themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

"The Scots...?"

What all of them, or just those few who were fortunate enough to be granted titles by the Monarch?

Where the independent country of England allowed for Cromwell to become Head of State, the Scots chose to retain the monarchy under Charles II.

Those who mattered in Scottish society in the 17th Century, so yes - mainly the nobility. The Episcopalians were also keen to see the Restoration of monarchy given their belief in divine right. The made up a substantial proportion of the northern population. Lastly, the Presbyterians were keen on the retaining the monarchy if their religious practices were secured. Their problem was with Charles I, not the monarchy. You must not forget that the early Presbyterian kirk had previously removed another monarch in favour of another in 1567.

So although the decision was taken at elite level, there was no popular demand for an end to monarchy.

Anyway, regardless of who chose the Head of State, it doesn't remove the fact that the two nations were - at that point - both independent of each other.

• Like 1

This being my point. The English Revolution was the point at which ordinary people at last started to matter, yes even if the leaders and beneficiaries were the gentry. See The Putney Debates where the rank and file of the New Model Army were allowed to discuss how the new society would develop.

Those who mattered in Scottish society in the 17th Century, so yes - mainly the nobility. .
  • Like 1

This being my point. The English Revolution was the point at which ordinary people at last started to matter, yes even if the leaders and beneficiaries were the gentry. See The Putney Debates where the rank and file of the New Model Army were allowed to discuss how the new society would develop.

Those who mattered in Scottish society in the 17th Century, so yes - mainly the nobility. .

The people already had some degree of power in Scotland before the English revolution. The Crown was weakend due to the 'revolutions' of 1560 and 1567 where the Kirk institutions gained influence and power. The 'rank and file' of the Kirk congregations did discuss how church society would develop due to the bottom up elective structure. The Kirk practically created a second Scots Parliament in the General Assemblies.

Incidently the General Assembly stopped meeting after 1653 for some reason... (Not that Charles II was any better for then when he took over from Cromwell).

• Like 1

Personally I prefer the Levellers ;-)

• Like 2

So why did they blow it by allowing the restoration? Cromwell was a great man but needed to do more to maintain the republic. He wasn't quite ruthless enough. Perhaps he should have borrowed Edinburgh's guillotine and sorted out a few more of the aristos. Charles II didn't mess about hunting down those who had condemned his father to death. In some ways the English revolution was a bit too early before the democratic model had been fully worked out. It's a pity the Chartists couldn't organise themselves as a revolutionary movement so we didn't have to be stuck with the monarchy we have now. All that bloodshed and we let them back in.

• Like 1

Charles II didn't mess about hunting down those who had condemned his father to death.

Including Cromwell himself. :blink:

• Like 1

Quite frankly, I don't like the way this thread about death anniversaries has turned

into a debate about contentious figures in British constitutional history and I will not stand for it..........

....today is the Anniversary of the death of Guy Fawkes :blink:

GuyFawkes.jpg

• Like 2

Charles II didn't mess about hunting down those who had condemned his father to death.

Including Cromwell himself. :)

And one of my ancestors! :blink:

• Like 1

Including Cromwell himself. :)

And one of my ancestors! :blink:

He employed one of mine.

• Like 1

'Old Stone Face', Buster Keaton died today in 1966...

250px-BusterKeaton.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sid-vicious1.jpg

30 years since this knob died.

• Like 1

sid-vicious1.jpg

Cock 'n Roll man, Cock 'n Roll...

• Like 1

Cock 'n Roll man, Cock 'n Roll...

F@ck....do I feel old.... :unsure:

• Like 1

Including Cromwell himself. :unsure:

Old Wart Face had already snuffed it, so they just dug up his corpse and hanged it on Tyburn Tree to make sure that it was really dead.

• Like 1

This isn't a death anniversary as such, but it's interesting that the 30th Anniversary of what in retrospect

is one the most important geo-political events since the Second World War has garnered little attention in the media...

I wonder why? :unsure:

The Iranian Revolution

• Like 1

Today was the day the music died....

buddy-holly-crop.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Possibly the greatest day in British history. I intend raising a glass to Mr Cromwell tonight.

Go one step further - buy one of his death masks.

• Like 1

Joe Meek, legendary record producer, blew his brains out forty two years ago today. He killed his landlady before turning the gun on himself.

From Wiki:

He passed up the chance to work with David Bowie, the Beatles (the latter he once described as "just another bunch of noise, copying other people's music") and Rod Stewart. John Repsch, in The Legendary Joe Meek recounts that upon hearing Stewart sing, Meek rushed into the studio, put his fingers in his ears and screamed until Stewart had left. :unsure:
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thought I'd get in before everyone else. 4th February 1983 saw the death of Karen Carpenter.

Here she is, aged just 18, in her first television performance from 1968. Funny thing is the clothes she wears in this don't look as ridiculous as some of the stuff she wore in the 70s and 80s. Clip is only about 80 seconds long so those that don't like tem, you don't have to suffer too much.

• Like 1

Alex Harvey also died today in 1982

sahbnext.jpg

• Like 1

Also Liberace.

He was gay don't you know...

• Like 1

And nobodys mentioned Norman Wisdoms 94th birthday

er.......

1. He's not dead. Yet.

2. Handrejka has on the requisite Norman Wisdom thread...

Carry on...

• Like 1

And nobodys mentioned Norman Wisdoms 94th birthday

er.......

1. He's not dead. Yet.

2. Handrejka has on the requisite Norman Wisdom thread...

Carry on...

1. I know, but isn't this the 94th anniversary of his birth?

2. I know, but I read this thread first.

Carrying on :)

• Like 1