maryportfuncity

Comedians & Comedy Writers

The Comedians was massive once over but it's strange that IMBD - normally a mecca for anorak who know their facts - doesn't post a birthdate for half the performers. Has anyone around the UK noticed the likes of Charlie Daze playing a local club? How many of this lot are still alive? Some of them will be well into their seventies now, late nights, loadsa fags and drink, stressful job. We could have us some future winners here.

• Like 1

The Comedians was massive once over but it's strange that IMBD - normally a mecca for anorak who know their facts - doesn't post a birthdate for half the performers. Has anyone around the UK noticed the likes of Charlie Daze playing a local club? How many of this lot are still alive? Some of them will be well into their seventies now, late nights, loadsa fags and drink, stressful job. We could have us some future winners here.

The only two of The Comedians who are famous enough and likely to die in the near future are; Bernard Manning, not a well man at all, such a shame :party:

The other one is Frank Carson who'll be 80 in november, the others like Jim Bowen, Roy Walker, Tom O'Connor and Mike Reid are all a bit young really.

The only two of The Comedians who are famous enough and likely to die in the near future are; Bernard Manning, not a well man at all, such a shame :party:

The other one is Frank Carson who'll be 80 in november, the others like Jim Bowen, Roy Walker, Tom O'Connor and Mike Reid are all a bit young really.

Russ Abbot's had a couple of close shaves with heart problems. I think he was told to quit smoking by his doctor or suffer a possible fatal heart attack.

Laughter is something like no other, laughter is happiness and that is what comedians bring. Well Phyllis Diller is still alive, and Joey Bishop is still around. I'm sure there are a couple of faded names still alive.

Disagree Tempus, given the interest in Charlie Williams I'd say Lennie Bennett, Stan Boardman, Duggie Brown (who'd done some straight acting as well), Russ Abbot, Bernard Manning, Tom O'Connor and Roy Walker should all get 'proper' obits.

Granted, some of the others have fallen so far off the radar they'll probably just get spotted by us.

Disagree Tempus, given the interest in Charlie Williams I'd say Lennie Bennett, Stan Boardman, Duggie Brown (who'd done some straight acting as well), Russ Abbot, Bernard Manning, Tom O'Connor and Roy Walker should all get 'proper' obits.

If you read it properly, Tempus wasn't saying that they weren't famous, MPFC, just not likely to die soon.

Aye, apologies. And he's right about the blisteringly awful Mike Reid too, that bastard'll get an obit.

A post on the Krankies thread suggests Ken Goodwin dusted off the old ukelele banjo for a gig in October last year. Bet his old bones are creaking a bit now.

The IMDB list hardly covers any of it. Typical US bias. After doing some quite basic research, the following:-

Russ Abbot .... ALIVE b. 1947

Lennie Bennett .... ALIVE b. 1938. Had a h/a in 1994, but now recovered.

Stan Boardman .... ALIVE, sadly. b. 1940 His daughter, Andrea was pretty though.

Jim Bowen .... ALIVE b. 1937

Jimmy Bright .... b. 1950, still performing.

Duggie Brown .... ALIVE, b. 1940. Sister Lynne Perrie died earlier this year.

Roy Walker .... ALIVE - say what you see, say what you see, b. 1940

Charlie Williams .... <_<

Alan Brady ??

Mike Burton ??

Dave Butler - ALIVE. Still performing

Kenny Cantor - ALIVE. Still performing

Jackie Carlton ??

Frank Carson - ALIVE. b. 1926. Still performing.

Paddy Cassidy ??

Mike Coyne ??

Colin Crompton :rip:

Steve Faye ??

Ray Fell - ALIVE. Still performing

Eddie Flanagan :rip:

Stu Francis b. 1951. Still doing panto.

Syd Francis :rip: (died earlier this year, with barely a mention, MPFC)

Alan Fox ALIVE - still performing

Mike Goddard - ALIVE. Another cruise comic.

Ken Goodwin - ALIVE - still performing.

Jackie Hamilton - ALIVE. Later a BBC comedy producer.

Jerry Harris ??

Dennis Jones ??

Bobby Knoxall - ALIVE. Got an MBE last year. Still performing, but nearly died 2 years ago due to blood clot in stomach. b. 1934.

Bernard Manning - ALIVE, sadly. b. 1930. In poor health lately.

Jimmy Marshall :rip:

Paul Melba - ALIVE, still performing

Pat Mooney - ALIVE, still performing

Johnny More - still ALIVE, performing. Better known as an impressionist, really.

Hector Nicol :rip:

Tom O'Connor b. 1939- ALIVE

Bryn Phillips - ALIVE & performing

Colin Price - ALIVE & performing

Mike Reid - ALIVE, b. 1940

George Roper :rip:

Tony Stewart ALIVE - still performing

Sammy Thomas ??

Johnny 'Goon' Tweed ??

Johnny Wager - ALIVE & still performing.

Jos White ??

Stu Williams ??

Sheps Banjo Boys - all still performing, all ALIVE.

Johnny Carroll - ALIVE. Still performing

Bob Curtiss - ALIVE. Still performing

Ivor Davies - ALIVE

Charlie Daze - ALIVE, b. 1938. Still performing

Vince Earl - ALIVE - more famous for being in Brookside. b. 1944

Bobby Kaye - ALIVE - still performing (In Colwyn Bay on Saturday, apparently)

Mike Kelly - ALIVE - still performing

George King - ALIVE

Bobby Knutt - ALIVE b. 1945

Mick Miller - ALIVE b. 1950, still performing

Hal Nolan - ALIVE. Still performing.

Harry Scott - ALIVE. Still performing

Paul Shane - ALIVE, sadly, b. 1940

Kenny Smiles - ALIVE. Doing cruises.

Paul Squire ALIVE

Pat Tansey - ALIVE, still performing, mainly corporate functions

Lee Wilson - ALIVE. b. 1938. Still performing.

Lenny Windsor - ALIVE, apparently living in Florida. Still does performing on the cruises.

The Comedians

You know, if they were at a reunion & the reunion meeting place got bombed, I doubt few tears would be shed.

Most of these will not get obits, apart from the most famous ones already mentioned. In other words, don't put many of these on your DP lists in the future & concentrate your efforts elsewhere. This lot ain't worth it.

That's sterling work OoO, amazing how many of them there were, or how little remembered some of them now are. Like I said earlier, Ken Goodwin was certainly gigging as recently as Oct 26th last year. In Coventry.

Wow OoO, that is one long list of comedic mediocrity. I'd forgotten Russ Abbot was even in it, god he was so unfunny it was painful, how on earth he got his own prime time show feck knows.

Stu Francis !! christ sake that man couldn't be funny if his life depended on it.

Just gazing at that list brings back bad TV memories from yesteryear, fair makes me shudder it does.

Wow OoO, that is one long list of comedic mediocrity. I'd forgotten Russ Abbot was even in it, god he was so unfunny it was painful, how on earth he got his own prime time show feck knows.

Stu Francis !! christ sake that man couldn't be funny if his life depended on it.

Just gazing at that list brings back bad TV memories from yesteryear, fair makes me shudder it does.

It was sheer hell just researching it. <_<

Well, it's taught me one thing. I'm never going to go on a cruise. One or more of the above will bound to be the "star" comedian and there will be no escape.

I stand by my reunion & bomb comments.

The IMDB list hardly covers any of it. Typical US bias. After doing some quite basic research, the following:-

Russ Abbot .... ALIVE b. 1947

Lennie Bennett .... ALIVE b. 1938. Had a h/a in 1994, but now recovered.

Stan Boardman .... ALIVE, sadly. b. 1940 His daughter, Andrea was pretty though.

Jim Bowen .... ALIVE b. 1937

Jimmy Bright .... b. 1950, still performing.

Duggie Brown .... ALIVE, b. 1940. Sister Lynne Perrie died earlier this year.

Roy Walker .... ALIVE - say what you see, say what you see, b. 1940

Charlie Williams .... <_<

Alan Brady ??

Mike Burton ??

Dave Butler - ALIVE. Still performing

Kenny Cantor - ALIVE. Still performing

Jackie Carlton ??

Frank Carson - ALIVE. b. 1926. Still performing.

Paddy Cassidy ??

Mike Coyne ??

Colin Crompton :rip:

Steve Faye ??

Ray Fell - ALIVE. Still performing

Eddie Flanagan ??

Stu Francis b. 1951. Still doing panto.

Syd Francis :rip: (died earlier this year, with barely a mention, MPFC)

Alan Fox ALIVE - still performing

Mike Goddard - ALIVE. Another cruise comic.

Ken Goodwin - ALIVE - still performing.

Jackie Hamilton - ALIVE. Later a BBC comedy producer.

Jerry Harris ??

Dennis Jones ??

Bobby Knoxall - ALIVE. Got an MBE last year. Still performing, but nearly died 2 years ago due to blood clot in stomach. b. 1934.

Bernard Manning - ALIVE, sadly. b. 1930. In poor health lately.

Jimmy Marshall :rip:

Paul Melba - ALIVE, still performing

Pat Mooney - ALIVE, still performing

Johnny More - still ALIVE, performing. Better known as an impressionist, really.

Hector Nicol :rip:

Tom O'Connor b. 1939- ALIVE

Bryn Phillips - ALIVE & performing

Colin Price - ALIVE & performing

Mike Reid - ALIVE, b. 1940

George Roper :rip:

Tony Stewart ALIVE - still performing

Sammy Thomas ??

Johnny 'Goon' Tweed ??

Johnny Wager - ALIVE & still performing.

Jos White ??

Stu Williams ??

Sheps Banjo Boys - all still performing, all ALIVE.

Johnny Carroll - ALIVE. Still performing

Bob Curtiss - ALIVE. Still performing

Ivor Davies - ALIVE

Charlie Daze - ALIVE, b. 1938. Still performing

Vince Earl - ALIVE - more famous for being in Brookside. b. 1944

Bobby Kaye - ALIVE - still performing (In Colwyn Bay on Saturday, apparently)

Mike Kelly - ALIVE - still performing

George King - ALIVE

Bobby Knutt - ALIVE b. 1945

Mick Miller - ALIVE b. 1950, still performing

Hal Nolan - ALIVE. Still performing.

Harry Scott - ALIVE. Still performing

Paul Shane - ALIVE, sadly, b. 1940

Kenny Smiles - ALIVE. Doing cruises.

Paul Squire ALIVE

Pat Tansey - ALIVE, still performing, mainly corporate functions

Lee Wilson - ALIVE. b. 1938. Still performing.

Lenny Windsor - ALIVE, apparently living in Florida. Still does performing on the cruises.

The Comedians

You know, if they were at a reunion & the reunion meeting place got bombed, I doubt few tears would be shed.

Most of these will not get obits, apart from the most famous ones already mentioned. In other words, don't put many of these on your DP lists in the future & concentrate your efforts elsewhere. This lot ain't worth it.

Tsk tsk OoO you missed Norman Collier the chicken impersonator and not so famous Yorkshireman (born 1934 and still performing). How could you?

Tsk tsk OoO you missed Norman Collier the chicken impersonator and not so famous Yorkshireman (born 1934 and still performing). How could you?

I didn't miss anyone - those were all the names given on "The Comedians" website. If there's any missing, the site is to blame.

Though it is easy to overlook Collier as a "comedian", I grant you.

Collier 'made it' after a fashion mind, taking over The Golden Shot after Bob Monkhouse quit.

Tom O'Conner is still performing. He's over here later in the month doing "An Evening with Tom O'Conner" at the Gaeity Theatre.

I didn't miss anyone - those were all the names given on "The Comedians" website. If there's any missing, the site is to blame.

Though it is easy to overlook Collier as a "comedian", I grant you.

I'm only going from memory but I'm pretty sure that Collier was on the Comedians. I have been trying to track down his chicken joke but it must have died.

Norman Collier does have his own IMDB page. I'd have said he was on The Comedians too although our collective memories could be in meltdown and confusing it with the other great show he is credited with.....Joker's Wild.

He'll be 72 on Christmas Day.

Norman Collier does have his own IMDB page. I'd have said he was on The Comedians too although our collective memories could be in meltdown and confusing it with the other great show he is credited with.....Joker's Wild.

He'll be 72 on Christmas Day.

I'd thought about that but I never watched Joker's Willd but I did watch the Comedians. It was crap but compelling. I think they have missed him off their list. I once played football against Charlie Williams who I think once played for Bradford City or was it Doncaster Rovers?

I'm only going from memory but I'm pretty sure that Collier was on the Comedians. I have been trying to track down his chicken joke but it must have died.

There wasn't a chicken joke as such, just that he used to impersonate one. ...The real joker in this package tour is Norman Collier, another Comedians graduate who has created two classic routines - walking on stage like a chicken and grappling with a microphone that keeps going on and off. Daily Express 2001

I'm just glad I'm too young to have seen the guy.

Ah Godot, I've been waiting for you.....to ask that question.

Doncaster Rovers, definitely

There wasn't a chicken joke as such, just that he used to impersonate one. ...The real joker in this package tour is Norman Collier, another Comedians graduate who has created two classic routines - walking on stage like a chicken and grappling with a microphone that keeps going on and off. Daily Express 2001

I'm just glad I'm too young to have seen the guy.

He as hi io . Tru y a tal .

I think I saw him in panto, though he wasn't the main star. One of those on that list that I did see was Russ Abbott, and he was genuinely great.

I have to confess to thinking that Norman Collier's broken mic routine was side-splittingly funny at the time, but I was in my teens then. It was at least original (though someone's probably going to tell me he nicked it from some old Tommy Cockles-style music hall act), and so a breath of fresh air when set against the mother-in-law jokes, etc..

He let himself down with the chicken routine though. And maybe when one realised that those 2 things were all his act consisted of, it was time to seek out more sophisticated entertainment.

Bernie Clifton anyone?

DL is sophisticated entertainment compared to most of what The Comedians offered. You could get videos a while back. Those mother in law jokes in particular have dated beyond repair.

In case our friend Bruno happens upon this thread, here is a picture of Bernie Clifton which serves to illustrate the subtlety of his act:

BConOstrich.jpg

• Like 1