Grim Reaper

Susan Atkins

So... should they let her out?

I say yes. Everybody deserves mercy. Aren't those who made the decision to deny her parole setting a very bad example when it comes to displaying qualities of compassion and forgiveness?

Individuals can show mercy. The Government should abide by the sentence Life without parole. Let her die in jail.

Nope, not having it.

She wasn't sentenced to life without parole. She was sentenced to death and her sentence was then commuted to life imprisonment with the possibility of parole, hence her regular parole hearings. I don't think the sentence of life without parole existed on the statute books in 1970s California, although I stand to be corrected on that.

Susan Atkins did a terrible thing forty years ago, while out of her mind on LSD and heavily under the influence of Manson's cult. She has been a model prisoner ever since and spent decades repenting for her crimes. She poses no threat whatsoever and deserves mercy in her dying days.

• Angry 1

So... should they let her out?

I say yes. Everybody deserves mercy. Aren't those who made the decision to deny her parole setting a very bad example when it comes to displaying qualities of compassion and forgiveness?

Individuals can show mercy. The Government should abide by the sentence Life without parole. Let her die in jail.

Nope, not having it.

She wasn't sentenced to life without parole. She was sentenced to death and her sentence was then commuted to life imprisonment with the possibility of parole, hence her regular parole hearings. I don't think the sentence of life without parole existed on the statute books in 1970s California, although I stand to be corrected on that.

Susan Atkins did a terrible thing forty years ago, while out of her mind on LSD and heavily under the influence of Manson's cult. [she has been a model prisoner ever since and spent decades repenting for her crimes. She poses no threat whatsoever and deserves mercy in her dying days.

The issue with with Atkins is that she keeps changing her story and with each retelling she reduces her role in the killings bit by bit , which indicates that she hasn't really taken responsibility for her crimes, also unlike the other girls invloved with the Tate/LaBianca murders, Atkins was a criminal before she'd even met Manson. I agree that she is no danger to anyone anymore but I still think she should die in prison, which she would have done had the original sentence stood. Atkins has been able to get married, study and watch her nieces grow up which is more than she would have done had the original sentence stood.

When she does die she will be surrounded by family, she won't be alone and this is mercy enough. If she's that far gone she won't know where she is anyway but the family of her victims will and for their sake she should die in prison, besides which, prison has been her home for most of life so how would dying in a house she's never visited be any more comfort than dying in prison?

Edit - I'm anti death penalty but I do think a life sentence should mean just that.

(...)

When she does die she will be surrounded by family, she won't be alone and this is mercy enough. If she's that far gone she won't know where she is anyway but the family of her victims will and for their sake she should die in prison, besides which, prison has been her home for most of life so how would dying in a house she's never visited be any more comfort than dying in prison?

(...)

Hmm, I never actually thought about that. Atkins and her hubbie have been so ardently trying to convince everyone of her suitability for parole, that they probably forgot to ask themselves that question too. Having spent forty years in prison, how is a person ever to cope with his freedom? Not that Susan Atkins can be expected to have very ambitious plans for after her release, but who knows?

It reminds me of the old lad with the mouse in 'the Shawshank redemption'. He hung himself, which was tragic, but not if it had concerned Atkins (or Biggs, or Al-Megrahi) - at least not from a DL-point of view.

Guest Guest

Susan Denise Atkins (May 7, 1948 - September 24, 2009)

<---- another hit on my Rotten.com Deadpool = 9 out of 10 = next please, switch off the Sharon!

<---- another hit on my Rotten.com Deadpool = 9 out of 10 = next please, switch off the Sharon!

Welcome to the club. I'm still obligated to pull for ol' Norman, having dropped Atkins to make room for Natasha Richardson. :banghead:

I wonder if they'll let Charles attend the funeral.

Looks like she wasn't putting it on after all...

Aren't they supposed to have a UK report for DL qualification?

The Atkins die-ette.

I am not even going to try improving on that :banghead: - nice work.

Ah, the coverage we need, noticed BBC radio news and website have yet to report it. Deathrace updated, doubtless the other deadpools are well on the way, all told the tonnage of points spread amongst the deadpools here is impressive. I'm sure she'd approve.

Aren't they supposed to have a UK report for DL qualification?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/2...san-atkins-dies

Telegraph

I think we are safe...

I think we are safe...

Get serious, Manson and Squeaky are still breathing.

I think we are safe...

And Squeaky is out!!!!

I think we are safe...

And Squeaky is out!!!!

I'll be concerned when Charlie gets out.

I was off sick on Friday and spent most of the day asleep. When I woke up somehow I knew that SA had probably died because it would happen on a day I couldn't use Facebook. Do you think her death would have got any UK publicity if it happened on a significant anniversary of the killings? Which of the Manson gang do you think will be next to go? I think either Manson or Kasabian .

For more than you ever wished to know on the Manson Family, this site is pretty good.

http://truthontatelabianca.com/index.php