Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

That UK Election Thing

As I explained in an earlier post, there's little direct contact between Dutch MPs and their electorate. At election time some candidates visit well-attended places, such as markets or shopping centers, to shake hands and kiss babies1, but otherwise they're more visible on TV.

Does the old art of campaigning make such difference in the UK?

____

1Kissing hands and shaking babies is not recommended.

• Like 1

poles indicate we're still heading for a labour-SNP coalition

I have got to go on a foreign business trip on 07th May which will deprive me of my five year highlight of sitting up till 2 in the morning watching the results come in surrounded by colour coded charts and marker pens. Very disappointed.

You only stay up until 2? That's when the real action starts.

It depends how clear the result is going to be and if there are going to be any Michael Portillo moments.

Last time it was a bit depressing and it was horrible in 1992.

The "Portillo Moment" could be Nick Clegg at Sheffield Hallam. Hold on to your energy drinks, his last election result came at 6:30am in 2010!

Esther McVey, Clegg, Danny Alexander, Douglas Alexander... we might be spoiled for Portillo moments in a fortnight.

I really think so Hein. I've done a fair amount of political doorstepping in the past. More so for organisational reasons. Know where your own supporters are. Maybe get more helpers. Thank and assure them. Then find out where any undecided ones are so to better target their needs and allow them to be able to make an informed switch in their voting habit. These are real people, in the real world and I can't think of a better way that they can have first hand knowledge about their own representatives.

Tories will introduce English only rate of taxation. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/william-hague/11559458/William-Hague-pledges-income-tax-rate-just-for-England-to-take-power-away-from-Scots.html

Bit unfair when they've said any new powers for Scotland (and I presume for Wales/NI) can only be used with the permission of Westminster. So England will have the sole right to determine its own rate of tax and also decide whether to permit the adjustment of such rates in any other part of the UK.

Unionists? I despair...

Esther McVey, Clegg, Danny Alexander, Douglas Alexander... we might be spoiled for Portillo moments in a fortnight.

It's summat of a longshot but the Portillo moment might come with someone holding a seat...

There are some near Aberdeen looking to vote Liberal regardless of their real persuasion to prevent Fozzy Bear Salmond making his way to Westminster. Just about do-able in a kind of Martin Bell vs Cash for Questions Neil Hamilton stylee.

That would be up there with Portillo, and also somewhat amusing to see the SNP in number 10 for chinwags about supporting the Labour party with Salmond (for whom this moment was made) stumbling seatless around Scotland with nowt to contribute but opinions.

Got to love the Conservatives...

This one is from an old friend of mine, Dr Nick Palmer, who is standing under the Labour Party ticket again and concerns the Tory Armed Forces Minister Anna Soubry, he clearly wishes to remove from the seat.

In his round robin email (which I'm sure he won't mind me quoting) he says...

"Hustings galore

The next hustings are tomorrow Wednesday, on the subject of education. This one is at Chilwell School at 6.30pm to 8.15pm. Ms Soubry has decided not to attend this one.

The next day, it's the turn of the Beeston Express hustings, one of the largest last time. That one is at College House Junior School in the school hall, from 6.30 to 8.30. Ms Soubry isn't attending that one either, following her dissatisfaction with the previous Beeston debate last week, in which she felt the selection of questions was biased."

So, I ask you?

As she is still being paid her salary, should she not be wishing to make herself available to answer questions on either a narrow or wide range of topics, why should the voters think she would be the best candidate for the role for another 5 year period?

If you were claimigng benefits and didn't turn up to a job interview you would get sanctioned.

• Like 1

poles indicate we're still heading for a labour-SNP coalition

I have got to go on a foreign business trip on 07th May which will deprive me of my five year highlight of sitting up till 2 in the morning watching the results come in surrounded by colour coded charts and marker pens. Very disappointed.

You only stay up until 2? That's when the real action starts.

It depends how clear the result is going to be and if there are going to be any Michael Portillo moments.

Last time it was a bit depressing and it was horrible in 1992.

The "Portillo Moment" could be Nick Clegg at Sheffield Hallam. Hold on to your energy drinks, his last election result came at 6:30am in 2010!

If I was at home I get up at 5.30 every morning so that would be seeable fresh from a nights sleep.

As I will be in Europe I will be an hour ahead. It is possible the hotel will show BBC One or at least BBC world.

Guest Guest

VOTE SNP :champagne:

Why does Danny Alexander remind me of Beaker from the Muppet Show?

• Like 1

He's like the exact half-way point between Steve Davis and James Wade.

I have to confess,and it kills me to say it, Im admiring old hatchet faced Nicola Sturgeons excellent Election campaign.

She has got Westminster by the bollocks now. What do you do when your electorate votes to reject separation from the rest of the UK? Why, you force the rest of the UK to reject Scotland!!!!!!

Yep, her offer of a coalition with Labour has got the rest of the UK grinding their fuggin teeth at the idea that a bunch of nationalists that already have their own Parliament and, no small amount of Political autonomy, will be able to 'direct political policy' for the rest of the UK.

Ed the twat is shitting bricks, he may well need the SNP but it will also hasten the end of a union he supports and make a snap election more likely with the possibility that A.N Other will enjoy sweeping to power with a clear overall majority.

Or summat.

Reminder for anybody else who views this as the hughlight of five years - new regs mean virtually every count will be done overnight unlike 2010.

Voted. Going to seem really weird not actually going to a polling station on polling day. Even before I could vote I'd walk across to the station and watch people going in for a bit. EDIT: Greens for those who care, not particular fussed by this secret ballot thing on anonymous forum.

I was in Canada last time and so had a proxy vote, so it'll be the first time I will be voting in the GE at a polling station for 10 years...

A 1000 internets for the person who can rustle up a picture of him in the same shot as Eric Pickles. You have Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew in full view...

I was in Canada last time and so had a proxy vote, so it'll be the first time I will be voting in the GE at a polling station for 10 years...

Is Keith Vaz your MP?

A 1000 internets for the person who can rustle up a picture of him in the same shot as Eric Pickles. You have Beaker and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew in full view...

Is this cheating?

_64829765_64829764.jpg

Actually can go one better although it's a shutterstock image

stock-photo-london-april-vince-cable-dan

So, is Ed Milliband sexy now?

Personally, I think it's fascinating that the two key players of Barack Obama's campaigns now advise opposite parties in the UK election. I was obsessed with US politics for a couple of years and followed his campaigns closely. I wonder what a "ground game" can do in the UK. Evidence of its benefit in increasing turnout was there, but the effect was small in 2008 and possibly a bit larger in 2012. In 2012, the polls predicted an Obama victory by 2% of the popular vote but he won by about 4%. I think it doesn't translate quite as well in the UK election system, but let's see...

I studied political science for a while (ultimately without success though), and I made the prediction that the UK election (in 2010) would result in a coalition government, while my professor claimed that Labour's structural advantage would give them the victory. Ah, that was a last triumph. However, I also predicted (to myself) that a lib-lab (or lab-lib?) coalition would emerge which, of course, turned out wrong. I thought that Labour was better suited for the Liberals than the Conservatives, and I think that turned out to be right. All the accumulated credibility of the Liberals collapsed in a couple of years... I do look forward to the upcoming election though, I think it's quite unpredictable.

• Like 1

So, is Ed Milliband sexy now?

Personally, I think it's fascinating that the two key players of Barack Obama's campaigns now advise opposite parties in the UK election. I was obsessed with US politics for a couple of years and followed his campaigns closely. I wonder what a "ground game" can do in the UK. Evidence of its benefit in increasing turnout was there, but the effect was small in 2008 and possibly a bit larger in 2012. In 2012, the polls predicted an Obama victory by 2% of the popular vote but he won by about 4%. I think it doesn't translate quite as well in the UK election system, but let's see...

I studied political science for a while (ultimately without success though), and I made the prediction that the UK election (in 2010) would result in a coalition government, while my professor claimed that Labour's structural advantage would give them the victory. Ah, that was a last triumph. However, I also predicted (to myself) that a lib-lab (or lab-lib?) coalition would emerge which, of course, turned out wrong. I thought that the Labour was better suited for the Liberals than the Conservatives, and I think that turned out to be right. All the accumulated credibility of the Liberals collapsed in a couple of years... I do look forward to the upcoming election though, I think it's quite unpredictable.

The only thing certain about the next election is nobody is the government won't be popular and the seats in parliament won't reflective the vote share.

Is this cheating?

_64829765_64829764.jpg

That's the official photo?

No wonder they were a shambles...

• Like 1

Is this cheating?

_64829765_64829764.jpg

That's the official photo?

No wonder they were a shambles...

So they wont be counting on your vote then? :lol:

I still don't know who to vote for. I did a couple of those internet test things to determine who I should vote for based on my answers to various questions - one test said I should vote for the Green Party and the other said UKIP. I don't really know what to make of that.

• Like 2