Pagad Ultimo

The Cardinals Of The Roman Catholic Church

As of January 12, 2010, there are 182 Cardinals and 70 of them are 80 years old and older. I think they deserve separate topic (up to now, I have posted cardinals' death news in From Cleric to Relic topic).

In 2009, eight of the Roman Cardinals died, namely Pio Laghi, Stéphanos II Ghattas, Stephen Kim Sou-hwan, Paul-Joseph Pham Ðinh Tung, Umberto Betti, Jean Margéot, Peter Seiichi Shirayanagi, and Cahal Brendan Daly (all were non-electors, ie. those older than eighty years who lost their right to participate in conclaves).

The 2010 Cardinal Death Count started on January 9 when Cardinal Armand-Gaétan Razafindratandra, former archbishop of Antananarivo, Madagascar died, aged 84.

• Like 1

As of January 12, 2010, they are 182 and 70 of them are 80 years old and older.

We should go for the ones who are 182 then, they can't have long left.

So does every post here work out around 5 hail Mary's per word?

Guest Guest
So does every post here work out around 5 hail Mary's per word?

I imagine Banshees Cream might have to partake in a bit of this were he to post.

The eldest of them, 98-years old Paul Cardinal Mayer is on my DDP-team, and he turned out to be a unique pick. I'll pray as many Hail Mary's as you like if he snuffs it in 2010...

Good thread. :rolleyes::D

A couple more, who I'm sure have been mentioned before on DL, worth keeping an eye on:

Conclave elector Cardinal Varkey Vithayathil, the leader of India's three million Syro-Malabar Catholics, is supposed to be very ill with heart problems.

Cardinal Paul Shan Kuo-hsi of China was too long in the tooth to have a say in the election of our current Pope. His Eminence is now 86 and believed to be suffering from lung cancer.

Cardinal Brady, Head of the Catholic Church in Ireland, is in hospital recovering from a heart attack.

Possibly due to the strain of the child sex abuse scandal? He is almost 15 years younger than the Pope...

Guest Davy Jones' Locker
Cardinal Brady, Head of the Catholic Church in Ireland, is in hospital recovering from a heart attack.

Possibly due to the strain of the child sex abuse scandal? He is almost 15 years younger than the Pope...

Thanks. Missed that one.

I am starting to suspect that a number of senior cardinals will die very soon from gangrene or blood loss from continually shooting themselves in the foot, such as the latest comments from this weirdo Bishop that it is all just a great big Zionist conspiracy:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/f...icle7095471.ece

:)

The Vatican is so inept this is becoming a farce.

Guest Davy Jones' Locker

While we are at it, still so much anger being directed at Pope his childhood home was vandalised overnight:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/a...ome-vandalized/

Also, an expose on more Vatican corruption and cover-ups, including links to Pinochet's old mate, Cardinal Sodano (the same bloke who repeated the "petty gossip" comment last week):

http://ncronline.org/news/accountability/h...uilt-his-empire

Should be here.

My comment was suggesting that, if the Cardinals are feeling the strain, how must the elderly Pope be feeling.

Thus it may qualify for this thread...no? Oh well - worth a try...

Should be here.

My comment was suggesting that, if the Cardinals are feeling the strain, how must the elderly Pope be feeling.

Thus it may qualify for this thread...no? Oh well - worth a try...

Ah okay. Thought it worthwhile information enough to be posted in the cardinals' tread. It's so rare to have an ailing elector cardinal (under 80 years and able to elect and be elected).

Edited by Magere Hein
Last six posts moved from Pope benedict topic

Cardinal Tomáš Špidlík, a famous theologian, philosopher and writer, died on April 17, aged 90.

The eldest of them, 98-years old Paul Cardinal Mayer is on my DDP-team, and he turned out to be a unique pick. I'll pray as many Hail Mary's as you like if he snuffs it in 2010...

Blessed art thou amongst dead poolers, assuming he gets a UK obit.

Yes, Catholically confirmed.

Ersilio Tonini is the oldest now, at 97.

Hip hip hurray!!

:rolleyes:

It was about time, I had a good start with Miep Gies and Zelda Rubinstein, but things had gone a little bit too quiet lately.

(Hmm, no obit yet... I have no worries, though, as child molesters clericals have been hotly debated lately. Surely the fact that the most ancient of them has finally been called to the great kindergarten in the sky will generate some press coverage?)

Cardinal Luigi Poggi, Archivist and Librarian of the Holy Roman Church has died on May 4, aged 92.

• Like 1

Guest Davy Jones' Locker
See Oct 12 - near miss for Cardinal Gabriel Zubeir Wako, when an assassin tried to knife him in Khartoum:

http://www2.fiu.edu/~mirandas/additions-10.htm

It must be open season on Roman Catholic Cardinals - they have updated that site with ANOTHER entry for October 12th to say that there was an attempt to shoot one Cardinal Oscar Maradiaga in the Honduras last Sunday:

http://www2.fiu.edu/~mirandas/additions-10.htm

"... was shot at last Sunday October 10, 2010; a spokesman for the Church in Honduras is not classifying the attack as an assassination attempt." :deathban:

Guest WEP

New cardinals announced.

This one won't stay for too long, or?

Guest Davey Jones' Locker
New cardinals announced.

This one won't stay for too long, or?

The - admittedly very eccentric - amateur Vatican watcher, Anura Guruge, is speculating that one of the cardinals may be seriously ill, since Ratzinger appointed one extra cardinal under 80 years of age that will exceed the 120 cardinal limit. Last time Ratzi did that, another cardinal died shortly afterwards from a terminal illness, so there is a precedent:

http://popes-and-papacy.com/wordpress/?p=1223

By the way, just when the Vatican is starting to pull off a few PR wins after its self-inflicted disasters of the last few years, along comes the Archbishop of Brussels to say that AIDS is an "inherent justice:" :)

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1388137...AIDS-is-justice

What is the bet this turkey will be made a cardinal next time?

I have gathered health information about some of the cardinal electors (those under 80 years of age). Sorted by date of birth:

Joseph Zen Ze-Kiun, Chinese, born 1932. Has had major heart surgery and been the recipient of a pacemaker.

Edward Egan, American, born 1932. Has heart problems.

Godfried Danneels, Belgian, born 1933. Has heart problems.

Ivan Dias, Indian, born 1936. Rumoured to have diabetes, which he has denied.

Sean Brady, Irish, born 1939. Had mild heart attack early this year (mentioned previously in this thread.)

Angelo Scola, Italian, born 1941. Suffers from nervous depression and head aches.

Jean Louis Tauran, French, born 1943. Mild Parkinson's Disease.

Hope this helps... Sounds like Zen Ze Kiun is the most sick but Scola's nervous depression may screw his chances of ever becoming pope (since some websites and Vatican watchers list him as one of the front-runners for the job.)

One more:

Angelo Comastri, Italian, born 1943. Suffered from a "grave cardiac illness" in 1994 that was serious enough to make him resign his bishopric for two years.

Evidently he has recovered well as he is also a considered in the running to be the next pope.

Back in February, Australia's Cardinal George Pell-dophile (born 1941) was apparently rushed to hospital with a heart problem. The reports were later denied:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/natio...f-1225826892439

If you read the comments here:

http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=19207

it seems references to the illness were swiftly removed from the Archbishop of Ottawa's blog to hush it up. The Roman Catholics just haven't quite grasped that "honesty" is a Christian virtue, have they? :D

Karl Lehmann, German, born 1936, has unspecified health problems that were bad enough to force him to retire early:

"On 15 January 2008, Cardinal Lehmann prematurely stepped down from his post as chairman of the Congregation of German Bishops, citing recent health problems." :D

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Lehmann#..._German_Bishops (citing an article in German.)

Lehmann is the only progressive amongst a very nasty bunch of German cardinals. He has called for an end to priestly celibacy, much to the ire of his colleagues, especially the dreaded Cardinal Meisner (he who used the Nazi term "degenerate art" about a new stain-glassed window.)

Lehmann is considered to be an outside chance to be the next pope.