millwall32

Alex Higgins (And Snooker)

Without wanting to be overly-controversial, it says a lot about the unpredictable nature of death when 27-year-old Paul Hunter can succumb to cancer relatively quickly and Alex "Hurricane" Higgins can seem to battle every demon in his body for years.

Although I will forgive Higgins for everthing after he urinated in a plant pot at a tournament.

I reckon he'll be around, or at least a withered part of him will be, for a long time yet.

I will forgive Higgins for everthing after he urinated in a plant pot at a tournament.

I reckon he'll be around, or at least a withered part of him will be, for a long time yet.

That's more than can be said for the poor plant he pissed on.

On the other hand if the others die off at a rapid rate, he might be world champion again. Could name his price for the movie rights as and when that happens.

see joe the other day he is fine form dont worry about that!!!!!

I saw him the other day too (more recent obviously). He looked like death. Any more ideas on soon to be deceased snooker players anyone?

I have found the answer to my own question.

Apparently Patsy Houlihan died last month.

Alex 'Hurricane' Higgins, frail, poor, lacking his bottom teeth and still reckoning he can make the top 40 snooker players in the world.

Without wanting to be overly-controversial, it says a lot about the unpredictable nature of death when 27-year-old Paul Hunter can succumb to cancer relatively quickly and Alex "Hurricane" Higgins can seem to battle every demon in his body for years.

Although I will forgive Higgins for everthing after he urinated in a plant pot at a tournament.

Paul Hunter died?

Former World No. 12 ranked snooker player, Chris Small is suffering from a spinal disease.

Very peculiar how Small thinks Higgins got £20k because 'his face fits'. Higgins has had more run-ins with the snooker authorities than everyone else combined.

Former World No. 12 ranked snooker player, Chris Small is suffering from a spinal disease.

Very peculiar how Small thinks Higgins got £20k because 'his face fits'. Higgins has had more run-ins with the snooker authorities than everyone else combined.

Given the ravages that Alex's face has undergone in recent years, I doubt if it fits anywhere any more!

By the way, why is Torres shaking hands with Ronnie Corbett in the "RELATED VIDEO" link to the right of the link included above?

I am re-reading a biography of Alex Higins at the moment and I agree with Ray Reardon's comment that Higgins wil probably outlive most of his contemporaries through sheer cunningness.

Entertaining basket case Ronnie O'Sullivan has been 'dicking' around at a press conference in China.

(try 1:20-2:45 and 4:45-5:20 if you're pressed for time)

Here's a newspaper take on the story.

Entertaining basket case Ronnie O'Sullivan has been 'dicking' around at a press conference in China.

(try 1:20-2:45 and 4:45-5:20 if you're pressed for time)

Here's a newspaper take on the story.

Trying to sex up Snooker eh? Well I'm not having it! With its players grasping their long cues, open legged and straddling the table, knocking balls and filling pockets, rubbing their tips before performing a deep screw, to have someone bring sex into it is quite distasteful.....

Guest Cushion pushin'
Trying to sex up Snooker eh? Well I'm not having it! With its players grasping their long cues, open legged and straddling the table, knocking balls and filling pockets, rubbing their tips before performing a deep screw, to have someone bring sex into it is quite distasteful.....

May I be the first to proffer reference to the option of potting either the loose pink or the tight brown?

There is a story in today's News of the World which says Alex Higgins is now down to six stone and has been hospitalised because he is so unwell. His sister says she fears his cancer may have returned.

Alex Higgins has played an exhibition match against Jimmy White in Preston.

Regal manager Chris Cookson, the man behind the event, says that Alex’s appearance may be his last, with fears over the former ace’s failing health. "They are looking forward to see Alex and Jimmy again but there are concerns over Alex’s health and a fear that his cancer has come back. If that was to be the case, we need to cherish these moments"

Alex Higgins has played an exhibition match against Jimmy White in Preston.

Regal manager Chris Cookson, the man behind the event, says that Alex’s appearance may be his last, with fears over the former ace’s failing health. "They are looking forward to see Alex and Jimmy again but there are concerns over Alex’s health and a fear that his cancer has come back. If that was to be the case, we need to cherish these moments"

I would have mixed feelings about picking him for my DDP. He's one of my sporting heroes, despite his many scrapes and generally not coming across as a great person as opposed to a great snooker player, which he undoubtedly was...

Paul Medati "well-known for having a fight with friend and fellow player Alex Higgins in 1986" has died aged 65.

I remember him from the 80s when he featured regularly in the big tournaments without getting beyond the early rounds. I think he also owned and ran a club in Stockport more recently.

Paul Medati "well-known for having a fight with friend and fellow player Alex Higgins in 1986" has died aged 65.

I remember him from the 80s when he featured regularly in the big tournaments without getting beyond the early rounds. I think he also owned and ran a club in Stockport more recently.

From 'The Hurricane' by Bill Borrows :

'He was on it all day,' recalls Medati fifteen years later. 'Drinking, all sorts, you know what I mean? He was absolutely out of his head and it was a Saturday night and he was hassling me to play him. I'm like, "Alex, I've got a club full." So he said, "I am playing Dennis Taylor in the morning." ' The implication was that he needed to practise and the Masters Club had some of the best tables in North West England...'I played him the best of five in the matchroom [a separate room away from the main part of the club],' Medati sighs, 'I beat him three-nil. We played for £100 and then it was double or quits, best of seven. And I stung him again but he was [trying to deal with his domestic problems] and all that s*** and I just said, "I'm going now, keep the money, I don't want the f****** money." So he says "You don't f****** like me." I said "What's up with you?" He said "You don't like me," and other stuff. I told him I had a club to run. He says, "Come in Paul, and shut the door." I went back in, shut the door and we were arguing like hell. Well, it's kicked off between us, hasn't it?'

Higgins was calling Lynn [his wife] on the phone between frames and maintained that Medati told him that his marriage was over and flew into a rage. 'He threw the first punch,' avers Medati with some credibility. 'I was trying to calm him down because he had loads of problems,'. Higgins boasted later of comprehensively winning the fight before adding, by way of an unoriginal postscript, 'You should have seen the other guy.' As was widely reported later, Medati lost his toupee in the scuffle but, predictably, the two men differ wildly about what happened.

I'm even more glad than usual I wasn't out in town last Friday...

The implication was that he needed to practise and the Masters Club had some of the best tables in North West England...

It was indeed the Masters Club that I was referring to. It was probably the fight that made it (in)famous, and why it sticks in my memory that Medati was the owner. I've driven past it recently, it's just a bar now, no longer "Masters".

The implication was that he needed to practise and the Masters Club had some of the best tables in North West England...

It was indeed the Masters Club that I was referring to. It was probably the fight that made it (in)famous, and why it sticks in my memory that Medati was the owner. I've driven past it recently, it's just a bar now, no longer "Masters".

I was a big fan of snooker in the 80s, yet I have to say I've never heard of Medati... :birthday:

• Like 1