degenerating into a world where he kept thinking he was a kid he vanished into a blur of confusion where he believed he WAS in Discworld.

TERRY PRATCHETT HAS ALZHEIMERS ...

Pratchett remains optimistic he can write several more novels before his disease develops further.

Pratchett published his latest book Making Money — the 36th novel in the Discworld series - in September and recently completed a U.S. promotional tour for the book.

Despite his diagnoses, Pratchett reassured fans "I am not dead" and not to fear the worst just yet.

He said: "I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell.

"I know it's a very human thing to say 'Is there anything I can do', but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry."

Terry, who lives in Salisbury, Wiltshire with his wife Lyn, was treated for high blood pressure four years ago and had heart surgery after suffering angina attacks a year later.

Pratchett received an OBE for services to British literature nine years ago.

More than 500,000 people suffer from Alzheimer's in Britain. Although some drugs can slow its onset, there is no cure.

I guess that would explain why he keeps repeating himself in each of his novels

Alan Sillitoe on Radio 4 this morning, his voice sounded old but his mind is clearly still in the game, clear thinking, good arguments and discussion of his forthcoming novel.

Mollie Hunter, b 1922 and still alive according to Wikipedia. Nowt on the state of her 86 year old body.

Return to India for controversial author Taslima Nasreen. She's hacked off many people, but violent death would still be a long shot....though regarded as an inspired pick if it scored points for anyone.

Writer David Foster Wallace has been found dead in his Southern California home. Looks like he decided to hang himself. <_<

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,422242,00.html

He must have been forced to re-read Infinite Jest.

Actually, it's a decent read if you have a spare few months.

The final page has been turned for top literary agent and Julian Barnes's wife, Pat Kavanagh.

One of the most famous contemporary Russian writers, Vasily Aksyonov, 76, remains in critical condition after suffering a stroke in January. No recent link in English but it is reported here that the left hemisphere of his brain is dead, and he will never be able to walk again. Potential candidate for 2009.

One of the most famous contemporary Russian writers, Vasily Aksyonov, 76, remains in critical condition after suffering a stroke in January. No recent link in English but it is reported here that the left hemisphere of his brain is dead, and he will never be able to walk again. Potential candidate for 2009.

Not sure about his UK obit chances, anyone else be able to make an intelligent guess on that?

• Like 1