harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Boxing Clever?

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

Though I thank you for the reminder, this story reads (to me) like he is basically a nobody in the sport, maybe a 'local kid done good for hisself'?  If by 'making the correct call' we are thinking whether he's a chance of getting a QO, then I agree.  Unless the Bristol Post is on the list of authorities, I'm not certain at all the QO is forthcoming.   I ain't buying he's Drop 40 if he is given 14 days to live this afternoon.  I'm going to investigate though and see what play he got in QO media outlets.
SC

His original diagnosis was announced by the BBC, so there’s no doubt that he’ll receive a QO...

He's a British boxer who won a bunch of British boxing titles and had a long undefeated run iirc. Hence why his illness has been featured on the BBC, Sky, and at least once as a news story on BBC News 24!!!

It's fair enough to not know fame from one country to another, but we don't tend to waltz into the Rotten Dead Pool going "Hey, will this Mario Cuomo dude obit in the US? Not certain the QO is forthcoming!"

• Like 1

20 hours ago, msc said:

He's a British boxer who won a bunch of British boxing titles and had a long undefeated run iirc. Hence why his illness has been featured on the BBC, Sky, and at least once as a news story on BBC News 24!!!

It's fair enough to not know fame from one country to another, but we don't tend to waltz into the Rotten Dead Pool going "Hey, will this Mario Cuomo dude obit in the US? Not certain the QO is forthcoming!"

Aye, and local BBC would nail Deathrace points on its own. I'm likely to pick him in my own dead pool and where QO disputes are concerned my (totally objective) judgement is final. Just sayin'

On 12/25/2017 at 14:00, msc said:

a bunch of British boxing titles

Ahhhhhh here 'tis.  The rub.

^ They might be important, they might mean fuck all, I don't follow boxing. I do know the QO following him DO think they're important enough to mention though.

Chartchai Chionoi, former WBC/WBA flyweight champ, is out for the count in the 76th.

2 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Boxing trainer Pete Stokes, picked by msc hereabouts, has died - https://thewest.com.au/news/south-western-times/bunbury-loses-a-sporting-star-ng-b88735487z

No sign yet of a QO.

Well the hope is Nathanial May wins his world title eliminator in a few months time, and then gets a match with a champion and thus QO's care about him "doing it for his former trainer". There is some sort of method to the madness.

34 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Boxing trainer Pete Stokes, picked by msc hereabouts, has died - https://thewest.com.au/news/south-western-times/bunbury-loses-a-sporting-star-ng-b88735487z

No sign yet of a QO.

"Ah, John. Allow me to introduce my next-door neighbour. John Stokes, this is A Sniveling Little Rat-Faced Git. "

That is a good omen for a certain former politician in Australian, hopefully.

Hopefully that’s also a good sign for a certain Australian rock guitarist who’s currently battling lung cancer...

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Hopefully that’s also a good sign for a certain Australian rock guitarist who’s currently battling lung cancer...

I feel a good sign for them would be remission. :DB)

Dean Francis has had his benefit gig on the 23rd February rescheduled for 1st June due to being very ill the last few weeks.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Dean Francis has had his benefit gig on the 23rd February rescheduled for 1st June due to being very ill the last few weeks.

Interesting. Now, if they expect him to recover, maybe he's suffering from chemo-related pneunomia?

6 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Interesting. Now, if they expect him to recover, maybe he's suffering from chemo-related pneunomia?

It is on his wife Ghalias Facebook page.Seems he has had a lot of chemo and some last minute radiotherapy.Clearly that means he has been well enough for extensive treatment but that it has really taken its toll.

Just now, Sean said:

It is on his wife Ghalias Facebook page.Seems he has had a lot of chemo and some last minute radiotherapy.Clearly that means he has been well enough for extensive treatment but that it has really taken its toll.

I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery in time to see this benefit gig, enjoy the World Cup, and be able to relax to enjoy the big boxing matches in early January 2019. B)

5 minutes ago, msc said:

I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery in time to see this benefit gig, enjoy the World Cup, and be able to relax to enjoy the big boxing matches in early January 2019. B)

Doubt he will see 2019.

Imagine how much of a mook the guy who lost must feel having that on his record.

Didn't even last 24 hours on one Deathlist Cup team.

There was a reason no one brought him up.... everyone had him on their team.  At least he went out a winner.

SC

Joey Giambra, boxing’s “Uncrowned Champion” who fought the best middleweights the 1950s had to offer without ever getting a title shot in that division, died Friday in Las Vegas. He was 86.   The cause of death is still unknown.  

The fighter known as “Buffalo Adonis” was one of the most popular boxers during the sport’s transition from radio to television.  He had a record of 65 wins, 31 knockouts, 10 losses and two draws, and was never stopped in a fight.  His lone title shot came in 1962 when he lost a decision to Denny Moyer for a junior middleweight belt.

SC

Venezuelan fighter Yeison Cohen, 28, was rushed to intensive care earlier this month after suffering a brain haemorrhage.  He had fallen to the ground shortly after his trainer refused to let him enter the ring for the eighth round.  The World Boxing Association announced he died last weekend after the bout in Barranquilla, Colombia.
SC