Lady Die

The Death Penalty

Do you agree with the Death Penalty?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A sorry tale,which the denial of access to an AK47 may have prevented.

Or beer.

They tried getting rid of the latter; that didn't work. As for getting rid of the former, over, hell and freezes are three words that come to mind.

Guest Grimmrpm999

Capital punishment is a human construct,as such it will always be prone to errors or manipulation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_and_Ethel_Rosenberg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Evans

In the Rosenberg example it would appear that Ethel, although complicit in her husband activities was factually innocent of the actions for which she was executed. 5 flicks of the swich and Smoke coming of her.

In the Evans case, It seems that someone persuaded him to confess to a double murder commited by Richard Christy. Evans was tried, convicted and hanged. Later, after his arrest, Christy confessed to those murders!

Capital punishment is a human construed,as such it will always be prone to errors or manipulation.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_and_Ethel_Rosenberghttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Evans

In the Rosenberg example it would appear that Ethel, although complicit in her husband activities was factually innocent of the actions for which she was executed. 5 flicks of the swich and Smoke coming of her.

In the Evans case, It seems that someone persuaded him to confess to a double murder commited by Richard Christy. Evans was tried, convicted and hanged. Later, after his arrest, Christy confessed to those murders!

ok so what do you suppose should be done with the likes of Ted Bundy and Graham dryer.

Capital punishment is a human construct,as such it will always be prone to errors or manipulation.

Then John Christie was also innocent of the murders of mother and baby Evans when he was dropped. Fascinating.

• Like 1

Then John Christie was also innocent of the murders of mother and baby Evans when he was dropped. Fascinating.

I thought Richard Christy was on the Howard Stern Radio show.

It seems he has an, eh, interesting hobby.

OK, That's right, kick the fool. I couldn't find my specs and saw Reginald as Richard! Yep, Stoopid! 'cause neither is his first name. Meanwhile, in another universe, Richard Christy the mass murderer did do it! And he was hanged!

It seems he has an, eh, interesting hobby.

I don't think I want to know. :smoking-smiley:

OK, That's right, kick the fool. I couldn't find my specs and saw Reginald as Richard! Yep, Stoopid! 'cause neither is his first name. Meanwhile, in another universe, Richard Christy the mass murderer did do it! And he was hanged!

you fucking wot mate. Richard Christy was innocent and his neighbor Timothy Evans was the guy that really did it. Richard was wrongly hanged.
  • Like 1

The death penalty gives rise to some contradictory feelings. I accept that some crimes seem to merit the most severe sanctions. That life in prison is considered as a poor substitute is also a given when when the cost of prison long term is used to counter it's use. That giving the victims families some sense of justice is important. Against this are the idea that a life for a life is not a fair trade. How should it be done? Is any person worth more or less than another. We no longer have capital punishment in the UK but it seems that crime figures show it didn't have an effect. There wasn't an increase in murder as a crime when hanging was abolished. I'm conflicted because it is an area that can open so many lines of debate both for and against. But I'm still inclined to think it should only be used in the most extreme circumstances. That represents a shift in my attitude. Before reading through the debate presented here I was definitely against. Now, I'm not sure. Thank you Death Listers.

Assassin, you do not exist in my alternate universe. How do you know what goes on there? That's your construct! And that would be Trevor Evans, yer numpty!

Going back to the original question about Bundy etc People like that can't really be integrated back in to society.

Perhaps the best thing is to study them to find out what causes people to become serial killers, rather than just executing them.

Had been going through the various post WW2 trials, and one thing I found surprising is that most of the executions were of the short drop variety.

Now that seems at odds with a humane disposal.

There was a few short drop pole versions but at least with that somebody would break the neck.

Oldest man on death row in Georgia has been exectuted

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35480658

Brandon Astor Jones (72) was sentenced to the death penalty 36 years ago, after being convicted of killing a shop manager during a robbery.

• Like 1

The Florida state Senate just passed a compromise bill on Thursday that would overhaul Florida’s death sentencing law, allowing the state to resume death penalty prosecutions by making it harder for juries to send someone to death row.

SC

Next up: Texas prisoner Coy Wesbrook. Today is his magic day! He’ll be executed for a Houston-area shooting rampage more than 18 years ago that left five people dead. Wesbrook, 58, is scheduled for lethal injection for the 1997 shooting rampage during a party at his ex-wife’s apartment.

As for the 61% of you that would keep this POS alive on my tax dollar..... too bad so sad.
SC

(Edit: 18 goddamn years. At a preposterously low guess of $2/meal, that's $39,420 he cost us. At a more reasonable $5/meal that's $98,550).

killers don't deserve to die, they deserve punishment, there should be a torture punishment, but of course human rights activists would protest for a certain someone who "accidentally" killed at least 10-15 people, they should be caught, tortured for a couple of months/years and then let them die, there would be no Anders Breivik if justice was right and judges were not pussies, those human rights activists would speak different if someone from their family was killed...accident could be if you kill 1 person, but not 77.....killers lose all their human rights by my opinion, they are nothing but toxic waste who should burn in public just like they used to, the only justice for them is to let them scream while they die slowly so future mass killers see what awaits

• Like 1

Next up: Texas prisoner Coy Wesbrook. Today is his magic day! He’ll be executed for a Houston-area shooting rampage more than 18 years ago that left five people dead. Wesbrook, 58, is scheduled for lethal injection for the 1997 shooting rampage during a party at his ex-wife’s apartment.

As for the 61% of you that would keep this POS alive on my tax dollar..... too bad so sad.

SC

(Edit: 18 goddamn years. At a preposterously low guess of $2/meal, that's $39,420 he cost us. At a more reasonable $5/meal that's $98,550).

If you are so concerned about your 'goddamn' tax dollars, spend a few of them fighting the NRA and trying to change your daft 2nd amendment such that drunken bums at parties can't go on shooting sprees in the first place (or disaffected students can't or.... etc etc).

I can very well imagine it's not impossible to kill a bunch of people whilst stumbling around with a machete if one were determined enough and of a certain persuasion in the first place, but I'm willing to wager theres a lot less people with the cohones for that after one beer too many than with a gun.

• Like 1

SC

If you are so concerned about your 'goddamn' tax dollars, spend a few of them fighting the NRA and trying to change your daft 2nd amendment such that drunken bums at parties can't go on shooting sprees in the first place (or disaffected students can't or.... etc etc).

I can very well imagine it's not impossible to kill a bunch of people whilst stumbling around with a machete if one were determined enough and of a certain persuasion in the first place, but I'm willing to wager theres a lot less people with the cohones for that after one beer too many than with a gun.

A party in Texas wouldn't be complete if someone didn't pack a piece.

Alcohol and guns, what could possibly go wrong?

ATF isn't supposed to be a mission statement afaik....

Alcohol and guns, what could possibly go wrong?

ATF isn't supposed to be a mission statement afaik....

Well in this case it was more of him taking out his grievances on his ex-wife as she was able to get over their relationship and he obviously wasn't.

So while she was holding a party (and jumping the bones of her new beau), he decided he'd kill them.

Would he be a threat to anyone else? Probably not as he had killed the target of his rage. Would he have the need for anger therapy? The answer would probably be yes.

Y'all can listen in live to Execution Watch on radio KPFT tonight between midnight and 1am GMT (6pm and 7pm CT). :grave: