football_fan

Dead Drummers

A surprising number of drummers have met their demise this year. Below is a list of some the more notable ones that have passed on.

• Robert Dorsey, 58, "various bands", cancer – died Jan. 9th, 2005
  • Spencer Dryden, 66, "Jefferson Airplane", cancer – died Jan. 11th, 2005
  • Mark Evans, 48, "Warrior Soul", strangulation – died Jan. 26th, 2005
  • Jim Capaldi, 60, "Traffic", cancer – died Jan. 28th, 2005
  • Keith Knudsen, 56, "Doobie Brothers", pneumonia – died Feb. 8th, 2005
  • Dick Thyne, 59, "Sandelles", motorcycle accident – died Feb. 11th, 2005
  • Chris Curtis, 63, "The Searchers", natural causes – died Feb. 28th, 2005
  • Larry Bunker, 76, "various bands", stroke – died Mar. 8th, 2005
  • Jakson Spires, 53, "Blackfoot", brain hemorrhage – died Mar. 16th, 2005
  • Ken Johnson, 53, "Steve Miller Band & The Chi-Lites", diabetes – died Mar. 19th, 2005
  • Russell Hayes-Cook, 52, "The Geritones", heart attack – died Mar. 24th, 2005
  • Paul Hester, 46, "Crowded House", suicide – died Mar. 28th, 2005
  • Barry Stern, 27, "Zoetrope", complications from surgery – died Apr. 1st, 2005
  • Stan Levey, 79, "various bands", cancer – died Apr. 19th, 2005
  • Frankie LaRocka, 51, "Bryan Adams", heart surgery complication – died May 11th, 2005
  • Basil Kirchin, 77, cancer – died June 18th, 2005
  • Michael Dahlquist, 39, "Silkworm", car accident – died July 14th, 2005
  • Like 1

So how about a list of ones still alive but old/sick?

• Like 1

[*]Basil Kirchin, 77, cancer – died June 18th, 2005

I didn't know he was dead, an acquired taste was Mr Kirchin, but certainly worth the effort.

obit.

• Like 1

Guest Adagio

Maybe Lars Ulrich will be next.

Charlie Watts, 64 of the Rolling Stones was diagnosed with throat cancer last year, but has since recovered.

There are 2 other drummers that I have in mind that are in ill health:

• Chris Wilson, 26, "Good Charlotte" – left his band due to an undisclosed illness (rumored to be leukemia)
  • Billy Brimblecom, "Blackpool Lights & formerly The Start" - cancer

Carlo Little

Was asked to be the drummer with the Rolling Stones, but turned it down. Drummed with Screaming Lord Sutch, amongst others.

Can't find much more than this brief obit at the moment.

True: His burger bars turned a fine trade when The Rolling Stones played at Wembley.

Carlo Little

Was asked to be the drummer with the Rolling Stones, but turned it down. Drummed with Screaming Lord Sutch, amongst others.

Can't find much more than this brief obit at the moment.

that has to go down as one of the worst show business career moves, like Shelley Long leaving Cheers to pursue her film "career", or Abe Lincoln choosing to go to the theatre.

that has to go down as one of the worst show business career moves

Another article says "he opted to stay with Cyril Davies and the All Stars"... 'nuff said!

Seriously though, seems that the man was happy in his choice and didn't regret it. After all, Charlie Watts died about 20 years ago - it's just that nobody noticed!

Here's a more in-depth obit from the Grauniad:

Carlo Little

No wonder "Cyril Davies R&B All-Stars" didn't make it big with a name like that!

Guest Mr Ed

Basil Kirchin, who died in Hull this year, as well as being NME drummer of the year , year after year in the 50s, ended up as an experimental avante guarde composer and even got the local Homebase store in hull to shut up shop one day so he could record the squeeky wheels on the trolleys for one of his pieces ! Also in the 50s, years before Hendrix had burnt his guitar, Basil was playing drums that he had set on fire ! a true english eccentric/genius !

Guest Guest_Star Crossed

Ginger Baker, my favourite drummer of all time, is a spritely 66. From this link it seems he's still gigging and looking not too bad. Probably not a decent DL candidate until at least 2010, I reckon.

However, on the plus side, he did do a prodigious quantity of Heroin, LSD and Speed back in the day. He made Clapton look like Sister Lucia, and Keith Moon look like her novice.

I suspect those heady days of the late 60s/early 70s must be catching up with him...

I'll be wearing a black armband the day he dies but come on, Ginger, give me a Deathlist prediction-come-true to cheer about, eh?

Seeing this thread inspired me to dig out the DVD of Spinal Tap. My twelve year old watched it as well and got more of the jokes than I would have done at his age.

Classic!

Max Roach, is an American drummer from the golden age of jazz in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Some of the more notable jazz artists that he performed with include Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Coleman Hawkins, Bud Powell and Miles Davis.

At 81 and in frail health, combined with the effects of Alzheimer’s disease, he could be meeting his maker soon.

combined with the effects of Alzheimer’s disease,

Max Roach, is an American drummer from the golden age of jazz in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Some of the more notable jazz artists that he performed with include Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Coleman Hawkins, Bud Powell and Miles Davis.

At 81 and in frail health, combined with the effects of Alzheimer’s disease, he could be meeting his maker soon.

"The Worried Drummer"

Another one down - a real one this time! ;)

Guest Mr Magoo

Dead drummers "Rock", who can forget "Moon The Loon"? ;)

Guest Mr Magoo

I'm your wicked Uncle Ernie, I'm glad you won't see or hear me as I fiddle about! ;)

Oddly enough, one drummer still thrashing away is Clyde Stubblefield. A man who'd be forgiven for becoming bitter, twisted and suicidal.

Clyde - a king of ryhthm if ever such a man existed - was James Brown's drummer in the sixties. He's the man on Funky Drummer and therefore the man sampled every time. He was on salary, James Brown directed the band and therefore 'wrote' the songs. So Brown gets the money despite the fact that most samples of James Brown records don't include Brown's voice and often include Clyde Stubblefield's drums.

Bayside drummer, John Holohan, dies in car accident

The drummer of a Long Island rock band died and two other band members were severely injured when their tour van flipped on an icy road in Wyoming, police said.

John (Beatz) Holohan, 31, originally of Miller Place, was the newest member of the alternative rock band, Bayside, which formed on Long Island in 2000.

Keith Moon also the best mate of the Late Great Vivian Stanshall, oh to have spent half an hour in their company, never mind might still get it in Heaven or.....Hell!

• Like 1